How good are RG7321s really?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by fps, May 10, 2013.

1. fps

fps Kit

I always hear they're great modding platforms, they have an Ibanez neck which is obviously great, but for serious stage performance and possibly studio for our other guitarist, who could be picking up a 7 on the cheap, how good can they be? Pickup swap taken as read.

2. Tones

Tones Red paperclip trader

They're okay. Honestly, they're good backups and modding platforms, sure. But I don't see myself using them anything besides for modding fun and having fun on the side. That's just me though. They feel more flimsy to me compared to all the 7's I owned in the past.

3. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal

I absolutely love mine. They tend to be pretty hit-and-miss though. I luckily got one that is absolutely perfect except for a few dead frets around the 19th fret area. Other than that though, it plays INCREDIBLY well. Better than some guitars 3 times it's price even. I'd recommend trying one and making sure you like it before buying it.

4. WhiteWalls

WhiteWalls SS.org Regular

Hit and miss I think. I had mine for about 8 years and it still plays incredibly well, with no setups at all. A friend however has a newer one that I didn't find that great to play. They are great guitars for the price though

5. EricSVT18

EricSVT18 SS.org Regular

They're good for a first 7. I bought mine used in great condition for $250. Can't beat that. Im about to sell it though and buy a RGD7421.

6. Suho

Suho Guitar Guardian Contributor

Were the older ones made in Korea? Anyone know when they switched to Indonesia? Are the necks wider at the heel on these than other seven strings Ibanez offers?

7. WhiteWalls

Mine was made in 2004 and is Indonesian.

8. Evil Weasel

Evil Weasel SS.org Regular

Must have been some point in 2004 they switched. Ibanez wiki says 2001-2004 was Korea and 2005-2012 Indonesia but if someone here has a 2004 from Indonesia must have been that year.

I'm picking up an RG7321FMBBS tomorrow night so I can tell OP my opinions then!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Expect us

I loved the one I had, I think it was a 2004 or 2005 model, made in Indonesia. Great guitars to mod.
    I seen a newer one at GC and thought the quality had wen't down on them quite a bit compared to the older models. Could have just been that one, but the neck wood looked kind of "off" and just plain out ugly to me and the fretting on it was horrible... So it might just depend on the one you get.

10. Basti

Basti not much space to wr

I guess it's down to preference, but I fucking love mine

11. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

[​IMG]

2011 and a 2009 both different guitars,2009 heavier,2011 lighter,slightly smaller body/smaller headstock,neck profiles different,both have slightly different tones:scratch:

12. Suho

Suho Guitar Guardian Contributor

Looks like one has the Gibraltar bridge vs. the older style on the other. So far, I like the Gibraltar, although many seem to dislike it.

13. Bucketheadtwo

Bucketheadtwo ΔSCΞΠD BΞYΘΠD

I've got the older standard bridge model and love it. It's my first 7 and I got used to it quick. Mine has a thin, wide neck (kind of flat with rounded edges, but it's been worn nicely by the previous owner).

I would definitely recommend one of these as a first 7 if you like the standard fixed bridge. It's a modder's 7 just like the RG8. If you don't like the black you can always refinish it (this helps especially if you buy a used one and there's some dings or cracks).
    The D Activator set in mine sounds great. It's got a nice jazzy/blues sound in the neck 'bucker and the bridge does do this sort of thing --> :djent: 10/10 would bang- I mean buy again.

EDIT: Oh, and mine's Korean from '04 if that means anything. The tuners are good as well.

14. WhiteWalls

Ehm FUCK ME I had a brain fart I meant Korean. :lol:
    But anyway, I think they have changed production around the end of 2004-beginning of 2005

15. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

yea I`d kinda like to have a korea era model just to see the differences.

16. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I've owned 4 or 5. All of them have been pretty consistent. I use my current 7321 live and it's always solid. Holds tune well, and sounds decent. I want to do some upgrades to it, but we're trying to weed out 7 string songs for our new 8 string stuff, so I'm not sure if it's worth the money right now.

17. Horizongeetar93

Horizongeetar93 the sparkle guy Contributor

It's a good guitar. For something along the lines of a lower end ibanez, It does everything a 7 player would want it to. Of course, it has some lower end parts but like the above posters said, modding is essential.

18. nothingleft09

nothingleft09 What... the... [email protected]#k!

I dig them... but I played one in GC the other day (Only 7 they had) and I hated it. It just felt weird to me but I'm used to my S7. Depending on what you guys play the RGD7421 may be a better option? They feel much better to me than the 7321's do. Now I owned an older one at one time and I loved it. The newer ones as others have stated just don't hold up feel wise like the Korean made models.

EDIT: Also Andy Russ used to play an RG7321 when playing live with Flaw in 2007. First time I saw him with the band he was using a 7321 and Lance was using a freaking Universe. lol

19. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

I had 3 of them: a Chinese, a Korean and an Indo-made. The Korean was really fine: nice, resonant body, surprisingly good fretwork for a budget guitar, the best bridge of the 3, and the nicest finish. The Chinese wasn't crap either, but frets needed some leveling, not the best thing to start with when you buy a brand new guitar. (That was my first and last brand new axe.) Pickups sounded dead too. It was lighter than the other 2. I put a D-Sonic to the bridge, and it became awesome in a minute. The Indo was somewhere between the two. I didn't notice any difference in the neck profiles.

To be honest, even the Korean wasn't even close to a 7620, and that's because of the neck. A 7321 would sound cool with your pickups of choice, it would be just fine for studio work though.

20. Ikiharmaa

Ikiharmaa It's all white.

my 2005 indonesian-made is mostly very solid, stays well in tune and intonation hasn't caused any problems (standard B). She purrs a lot, which is obviously a nice feature on such a cheap instrument. Neck feels smooth to me even though the shoulders are as pronounced as everyone says they are, heel is cool. I much prefer my rg7321 neck to the rg321 neck's I've had chance to play.

The bridge intonation screws have had enough by now though, so I'll be replacing those next, but everything else has held up well enough. Frets are quite worn by all the playing she gets too. No sharp fret ends on mine, but they're not particularly smooth either. Oh, and the 5-way switch wobbles a little, and I've had to tighten the knobs + jack once during the 2 years she's been with me. They've been nice and tight since, so the previous owner just probably newer took the knobs off (the knobs were in place very tightly to say the least).

Yes for stage performance. Might not pick her for studio though, depends on a lot of variables.