How long is it safe to leave my Ibanez 7 unstrung?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by OceanTemple, Apr 28, 2021.

1. OceanTemple

OceanTemple SS.org Regular

Hey, i am going to be doing some electrical work on my Ibanez K7 soon and wanted to ask some advice.

Basically i need to remove the strings, take out the pickups to check a few things, order some parts then put it all back together again. There could be a week in between ordering parts and being able to do the work.

I was wondering if it mattered how long i left the guitar unstrung? I know some guitar necks can really suffer if not under tension so wanted some advice! Should i take out the pups, then restring up to tension for the intervening week or is it likly to be ok to just leave it unstrung for a week or so?

Cheers!

OT

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Weeks, months, etc. A guitar that old should be nice and settled. Don't worry about it too much.

setsuna7, HoneyNut and aesthyrian like this.
  3. OceanTemple

Thanks for the speedy response! Good to know :)

HoneyNut likes this.
  4. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    If you're able to do your own setup and are afraid of leaving the neck unstrung for much time, don't forget to loosen the truss rod... and to re-tighten it when restringing the guitar.

5. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

I have an RG7321 that I mod sometimes and I once left it unstrung and on top of that with the neck detached for almost a year. Didn't even touch the trussrod and what happened? Nothing, the neck is perfectly fine :agreed:
    I don't know about single-piece necks but I wouldn't worry about a multi-piece Ibanez neck:yesway:

OceanTemple and odibrom like this.
  6. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Can I ask a followup?

Is there any situation where leaving a guitar with no strings would be a bad idea?

I remember sometime I read that you should de-tune guitars that you are going to leave alone for a long time. But that always seemed weird to me, because presumably they are "designed" to stay stable at the correct tension.

c7spheres likes this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

A neck that isn't going to twist doesn't need to be kept any particular way, just as a neck that will twist won't be prevented no matter the steps taken.

That's really what it comes down to. Some wood just doesn't want to be a guitar neck and there's no fool-proof way to determine that, before or after an attempt has made to turn it into one.

That's not to say there aren't super specific instances where one method may help or hurt a particular neck, but I wouldn't use that as solid rules.

You have to remember, necks are pretty well protected by their finish. Fretboards, well, that's a different matter. There are certainly cases where fretboards can misbehave and cause problems, but that can mostly be prevented with proper upkeep.

aesthyrian and Flappydoodle like this.
  8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I once had a guitar without strings and frets for several months because I didn't have time to work on it. It was fine.

9. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I left the strings off a guitar for over a decade, strung it back up with some 11-49’s in drop C and it was like it never missed a beat.

10. OceanTemple

I can report back i left my K7 unstrung for a week and it seemed 100% fine.

11. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

I've left 7620's and my s540 completely disassembled for years at a time, all one piece necks. No issues, and the neck on the s540 is pretty damn thin.. I don't even think it's quartersawn. A good neck is a good neck, and in my case if the neck is 20+ years old and hasn't warped yet then it's probably never going to unless it's in a flood or something. Honestly, it's a great test, because if the neck will warp without string tension, it's certainly going to give you issues down the line.. it's just a bad piece of wood better suited for firewood or an application where tension is not a concern.

Now scarf joint shrinkage, yeah that's a concern and I'm sure at least one of my guitars has developed it over the past few decades of it's life but a simple fret level fixes that.