How to distinguish between early 2000's Ibanez PGM models?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by WhoThenNow7, Jul 16, 2015.

1. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

A guy is selling a white Ibanez PGM for $450. It has a rosewood fretboard, and it's MIJ. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my experience the two numbers that followed the F indicate the year it was made. So it says F00 and then the rest of the serial number. Made in 2000.. I know there are several models. The PGM3 and PGM30 are the lower end models from what I understand. I did a quick search and on Wikipedia (I know not a reliable source) and it shows the PGM300 with a maple fretboard. It also stated that the PGM3 was introduced in 2002.

The guy selling it doesn't know what model it is.. So I'm trying to figure out what model it is and what the value is on it.

2. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

Check out Ibanezrules.com under the Resources section. Rich Harris and Ibanez have pretty much posted every catalog, manual, diagram, and order form Ibanez has ever made or used. Here is the page from the 2000 catalog for the Paul Gilbert model (its a big .jpg): [​IMG]

If the guitar looks like this one, it is not one of the rare, valuable PGM's. I would save your $450. :2c:

3. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

Awesome, thanks for the post! I'll be sure to use ibanezrules as a reference from now on. Now, let me ask you this.. Since it is still a MIJ ibanez.. Would you pay say.. $200?

4. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

Personally, I would not buy this guitar for any amount of money. I was never a huge fan of Paul Gilbert's guitars and it is a 6 string. With that said, any MIJ Ibanez for $200 is a good deal. In fact, you could probably part it out and make a profit off the guitar. I had big plans for a beat up RG7420 but I ended up selling the parts. I made my money back and then some.

If you like the guitar and want to keep it, rest assured, nothing new in the $200 price range will be remotely close in quality. :yesway: