How many guitars to cover these tunings?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by landmvrks, Mar 12, 2021.

1. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

Ok, I split it up so that I'll probably run it something like the below. I tried to make it so each guitar would be set up to never have to be tuned more than half a step either way for the most part, with one full step being the most needed on a couple occasions:

Guitar 1:

E B E A D F# B (low E achieved with pitch shift)
    F# A# F A# D# G C
    F# B F# B E G# C#
    F# B F# B D# G# C#

Guitar 2:

F D G C E A D
    F# C# F# B D# G# C#
    F# C# F# B E G# C#
    G D G C F A D

Guitar 3:

G# C# G# C# F# A# D#

Guitar 4:

G# D# G# C# F# A# D#
    A E A D G B E
    A E A D F# B E

Guitar 5:

B F# B E G# C#

Guitar 6:

D A D G B E
    E A D G B E

What scale lengths would you go for each of these guitars? I'm thinking definitely a 27" for guitar 1, maybe a multiscale 25.5-27 for guitar 2, 26.5 for guitar 3, and 25.5 for guitar 4 and 5?

2. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

A part of me thinks, why...why...why want to play that many tunings? Seems like a terrible waste of wood to buy that many guitars to be able to jam to a couple of tracks you like.

On the other hand, I'd love to see you go all out. Go crazy.

I think the scale lengths you put down are pretty spot on, if you choose the right gauges. Guitar 4 in G# might be pushing it for 25.5. You'll need a thick gauge, which will give you a dead string on that scale length.

3. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

Ha I feel you. Unfortunately all the songs I want to learn by all of these bands are in so many different tunings. I almost always buy used, so I can sell anything I buy for the same price I bought it for on most occasions. I have a Paypal account with $8,000 in it from recent hobby items I've sold to fund this, money isn't a problem.

Appreciate the input. I guess I could aways use the Digitech Drop that I plan to use from F# down to E on guitar 1, to also go from A > G# on guitar 4. I shouldn't really notice it if it's only a half step? Is 25.5 on the low side alright for the multiscale on guitar 2 do you think? That was the one I was most unsure about.

I'm thinking the following guitars:

Guitar 1: LTD Black Metal Baritone
    Guitar 2: Caesar or Mayones custom
    Guitar 3: Ibanez Prestige RGD
    Guitar 4: Ibanez Prestige RG
    Guitar 5: Skervesen Raptor 6 (already own)
    Guitar 6: Telecaster Cabronita (already own)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021