How to approach gear (rant, I guess)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Nag, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Fraz666

Fraz666 SS.org Regular

or you can remove the knob.
    Often I remove the knob close to the bridge and put the volume in the other one.
    I hate a knob close to the bridge, damn.

Sad but true.

2. dspellman

dspellman SS.org Regular

Therapy.

It may not actually help, but it'll deplete your pocketbook and reduce your inclination to buy random stuff.
    Guitarists are sheep; they tend to buy what everyone else buys.
    Manufacturers are profit-minded, and they tend to keep making what everyone buys.
    Guitar magazines and YouTubers mostly just nod their heads yes to whatever the manufacturers put out so that they get more advertising dollars, sponsorships, sheepy guitar player subscriptions.

will_shred, broj15 and Marat like this.
  3. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

Whenever the GAS is hitting I put on Gears by Lamb of God and feel ashamed and then I do not buy a thing.

will_shred, Emperoff and Marat like this.
  4. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Really though, the gear market is so completely over saturated and it's completely driven by consumerism. Honestly it's to the point where I don't even like shopping for gear unless I absolutely need something because I feel like Everytime I spend money on gear I'm contributing to the problem.

Emperoff, will_shred and Marat like this.
  5. Marat

Marat SS.org Regular

I just have recalled there is some guy who plays left hended guitar upside down without changing the string order! so his top string is "high e" and bottom string is "low e" and it works for him.
    I think we are thinking too much about what will others think. weird is what makes you different, just embrace it.

6. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Jonny Lang plays right-handed guitars, right-handed, but swaps the strings like you said.

Marat likes this.
  7. Marat

Marat SS.org Regular

maybe it was the opposite? the guy i had in mind plays right handed guitar turned like a lefty without changing strings?

Bodes likes this.
  8. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Ahh... still looks weird and cool at the same time.

9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Every time you double the number of speakers you get 3 dB more. So let's say we have a 100 dB sensitivity 1x12 speaker. Now we get a 2x12 cab with the same speaker model. Now your volume is 103 dB @ 1W @ 1m @ 1 KHz based on the typical way speaker sensitivity is measured. Get a 4x12 and it's now 106 dB.

The fun starts when you have less efficient speakers. My 4x10 cab has 95 dB sensitivity Greenbacks so it's about the same loudness as my 1x12 cab with 100 dB Eminence Maverick. Which is good because the last thing I need is more volume with my 35, 45 and 100W amps. The 4x10 just has a different sound to it thanks to the extra speakers, closed vs open back cab etc. It's fuller but without the muddy lowest lows of the 1x12 and the whole frequency range is shifted up a bit with the 10" speakers. 10" speakers should be more of a thing for guitar.

Marat likes this.
  10. Marat

Marat SS.org Regular

so you are saying that the same amp, same wattage, same impedance, 4x12 will give 6db more than 1db? if i put same identical speakers 4 times with series/parallel connection?

i thought each speaker would basically get only 25% of the amp power...

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

well, it's not that simple.

Each speaker gets less power it's true. But sound reinforces itself.

BUT...it's also not as simple as what laxu is saying. You do get a slight volume increase but only at a specific distance and listening angle in relation to each speaker. And this increase falls off drastically the further you get and wider you are from the center of the speaker.

Basically, there are going to be some spots where the array will act like a big speaker and some spots where the array will act like only 1 speaker getting a fourth of the power.

laxu likes this.
  12. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

@Marat check out some Seal videos when he plays guitars. This is what you are talkig about. Although some times he plays lefty-strung-righty.

13. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Yes man! But also I buy everything second hand these days. There's really zero reason to buy a new guitar that's going to lose 1/3 of its value as soon as you walk out the door. Let someone else take the hit and than buy it on reverb.

My thoughts to the OP: so much of what people say about tone is absolute garbage. It's not that I don't listen to other people's opinions on tone, it's that there are few people who's opinions I value on the subject :lol:

broj15 and efiltsohg like this.
  14. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Both are lefties using right hand guitars that are strung normally, so the high E is the top string.

sirbuh likes this.
  15. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I’m trying hard to adopt this philosophy:
    8B77EE6F-1B40-479C-9579-38CE6E72A3C7.jpeg

NotQuiteWes, odibrom and budda like this.
  16. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I find getting offline helps (seriously). Forums are wells of info but easily a timesuck.

Emperoff, odibrom and Deadpool_25 like this.
  17. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

100% correct.

NotQuiteWes and budda like this.
  18. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I enjoy deep nerding on gears... YT vids, forum discussions, all of it. If I am in the market I like to be informed.

The best way to know something is to try it and spend some time on it, find out for ya'self sometimes. There are certain sounds I prefer that no one else dials in typical demos, so I have to get hands on to truly see the capability of anything. Unfortunately it can be expensive to roll a lot of gear but over time I ended up with what I liked 1 bass/amp/cab, 1 guitar/amp/cab and fine tuned the details.

In a live scenario I dont think the average person has the ear for tone, if it's ripping it's ripping. But if you are like me and been listening to heavy for a million yrs, I enjoy digesting it all and noticing the flavors used in recordings and speculating about how they got 'em.