How far do you think djent will evolve?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Jahka, Mar 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

Stop arguing the previous analogy, bro... :rofl:

crg123 - :yesway: Interesting perspective, man.

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

Believe me... I know what you meant. But the wording of your statment allowed me to meddle with the semantics and turn a negative into a positive... In a discussion with musicians you can't say you didn't see that coming.

We're the type of ppl that will take onomatopoeia and make it a genre... :rofl:

3. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

Name one genre that has that attribute.

4. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

The topic kind of derailed from "how far do you think dent will evolve" to "do you guys like djent?". I will jump in and try to contribute to both subpoints. I may sound offensive to some, but this is not my intention. So sorry if you feel hurt in your feelings.

No, I don't like djent. I find it to be a very immature form of music, it is the musical equivalent of PC/engineer "nerding". Just because you know how to write 10000 lines of code in XYZ language, it doesn't mean your program will be of any use. Just because you know how to solder all the electrical components to make a one-of-its-kind device, doesn't mean your device will be of any use. Djent is like this, pretentious, self-referential, cliched style, which encourages form over substance. It is extremely stereotyped, coded genre. And it is a musical mess, in which nothing fits together... I mean, melodies are completely off the rhythm session which is off the rhythm guitar which is off the vocals. I am not saying this "stuff" (don't want to call it music) is not technical or difficult to play, on the contrary. However, music has evolved through the centuries, it changed but it managed to maintain some distinctive characters and cornerstones that will never collapse.
    Djent, as it is now, fails as it claims to be innovative by forgetting what centuries of music has taught us. Which can be nice, revolutions are always welcome, but they have to be actual revolution and not total anarchy. So yeah, I dislike djent as a genre and as a live style.

Nevertheless, I still see lots of potential in terms of possible evolution of djent. Potential which comes from the fact that djent is like a primordial broth, a mess that can give birth to anything. I think there will be soon a "schism". Some bands will get the Metallica road, going from rebel-and-alternative to popstars; their song will simplify their structure, the growling/screams will be left behind and the sound will progressively less aggressive and chuggy. On the other hand, there will be bands who will want to remain "underground" but want to try something new. And I think what we may have is a radical change in the guitar sound, from the tight, sterile tone we have now we will have something more vintage, warm, death metal sound. Composition will become more airy, more pleasant and natural, and the "airness" given by this "new" guitar sound will allow to get rid of useless synths.
    Finally, we will have the bedroom-rats that will keep djenting like crazy.

5. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Death metal, Progressive metal, Black metal... Progressive rock... and many, many others. Djent isn't a genre, it's a riffing style.

6. Double A

Double A Subhuman

This. I am in a death/thrash band but I use djent techniques in my riffing. One thing I really took from Misha was the seemingly random hammer-on riffing thing he does. It sounds cool and I use that technique a lot to make complicated sounding riffs that are actually kinda easy to play. I wouldn't call my music djent but any djent fan could hear exactly what I took away from the genre.

As for where it is going? I loved the first periphery albums without vocals and I still love AAL but almost everything else I have heard from the "djent" has really just sounded derivative of those two bands to me but with pop music vocals. But this is what happens when you suddenly get originality that becomes successful. You get the fist generation of bands that will be around for a long time, then you get the second generation as people that are pretty good but lack that spark the originators have but are still worth listening to. Then you get the people that realize there is money to be made from this and they suck every cliche and polyrhythm dry for every dollar they can with shitty knockoffs.

Such is music.

7. GraemeH

GraemeH SS.org Regular

Nu djent->Ironically retro djent->Post-ironic djent.

But really, the same will happen as happens with all sub-genres that experience a big surge of popularity and bands rushing to buy into copying it quckly (see hair metal, grunge and nu-metal); the metal world will go on and just incorporate the good ideas into contexts that are less generic (djeneric?). For example, Deftones' recent Koi No Yokan album still has some nu-metal DNA in it. It's not nu-metal and it's not generic, it's brilliant.
    In 5-10 years time some prog metal band will be incorporating some of the cornerstones of djent into some songs and make it sound great and the world will go on.
    The bands that get identified as being part of that genre but that have individuality and aren't generic will continue and thrive. Like Deftones transcended when nu-metal went away, guys like Animals as Leaders and Meshuggah will when nobody's talking about "djent" anymore.

Just another branch in the big evolving tree of music. It's genetic. The strongest part of the material will get absorbed into the next thing and the weaker parts of the material will die out. This has been happening for hundreds of years.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think Meshuggah was around long before Djent.

As for all of the genre-bashing: It's okay not to like a genre, but honestly, there is almost always at least one good band in any genre, and at least one bad band in a genre, and probably at least one band that went from good to bad, and maybe at least one band that went from bad to good.

9. Double A

Double A Subhuman

Meshuggah has been around since 1987... I don't lump them in with Djent.

10. GraemeH

GraemeH SS.org Regular

I know Meshuggah have been around since before the word "djent" was being used. I'm using them as an example of a band that have some/many of the elements if you boil it down, without being a generic tag-along band in the genre, and that's why they'll be around after its popularity has waned.
    Same as for Deftones when I gave the nu-metal parallel example.

11. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Earth, Wind and Fire are the ....ing end of level boss of disco funk.

Ain't no one got groove like this these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

What a monster tune, I love it

12. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Well, actually... Fred and Martin coined the term... so... :D

13. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith SS.org Regular

This thread is among the most absurd I've read in a while :lol:

14. asher

asher So Did We

15. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

Not any more than from "djent" (whatever that even is, the term djent seems to span such a large variety of different styles).

Why dismiss genres anyway? Just realize that some people might hear resemblances in two or more songs that you don't. Disagreeing something is a genre really brings nothing to the table.

Let me get my point through better: You CAN say you don't hear notable, previously unheard resemblance between two or more songs (which is what makes a genre anyway), BUT you can't say others don't hear it. It's how many people hear and note that said resemblance what gives value and weight to the concept of that genre. And yeah, pretty many people think "djent" is a proper genre. Saying that the genre "isn't real" only makes you look either close-minded or just unpurposefully being against the popular opinion, sorry.

16. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith SS.org Regular

"djent is dead! bullshit from the start! I'm an elitsist whiner!"

"I super mad and butthurt this shit even exists! Never going anywhere!"

"NO man! Djent be mad diverse check out all this different examples! my feelings be hurt from your anger!"

"Djent is way intellectual! I transcend to those cosmic rhythms!"

"We're all ....ing dweebs all around!"

:lol::lol::lol:

17. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

Most of the djent bands have sh*tty production qualities and go crazy over the time signatures, odd rhythmic cycles and breakdowns, this is why it became stale fast. But it's understandable, everyone was excited about the new approach to writing music, and pairing that with the fact that everyone can now make some form of music in their bedrooms...

18. octatoan

octatoan Acoustic tech-death!

Re people trying to call djent "not real music" or whatever, please listen to some Ferneyhough. (Aside: he's metal as ****.)

19. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Took me this long to make out what that was a photo. Props. :yesway:

:deadhrse: :wub:

20. Zban

Zban SS.org Regular

I've seen a few locals in my area blending Djent with Nu Metal..."NuDjent", if you will. Seems to be gaining some popularity, but honestly, I haven't seen anyone get it "right" yet. Most just blend the stalest elements of the two genres. :/