How often do you change your strings?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by russmuller, Jan 27, 2015.

On average, how frequently do you put new strings on your guitar(s)?

1. Multiple times each week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Weekly

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. About every two weeks

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Around once a month

18 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. Every few months or longer

49 vote(s)
    61.3%
  6. Only when I need to replace broken strings

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. EvA

EvA bskaiwndhabworirnwsf

My strings always seem to last a fair while, I play every day and they don't tend to deteriorate. Once I left a set on for just under a year and when I changed them they didn't have flakes of skin or rust :scratch:
    I don't think my hands sweat enough to effect the strings. my partner has what I call 'acid sweat', he'll go through a set of strings in a week and when they come off they look like they've been sat on a squire for 3 years, unloved, in the corner of someones attic

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

When I was in high school, single, living at home, and playing 2-4 hours every day, I would change my strings on all of my guitars every 3-6 weeks depending on how many band practices or shows I had on top of regular playing. I wouldn't break them or rust them to death, but I play super hard and strings "die" kinda fast for me.

Now, I go to university and only have one guitar with me at a time and don't normally play more than an hour or two during the week, then when I'm home on certain weekends I'll only play for about two hours if I'm lucky and the girlfriend lets me have the time alone to do so :lol: needless to say, I don't have to change strings nearly as often. I can normally go 2-3 months without it bothering me too much. I just go through a rotation with my guitars and slowly kill the strings on all of them :lol: then I'll change the strings on every guitar in one sitting and start the cycle over.

3. TauSigmaNova

TauSigmaNova Guitarist Wannabe.

On my main guitar, 4-12 weeks. Strings rarely snap for me but I feel the need to change every once in a while. Actually about time right now.

4. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

Every 3 month or a bit less.

5. gogolXmogol

gogolXmogol SS.org Regular

If you're not recording or jamming with a band frequently, I would suggest changing strings every 2-3 month :) But it's all personal of course, some have very sweaty hands. Just take a good habit to wipe the strings and frets with clean cloth after you done playing your guitar and about to put it away. Helps avoid corrosion

6. Rashputin

Rashputin SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

I buy these in bulk from juststrings.com for all my guitars. They last a good month of playing every day.

And no, I'm not employed by either comapany to say that :metal:

7. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

^^^ For me they last more than I need them to last: when changing Elixirs, I do it to clean the fretboard, not because there's something wrong with the strings.

8. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Probably every couple of months. I own 6 guitars, but only really use 3 on the regular.

If I were to record or play a gig, I'd change them the day before.

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I wait until they break, play weird or sound weird. I hate changing strings as I have a tendency to break the high strings when doing it, which costs me even more money. That's actually why I stopped buying elixir strings. That high E ALWAYS seems to break on me and they cost 3-4 times more. No thanks. :lol:

I'd change them before recording or playing out though. I just haven't done a lot of that lately so I don't see the point. That and I own six guitars so it gets kind of pricey.

10. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

Every 4 weeks or so in my main 6, and 2-3 days before a recording session. The 7 gets a new set every 2 months or so. The 8 just got a change because I'm trying a different tuning, and they should last about 2 months as well. The bass has had the same set for about 2 years now and they sound like new (Circle Ks) :lol:

11. aprilia4life

aprilia4life SS.org Regular

I change my strings whenever one breaks, or when I feel like changing the tuning on a guitar (which is pretty regular :D)

I wipe down my strings after every play and wash my hands before touching the guitar, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I have purchased too many guitars with frets covered in gunk to not clean my hands before playing.

12. psychosphere95

psychosphere95 Member

i change mine like every 2-3 months unless i'm doing alot of recording. I just wipe them down good and put string lube on them and they last for awhile.

13. ZeroTolerance94

ZeroTolerance94 SS.org Regular

I wash my hands before playing, and wipe the strings down after. But usually for normal strings I can get about 5-8 days out of them before they're corroded beyond recognition... about 20-24 playing hours or so +/-, maybe... if I had to guess.

So I change my strings weekly just about, on my main axe.

I just started using the D'Addario NYXL's 9-42 with an ernie ball 56 for the low A last string change. The sound is unbelievable. Worth every penny. We'll see how long these last anyways. So far Im in about 10 hours on them and they're holding up, still sounding like they did on hour 2 and 3. ...Are they coated?

14. Jake

Jake GAS Master

With 7 or so guitars I change them pretty much when I need too. My PRS gets more frequent changes when I'm home but that's only every few months because school. I try to change the strings on my locking trem S prestige at least 2 times a year but they seem to last forever so idk.

My Eclipse is next up as I haven't changed the strings on it since....uhhh...May? :ugh::ugh::ugh:

15. SebastianB

SebastianB New Member

I usually change my strings once every 2 or 3 month, except I broke a string i just replace the hole set. As an advice just wash your hands before picking the guitar and wipe them out after playing so they last long.

16. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

Only a few times a year. I don't like the sound or feel of brand new strings.