How should I spend my moneys?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Chocopuppet, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Chocopuppet

Chocopuppet Woof Bark Woof

I have a conundrum, gentlemen. I have moneys.
    I am not used to having the moneys. Moneys is a very rare thing for me. However, I have resolved to spend my moneys on musical things.
    Incoming wall of text.
    I have been coveting a sevenstring guitar since I started guitar. I was thinking an RG7321. I'd like to pop some new pickups in there and djent and chug and strum away to my heart's content. :shred:
    However, I lack a performance amp. I currently play casually with a group of guys and if we ever would want to perform in front of anyone, I'll need a sort of amp suited to give me great tone and volume. Currently all I posses is a VOX VT15 modeling amp. It's surprisingly good array of tones gets me by for now. I don't own any peddles whatsoever.
    There is also a rather large acoustic-shaped hole in my guitar life. I've stumbled upon a rare used Ibanez Montage and I enjoy its modeling capabilities and overall feel. However, I probably wouldn't use it as much as I would my electrics. But, the temptation is there.
    My final thing on the list of things that I could spend my moneys on is some sort of recording device. As of right now, I'm stuck tabbing all of my riffs out on paper, which gets tedious. :wallbash: I know they sell these neat preamps bundled with pro-tools at guitar center, and I'd absolutely love to be able to program drums and actually record my music.
    So, I'm in a pickle. I currently own two six strings, a Schecter Hellraiser with EMGs and an Ibanez S series with a Liquifire in the neck and a PAF Pro in the bridge.
    Should I go for the sevenstring? Or should I spend my moneys on something else?
    On a related note, I'm note sure if this is the right forum for this. My top option right now is probably the sevenstring, so I put it here.

Attached pics are of my two guitars, the montage, RG7321, and a crate amp for $400 dollars.

My total amount of moneys is around $700. It can be stretched a little up or down, depending on what I use it for. So I ask you guys, on what should I spend my moneys? Or should I just save up?

Attached Files:

2. asher

asher So Did We

How much do you think you'd need in a newer amp? Just switching to tubes, or a lot more wattage? If the former I would highly suggest looking into Blackstar's HT5 series, which also have emulated speaker outs.

As far as the 7, you can find 7321s used for great prices, so I'd suggest looking here (I think, but I'm not positive OTOH, there are no post count restrictions on buying, only selling), eBay or Craiglist rather than Guitar Center. Have you considered selling one of your six strings to raise extra money?

3. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

For $700 you could probably get an RG7620 in good condition with some sweet pickups, pre-installed for your rocking convenience. This is the right place to come with $700. If I could be anywhere with $700, I'd be here. :lol:

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

I'd go with either a used Ibanez like the 2 posters above mentioned or a Schecter Loomis. I LOVE my Loomis and I actually prefer it to a Universe if that says anything (and I'm a JEM guy). To each his own... Anywho, check the FS on here there's been quite a few deals in your price range.

5. brynotherhino

brynotherhino Reformed Redneck

6. msherman26

msherman26 Member

Download Reaper online and use that to record.... Buy a Douglas Hadron 727/725.... Stick with your Ibby Montage that you like And use the rest of teh moneys to get a used amp to your likings!! All gas-related complications solved!

7. charlieshreds

charlieshreds SS.org Regular

Try to find a used Ltd h207 that was probably one of the best guitars ive ever owned.
    I got it at guitarcenter used for 199$ alas I sold it a week after I got it:nuts::ugh:

8. mustache79

mustache79 I like to play

Used Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube combo = $450 after tax from GC online + Douglas Hadron 727 = $250 after shipping. Total - $700. I just picked up a Vypyr 120 combo from GC online and it's a beast. The thing is loud as hell and sounds fantastic. I was sceptical of modeling amps, but this thing is just amazing- mcu better than any solidstate Crate half stack. As for the Hadron 727, I don't have experience with one, but people here will tell you it's a great guitar for the money. I may be picking one of those up soon as well. Good luck.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...2-120W-COMBO-AMP-129011-107312385-i2288725.gc

http://www.rondomusic.com/hadron727na.html

9. failshredder

failshredder hammer every cock

I'd go for an amp. Honestly, the sevenstring thing is overrated. It's cool, but seriously, the best thing you'll ever do for yourself is cease to give a shit about how many strings the guitars you own have, and a decent amp will make you sound miles and away better.

don't bother with "peddles," except maybe a noise gate.

10. Alpenglow

Alpenglow music and shat

I would go for the amp or for the 7 string. I have to admit though, I cringed when you said you were tabbing stuff out on paper. Please dude, get guitar pro. It's $50 and it makes tabbing about 10 times easier, has multiple tracks, and offers playback too. :yesway: Trust me when I say it's probably the most useful $50 you will spend in a very long time. Assuming you pay for it.

11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

edit: totally misread. 3 AM hugh.
    Get an amp, and DON'T get that crate ffs. With 700 you can get something very decent.

12. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Blackjack and Strippers!

13. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

For $700, you could get a Jet City JCA100HDM :yesway:. That was my other option before I found out about the EVH 5150III 50W.

14. CrownofWorms

CrownofWorms SS.org Regular

At the current state your in, go and get the amp. A high quality amp is pretty much a necessity if you wanna get somewhere with your ambitions(especially playing live). You could wait on the 7 by down tuning your 6 to B

15. benno

benno Active Member

This. Alternatively, TuxGuitar is pretty awesome and free, if you're looking to stretch the pennies!