How many guitarists actually use locking trems in any meaningful way?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by cemges, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

:lol:

2. Spectre 1

Spectre 1 SS.org Regular

Gary Moore used a Floyd/EMG combo, so unnecessary and meaningless!

3. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Oh, great: Another thread showcasing a guitarist's inclination to publicly elevate himself through disparaging an entire demographic of players, rather than through a personal achievement. Don't the "no soul" guys on YouTube already have that market cornered?

As has been pointed out, OP likely has at least one knob, some higher frets, and even strings that he doesn't use enough to justify including on his instrument. Even worse, he may own more guitars than he can play at a given time.

4. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Yeah, EVH's trem use isn't worthy of a locking unit and unnessesary.

Yeah, ok.

The effort you put into trying to include him in the list of worthy users is much appreciated though.

5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Unapologetic whammy bar abuser here. :wavey:

Any bar technique, be vibrato, chordal wobble, dips, reverse dips, melodic slurs with notes, chords, harmonics and feedback, divebombs, screaming squeals, flutters, as far as I'm concerned, it's all meaningful when used by the intention of the player in their music.

The only time locking trems are used meaninglessly is when they're blocked. :lol:

I use locking trems predominantly but even my non locking trems are setup so they stay in tune no matter the abuse I give.

6. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

7. EcoliUVA

EcoliUVA Not Gifted

Just wanted to offer that trems play and feel different from hardtails, regardless of bar use. They have a bit more give for both picking and bending, which I prefer. I dabble with using the bar, and like having the option, but mostly just prefer the feel.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Just because of this, I want to start a gimmick band. I'll have a 9 String guitar, but I'll only play two different frets and one open string for every song, and I'll do it all with an eBow, but I'll just use the eBow like a giant pick. The bass player will play everything in unison with me ("why is a bass player necessary when he just plays in unison?!"), and I'll get a drummer with a ten piece set and zilbels and gongs and whirlybirds and have him only ever use bass drum snare drum and hihats. Everyone will talk about us because they hate us, but we'll be more popular than your band, despite lack of any musical meaningfulness as you put it. ;)

9. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

I am of the polar opposite mind as the OP. I can't believe how many guitarists play guitars without a trem on them. I'll check out a bunch of pictures of Mayones guitars, for example, and it's kind of shocking to me that only about 10% of them have trems on them.

I certainly don't use the trem 100% of the time or even in 100% of the songs I write. But that's not really the point. I have the ABILITY to play trem. Just like a wah pedal gives you the ability to wah or a [insert effect here] gives you the ability to [insert effect here].

I can not even imagine buying an electric guitar without a locking trem on it. It is something I simply would not ever consider doing. I've played friends' hard tails before and I constantly find myself grabbing at a trem bar that isn't there. It really bothers me if I don't have one. :2c:

10. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

The reverse divebomb going into the 1st chorus of DragonForce's Body Breakdown still gives me chills in my spine every time I hear it and that album came out a decade ago.

It is pretty rare that I hear Trem use and think, "Man...that was so totally unnecessary. This song would have been so much better without it."

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

FWIW... who needs a trem... at 2:40. :agreed:

12. sPliNtEr_777

sPliNtEr_777 SS.org Regular

I think using a trem will always be divisive, but in answer to the OP's question directly I think obviously Vai, as has been be noted many times, is pretty pioneering, as is EvH, but I terms of what I think would be the BEST use of a locking trem I'd say Kirk Hammett has to be up there. The solo in The Thing That Should Not Be is, for my :2c:, one of the thematically best uses of a tremolo in music. It is the perfect solo for the song and could not be otherwise recreated without the hardware. Just my opinion though.

13. Varland

Varland Baker of Rage

I suspect the OP didn't realize the passion that people have for the tools they use.

Nonetheless I think it's a mistake to be reductive about anything as subjective as music and musical taste. Many of you have already cited things that a double locking trem can do that a hardtail can't, and I appreciate that.

I actually happen to be on the other side of the fence. My first guitar was an RG220B and I came to hate the FR. I didn't want to deal with changing strings, but found myself snapping the E regularly while working bends. I found the tremolo itself something I rarely used in spite of the fact that Vai and Satch were my inspiration to get the instrument.

So I stick with hardtail, string-through now (none of the TOM stuff). It's my preference. No one can tell me it's wrong, or that I'm limiting myself, because it suits how I want to play the instrument.

Also, I resent that the OP tried to denigrate Vai for making his guitar sound like a horse. I've not heard of anyone else having done it before and whether or not it's a gimmick is subjective. This just seems to be a shallow attack on floating trems and their user-base.

14. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

While I generally love to follow the "better to have and not use, than to need and not have" rule, locking trems also rob the ability to swap tunings/string gauges, so the trade off isn't worth it in most cases. I have a couple guitars in my most frequently used tunings that have them, but they're not my main guitars because I do tune back and forth relatively frequently.

I think they have use, but people just abuse them. Doing ambient tracks with a trem is always super spiffy, but fluttering, lifting, and dive bombing just sounds cheesy 99% of the time. I mostly use them to warble open notes/chords with my palm.

15. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Yeah, valid criticisms. I always play 10-gauge strings in standard tuning, and a big part of that is not wanting to deal with setting up my guitar every time I change gauge / tuning. There is always the "buy another guitar, keep it in a different tuning" option, but that's obviously not for everyone.

16. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

I love the way Dimebag used to use his Floyd, and I've been trying to emulate it without success for months... one day.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Paul Gilbert is a cyborg sent from the future to make me burn all my guitars, and as such shouldn't count in this discussion.

18. cemges

cemges Well-Known Member

Just to make my stance clear I don't try to argue that floating trems are useless, I just say that most people just under use it, or use it for simple things. I wanted to see better, different uses of it, things you don't usually see. I have yet to see someone offer unusual like the first video I shared. Though I appreciate the posted videos.

19. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I don't use them, but having played in a few cover bands, i definitely come across times where i'm thinking "I need a floating trem for this part".

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Cool. Then why don't YOU look for "better, different uses of it" and try to lead by example, rather than saying you don't think other peoples' uses are "meaningful"? You'll make a whole bunch more friends that way. :)