How Many Of You...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bogner, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Bogner

Bogner Rock N' Roll Machine

Write down and or record your ideas you come up with? I find if I don't do so I can forget them pretty quick. I am good about remembering the fingerings of the riffs but the tempos can vastly differ (which can be cool too as it opens up other doors sometimes). I got back into stockpiling riffs and playing times again and it has helped me to focus and be more productive and putting music together.

Who else does this? What are some things you do? Or...do you just sit and chug / noodle riffs for 8 seconds at a time?

Kobalt and Zhysick like this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

I always record my riffs anymore, I've lost too many to the ether. Sometimes I film myself so I can remember the fingerings. I also label the recordings with the guitar/amp I used so I can replicate the sound later if I want.
    I used to tab stuff out but it just takes too long .
    I've been seriously stockpiling riffs over the last few years.

c7spheres likes this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- It's a good practice but eventually you get way more stuff than you can handle and sort through. Try sorting through even a few hours of random riffs. It takes time, but is worth it.
    - Some people may say it's only a good idea if you can remember it. Yeah, bullshit. Once you get a tone of stuff it's ineveitable to remember it all exactly as it was inspired/created.
    - Video is a good idea.

Boofchuck and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  4. Bogner

Stay away from c7spheres with that practice. His lavender salt baths with his essential oils are enticing. ;)

In all seriousness...that is a good idea. Just today I was stopping and yelling into my phone....low e string open open open then 7th fret a string, 9th fret a string, 10th fret a string open e again open open...

Video alleviates all that. Good idea!

KnightBrolaire and c7spheres like this.
  5. Bogner

I hear ya...the stuff that falls apart or I just don't feel will go anywhere I just delete. That saves me some time and trouble there. When I think I come up with parts that could go together for a song or something together I try to combine them to begin building something.

c7spheres likes this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

At a point it's just impossible. You have an idea for something in 20 different spots with no name across 15 disks or files and can't remember which is the most recent without listening to them all again before deleting etc.
    - You have names for things like; "C Song" and "ambient thingy w/chorus v3.2" etc.

- Organization is the best thing but I find in practice that when inspiration strikes all that goes out the window. You just get to doing it or else you'll loose it or the vibe at least if you stop to properly lable things.
    - I'd rather have the idea exsists and have to sift through stuff to find it then never have it down at all and not be able to remember it.

Zhysick, aesthyrian and budda like this.
  7. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Yeah man, I had a hole in my creative process for probably 5 or 6 years after I quit my band where I didn't write or record anything, or even start a song.

Life saver for me was just the tools available on my smartphone and Google drive. I got into the habit of jotting down song ideas, even if it's a title or a theme, maybe a lyric, sometimes humming a melody or a riff if I'm near a guitar, or a keyboard line, etc. I committed to doing that and went from zero ideas to well over 100 of them. I need to get my ass in gear finishing material but I think last I checked, I had around three full albums of music written. Tracking even small vague ideas is an absolute game changer.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    budda, Bogner and c7spheres like this.
  8. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Not all ideas, but I write down every idea I thought was interesting. I have hundreds of Guitar Pro files, some over a decade old.

Some are utter shit, and some have turned into amazing pieces of music. Then I listen to the shit ones again and realise there's a good idea in there. I try not to delete anything as I never know when a bad idea could be good in a different light.

Zhysick and c7spheres like this.
  9. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I do try and write stuff down, but I feel like ideas matter less and less to me. Most music I write tends to come from just sitting down in conscious effort and putting in the hours. I like working from some sort of starting point, but it doesn't have to have been a "good idea" from the beginning, rather it becomes good when I work with it enough.

I think these days I might prefer ideas that are more abstract, like a feeling, over an actual set of notes.

c7spheres likes this.
  10. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ DEVIL

Voice Memos is a blessing.
    Unlike Kirk, I back mine up!

Zhysick and Bogner like this.
  11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Always have your phone at the ready. There’s times where I pick up a guitar and ideas just start pouring out so I record them as quick as I can and then move onto the next idea if I’m still in the zone. A few weeks or months later when I’ve time I’ll sit down and go through those videos writing them down into guitar pro or onto an A4 page. Sometimes I’ll write directly into guitar pro but you can start falling behind and losing the vibe you had.

Then I’ll have folders full of guitar pro files that I can look through and mix together into songs or find that missing riff or lead in a song I’m already writing.

12. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i have to.

my band uses telegram for our band chat and its really easy to send any size files that way and easily keep track of them. so when its time to write new music at rehearsal we can just go to the video section of our chat and there are tons of ideas there ready to go. works out pretty well.

Zhysick likes this.
  13. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I generally just write down chord progressions and maybe a couple fill riffs. None of my bands have ever played very tightly structured music though.

14. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Tab for every riff. Name by date of creation.

When the tab sounds like shit (RSE fuck yeah) but the riff sounds great I record it as "proof" of it being a good riff.

I forget stuff I played 2 minutes earlier if I don't write it down.

15. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I do if Im at the computer. I have tabbed stuff on my phone, only to completely forget about it.

Bogner likes this.
  16. Bogner

Great points so far! Thanks for sharing them. For me, the key is if I am inspired I just keep playing. That is when the voice memo comes in handy. Having to stop to get organized would kill the momentum. I work in different ways at different times depending on mood etc and what I have going on.

The other day, I just wanted to plug in to a couple new amps I just bought and make sure they worked etc and just play around for a few minutes. The tones brought forth some ideas I didn't expect and within a couple minutes I was full of riffs and parts I could work into each other or something I was already working on. I got 3 songs out of that little time and maybe an intro to a 4th with a small tweak.

I had no ideas when I sat down nor any agenda. That is where the phones saved me.

17. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

I rarely record metal riffs on my phone because all of my metal songs are usually pieced together over drum grooves in my DAW. Without the drums as a backbone for a song, a lot of my riffs are sort of aimless.

I've been doing a lot of non-metal/acoustic stuff lately and all of those ideas go on my phone if I think they're worth revisiting.

cwhitey2 and Bogner like this.
  18. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

If it sounds like a riff I record a video of me playing it or record audio of it. I play exclusively through plugins so it's easy af anyway

Bogner likes this.
  19. MFB

MFB Banned

Yup, my go to is to immediately tab it out on TabIt to nail it down as I first played it and not second guess it later. Then I revisit it a week later, hate it, and try to rearrange it into something I like, and the cycle repeats until nothing gets finished.

steinmetzify, Bogner and c7spheres like this.
  20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I used to tab everything into GP4. That way I could try what kind of drums I want over it etc. But then I started having too much of it and I also tended to name the files too generically, so I never ended up using any of them for anything. The ones I did use were catchy enough that I remembered them without tabs.

In my band, we usually record stuff as a sort of full band playthrough when we come up with new riffs, and that's really cool because sometimes I get really awesome jams on tape that would otherwise just be one time things.

Bogner and c7spheres like this.