How to find a good intermediate teacher for metal

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by metal4life71, Dec 1, 2019.

1. metal4life71

metal4life71 Active Member

So I've been playing rock and metal type electric guitar for a little over 2 years. I love it and took lessons off and on for a year and then learn songs and technique from books and online videos. I needed a break from lessons due to work schedule change and given that my last teacher only teaches during the week. I know my pentatonic, diatonic scales, power, open and barre chords as well as technique like palm muting and rhythm stuff. I have not learned arpeggios or sweep picking and other advanced stuff like ear training and advanced music theory. What advice would you offer on how to vet a good teacher for this stuff to help me reach an advanced level of playing? I practice daily 1-2 hours and love it.

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Start auditioning teachers in your area? If you expand to online lessons, still audition the teachers.

I had a lesson with Emil Werstler and I found his teaching method to work very well. Just wish I practiced :lol:.

The trick is you want someone who's teaching style fits with your learning style. It already sounds like you have the dedication to practice material given.

sirbuh and metal4life71 like this.
  3. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

echoing budda - take a bunch of lessons with different teachers.
    found 30mins works best for me to size up the teaching style.
    lots of names offer skype lessons these days.

metal4life71 likes this.