How many of your guitars are stock?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by bouVIP, Oct 18, 2014.

1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Six out of nine of mine are stock.

2. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

None. I'm waaaaaaaaay too cheap to spend $3k+ on something that fits my preferences without modification.

It depends a bit on how you define stock though, too - is a custom build "stock"?

3. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

4. Ulvhedin

Ulvhedin Phrygianist

Four RC7, ESP Eclipse, and my Ibanez sr505 bass are all stock. But I'm probably putting emgs in the bass too at some point.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I counted anything I haven't changed after I got it as stock... so out of mine my 4 KxKs, PRS DGT, and Edwards Horizon III Ikebe are stock. Though I will be adding locking tuners to the Horizon III when I change the strings next time. The level of modification also varies a lot... for example the only mod to the Horizon will probably be the locking tuners as I like the Custom / 59 set that's in there. My SCT I put on ebony tuning buttons and will be adding ebony pickup rings when I swap out the PRS #6 pickups (as soon as I decide what I want to put in it :lol:). My Fender Mexi Strat has had a complete overhaul with new electronics, new pickups, new tuners, and a new trem.

6. SeditiousDissent

SeditiousDissent i drove bus

If you count ClipLock straps as modifications, then none of my guitars are technically "stock." As far as major mods, only my JTV and RBX haven't been gutted completely and reassembled. Hell, even my knockaround Ibby acoustic has aftermarket bridge pins.

7. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

A lot more people have stock guitars than I had thought

Also anything done after you purchased it is what I'd consider modding and I wouldn't really count straplocks as one.

8. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

For me, all of my guitars are currently stock. Oddly enough I experimented with tricking out some guitars and basically never had any luck. Brass blocks, new pups, cooler pots, different springs.....seemed to always just bork things up......ah......if only if I'd left them stock :lol:

Traded or sold all those. Don't miss them.

9. IVIaverick52

IVIaverick52 Well-Known Member

um... none? lol unless you count my Carvin DC727 which is still as it was when I had it built. Every other guitar has upgraded electronics.

10. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

The 5/11 that I currently own are the few of the nearly 50 guitars I've owned over the last 20 something years that stayed stock unless I didn't keep them long enough to mod. And two of those 5 are currently on the chopping block.
    Admittedly I'm far more prone to getting a guitar stock that I'm fully happy with since Floyds take care of a lot of issues for me. When I was using TOM guitars, I immediately swapped to Sperzel tuners, Tonepros bridges, often with graphtech saddles and nuts.
    My stock guitars have JBs in the bridge. If Seymour Duncan never made the Nazgul I'd probably have more stock.

11. SwanWings

SwanWings SS.org Regular

currently my ebmm luke III and my ltd Te 212 are stock. I plan on leaving the luke that way, but I'd love to mod the tele, it's just not a priority right now.

12. edsped

edsped SS.org Regular

Only 3 of mine are totally stock.

Parker - Pre-refined, not touching that.
    Carvin - Custom, I could match the specs pretty closely to what I wanted.
    Ibanez - Don't play it enough to care about upgrading pickups/electronics.

My Fernandes is also completely stock, I just moved the strap buttons around. Most other stuff was modded fairly extensively. I replaced EVERYTHING on the Dinky except for the neck plate, the jack plate, and the neck itself, which also would have been replaced if the mounting holes for the DK2M neck I'd bought had lined up.

13. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I've left a few of them stock. My RDs, Explorer, and JR Strat. I prefer locking tuners, so those usually get installed on anything that didn't already come with them. And I like to try a lot of pickup combos out.

14. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

A custom build, by definition, is not "stock".
    Having redone the wiring in my pre-refined Fly, I completely sympathize.

15. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

1 out of 7. Every single electric I own had pickup swaps done. Only my Ibanez RG 3EX1 needed hardware changed... The boring gray hardware did not suit the amazing as hell koa top on it.

The only guitar that I haven't modded is my late father's Yamaha acoustic because it has a lot of sentimental value to my family and they'd be pissed with me if I changed anything on it and it's the guitar that I started out on.

16. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Of the ten guitars & basses I currently have here in Korea, 100% of them are bone stock.

Of everything I've owned in my life prior to now, everything but one lone guitar remained stock. I tend to be able to get tones I'm happy with with just about anything and I don't keep a guitar if I don't like how it feels, so except in the case of one guitar with pickups that were so shitty that they just HAD to go, I leave my gear alone.

Not gonna lie, though, I kinda want to do a pup & electronics swap in a couple of my basses now...

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

None of mine are stock. They're all modded and beat to shit beyond recognition of their former stock appearances.

18. DocBach

DocBach SS.org Regular

My Blackjack ATX C-1 is stock. The 2014 model pretty much came with everything I wanted in a guitar, which was the reason I bought it. Only thing changed from factory is the strings, I use D'Addario EXL148 60 gauge strings.

19. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

All my current guitars are stock. The only one I modified was my Carvin 7 string because I was curious to try a different pup combo and was getting fed up with the bridge pup. There was improvement but I again wasn't that thrilled with the results.

The only mod I'm contemplating now is to change the bridge of my Carvin 6 string to a Gotoh-Wilkinson VS100. I'm fed up with the chrome hardware too so I'm thinking of getting it all black. I was considering changing the tuners to another kind of locking set but I'll have to drill more holes and that's something I'm not willing to do in this guitar.

In general though, since money is tight and I don't have a lot of experience with different pups I don't consider changing them unless I absolutely hate the pups that are in, don't provide some alternative/useful sounds or I'm not planning to keep the guitar and how much hassle/intervention the guitar will require. A few examples, I'm more than satisfied with the stock pups in my Carvin but had been itching for a more modern pup sound. To change them I'd have to have the routes widened. That was not a desired outcome for me. Then I bought more guitars with more modern sounding pups and problem solved. So I can still play with my Carvin more bluesy and rock hard rock stuff (even though they're still good for harder stuff) and have another guitar for more extreme and tight sounds. The other guitar I'm currently contemplating on changing pups is my Ibanez with the Dimarzio/Ibz set. I'm on the fence because one day I like them and the other I'm kind of meh. I do like them more when I increase the volume as they open up more, but on low volumes they sound a bit boxy. My main concern though is that because it has the kind of triangular rounded tabs, I'll either have to find pickups like that, which limits me to Dimarzios, or modify the tabs on any other pup which will slash their resale value if I don't like them (the pickup routes are not going to be modified under any circumstances). Finally I bought a cheap Jackson V and I am not really fond of the Duncan Designs but they are acceptable and workable. If I decide to keep the guitar I might consider changing the pups but I don't really want to spend more for pups than I did for the guitar. There are some things I could change to make it sound and play better but only if I'm sure I'm keeping it. Otherwise I can buy a new guitar that has all that that won't loose it's value as much (cheap guitars with expensive mods don't sell for that much higher prices).

20. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

So far, only 2.

Ibanez ARZ800. Never felt the need to mod this one... though that may change depending on whether I wan the HetSet on it or not....

Ibanez AM93. Sounded great right off the bat, nails the jazz tone that I needed it for, but can already do so much more. This is staying stock.

And I kept my Charvel SoCal stock before I sold it as well.

The other 18 or so in the stable are all modded, from subtle to drastic forms.