How to connect Laney IRT Studio to G Flex cab

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Ericjutsu, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

anyone know how I should connect the laney into my genz benz g flex 2x12 cab? The Laney has wither 8 or 16ohms and my G Flex has two inputs: left and right stereo which is 8 ohms or a the right one can be mono as well at 4ohms. I'm not sure how I can hook the Laney up properly with this setup seeing how the mono input is 4 ohms

Here is a pic of the back plate on the G Flex cab

[​IMG]

2. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish SS.org Regular

You could open it up and rewire it so that it is 8ohms mono, like changing it from parallel to series. I don't know what your jackplate looks like on the inside, but if everything is just connected with connectors and not soldered, it should be easy to do. I haven't done it with a stereo cab, not sure if it's more complicated or not.

Just a suggestion :) Someone more skilled in this can probably chime in with clearer or more accurate instructions. (And be sure to mark the change on the plate ...)

3. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

You could rewire the cab to be 16ohms mono, as it has 2 8ohm speakers in it. Wiring the speakers in "series" would do it. Currently the "mono" setting is wired in parallel.

[​IMG]

4. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

yeah they arnt soldered. I actually had to replace the back plate in the past and it was really easy. I guess for now I can just take the 16 ohm out into the 4 ohm in on the cab.

5. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

if I re wire it in series will it no longer be stereo?

6. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

nevermind I'm stupid. My cab has a 4 ohm mono jack AND a 16 ohm mono jack. The pic in this thread isn't of my cab just another gflex cab. I thought they all were the same. I didn't have my cab available at the time but now that I can look at my cab it has an additional 16 ohm mono jack.

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

For future reference, do not do this. With tube amps, if you're going to mismatch the impedance, do it the other way around. Ie. 8 ohm output into a 16 amp cab, or 4 ohm output into an 8 ohm cab. That being said, 4 ohm output into a 16 ohm cab is a pretty big mismatch and may cause other problems.

Running the 16ohm output into a 4 ohm cab will make the tubes run really hot and you'll probably blow something out. Now amps aren't made of paper mache so it can probably take a 2:1 mismatch without too much issue, but I personally wouldn't chance it.

There are much more technical explanations out there from much smarter people than me, and if you want to know more its worth googling.

8. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

My 2x12 Gflexs are wired in 16, 8 and 4 ohm. How'd you get one that is wired like that?

Derek

9. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

I was wrong. That pic is not my cab. I thought they were all the same so just looked at pics of others to see what the back of mine looked like (did not have access to my cab at the time) Mine is the same as yours. 16 or 4 ohms mono or 8 ohms for stereo. What do you think of your gflex cab btw?