How to achieve next level?

Droontar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I play in an instrumental metal band (post, djent, prog, death...) and we've recorded our second EP (just two songs haha). We're starting to get some tour dates and I've thought that it's time to get to the next level in terms of sound and gear.

Actually, my gear is:
- Epiphone LP MKH-7 string (Drop G#, EMG Pickups 707, 81-7)
- Epiphone LP STD 6 tring (Drop B Stock, nothing modified)
- Bugera 6262 Infinium 120w
- FAME Speakers 2x12 (Celestion v30)
- Maxon OD-808 (Overdrive)
- Boss NS-2 (Noise Gate)
- Boss TU-3 (Tuner)

What whould you recommend to invest into next? Maybe a compressor? Maybe an EQ? Maybe sell all pedals and buy something like Helix?

Cheers!

(If anyone is interested in hearing what I'm playing, just let me know! :) )

Rex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think it's a fine gear for gigging, maybe a digital multieffects as backup if the amp doesn't work but I think You are well equipped and if you are happy with your sound, you needn't more. I'm playing with similar gear for years and I'm really happy in terms of sound and portability

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I think it's a fine gear for gigging, maybe a digital multieffects as backup if the amp doesn't work but I think You are well equipped and if you are happy with your sound, you needn't more. I'm playing with similar gear for years and I'm really happy in terms of sound and portability
Yeah, I agree with this.

I wouldn't go crazy and hit the reset button for your rig if it's going its job. You could just end up going down the rabbit hole. :2c:

Reactions: Rex

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Depending on the type of venues you're playing and what kind of PA support you'll have, I might grab a 412 cab or another 212. I've played countless places where the only thing getting miced are the vocals and the kick. In those situations, I like to have a 412 for the stage volume. Plus, I like how a 412 sounds more.

In terms of tinkering with your rig, if you're happy with the sound it seems like you're set. An EQ in the loop is a welcome addition for any setup.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Seeing as you play in 2 different tunings and only have one guitar for each i would invest in some backup guitars and bank the rest
That's sensible advice.

Beyond that, practice and learning how to dial in the gear you have now will probably help more than buying anything. A super-tight performance with relatively budget gear will sound far better than a sloppier performance with boutique gear, and the best gear dialed in like crap isn't going to sound all that good live, either.

vick1000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Get into digital and FRFR and start learning how it works in each situation, it's really invaluable knowledge. Then you can eventually ditch all the heavy and unreliable gear.

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I play in an instrumental metal band (post, djent, prog, death...) and we've recorded our second EP (just two songs haha). We're starting to get some tour dates and I've thought that it's time to get to the next level in terms of sound and gear.

Actually, my gear is:
- Epiphone LP MKH-7 string (Drop G#, EMG Pickups 707, 81-7)
- Epiphone LP STD 6 tring (Drop B Stock, nothing modified)
- Bugera 6262 Infinium 120w
- FAME Speakers 2x12 (Celestion v30)
- Maxon OD-808 (Overdrive)
- Boss NS-2 (Noise Gate)
- Boss TU-3 (Tuner)

What whould you recommend to invest into next? Maybe a compressor? Maybe an EQ? Maybe sell all pedals and buy something like Helix?

Cheers!

(If anyone is interested in hearing what I'm playing, just let me know! :) )
No way would i gig and tour a Bugera amp.
A tube amp on tour can be troublesome at the best of times - let alone one from a company as unreliable as them.

Seeing as you have some good pedals already Im assuming it would make sense to get in an amp head replacement - but I personally went AX8

Rex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't got any issue with my 6262 infinium. I got it in the second hand market and never let me down, the reability issues happened with the first no infinium models.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'll second the suggestion for backup guitars :yesway:

You might also pick up a Pod HD500 or something similar for cheap, that way you can have a decent rig to go direct to front of house with in case you have problems with your existing rig

Reactions: Rex

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A backup rig would be your best bet. Either something like Helix that you can connect direct to PA if your amp craps out or a compact amp that you can use in that situation. Yamaha THR100HD for example would be pretty great for that because it's both compact and really light weight and easy to carry. Plus it's not that expensive used.