How does the Schecter Usa Km7 stack up to others?

TheRobotCow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Long story short I'm looking at placing an order next year on a Usa Schecter Km7 Pro(aka the bolt on) in a custom finish with either Bkp or Lundgrens or tracking down one of those sweet purple Axe Palace Merrow/Sunset 24 hybrids. Spec wise they tick every box. The one thing is that you hardly ever hear about these usa schecter guitars. There’s basically nothing on YouTube, and just bits of it spread across fb groups.

So how do they compare to the other more known guitars like Carillion(if the budget was there i’d just go with Carillion), Mayones, Aristides, Esp, Jackson, Suhr, etc?

cip 123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a schecter USA Sunset II 7. It is not a guitar I would spec out personally but it has become one of the guitars I will never let go of, it plays beautifully and the build quality is as good as any high end brand.

When I bought it I made sure to try every other high end guitar in store because I didn’t want to end up with something that wasn’t great compared to another high end guitar. I tried several mayones including a master built, and an EBMM JP7. While they were all built very well the schecter played better and felt nicer in my hands.

At those price ranges it becomes less about quality and more about personal preference, mayones, EBMM, Suhr, Aristides will all build you an excellent guitar.

Ben Pinkus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Whilst I haven't played or seen many USA KM's, the standard of their USA built guitars/customs is very good. On par with Suhr/EBMM I'd say.

OldMate

Riff Pig
Reaction score
I've only heard good things about US Schecters, and I can't say I have any gripes with their Korean line either. I'm sure the USA stuff is amazing if it's anything close to the MIJ Schecter I have. The few people I've seen around the traps with US Customs have phenominal looking instruments, and they always sing their praises.

I'm planning on going to Denver when I fly across the pond from Australia in a few days time, hopefully Drum City Guitarland have a few US KMs to try when I show up! Would love to get a feel myself on the quality - been salivating over the KM7 MKIII since Keith first showed off the protos

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Long story short I'm looking at placing an order next year on a Usa Schecter Km7 Pro(aka the bolt on) in a custom finish with either Bkp or Lundgrens or tracking down one of those sweet purple Axe Palace Merrow/Sunset 24 hybrids. Spec wise they tick every box. The one thing is that you hardly ever hear about these usa schecter guitars. There’s basically nothing on YouTube, and just bits of it spread across fb groups.

So how do they compare to the other more known guitars like Carillion(if the budget was there i’d just go with Carillion), Mayones, Aristides, Esp, Jackson, Suhr, etc?

The quality is outstanding. I have played that exact guitar and the neck-thru version when they first came out. IMHO, Schecter USA stuff is the best bang for the buck all day long. Used is even better because they don't quite hold the value of ESP or Jackson, depending on model, and you can get them for a decent price.

I have owned A LOT of custom shop guitars from many named builders and brands. I personally think Schecter USA production guitars exceed the brands you have listed, and by miles in some cases. Lots of those brands are purchased for 50% value on the used market, at least that's how I have scooped them up to try.

I hope to make a video soon detailing my experiences with Schecter USA guitars as well as their Masterworks. There really is nothing on the internet that I can find that answers these questions.

Overall, my hierarchy would be Schecter Masterworks, ESP custom shop Japan, Shecter USA. Then you have the ESP USA, Suhr, Mayones, Jackson custom, etc. ALL OF THESE BRANDS ARE KILLER GUITARS. Highly subjective opinion to be sure, especially neck profiles and finishes, but comparing the $$$ you spend for what you actually get, a used KM pro is going to exceed all your notions of what it is. They are awesome guitars.

TheRobotCow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The quality is outstanding. I have played that exact guitar and the neck-thru version when they first came out. IMHO, Schecter USA stuff is the best bang for the buck all day long. Used is even better because they don't quite hold the value of ESP or Jackson, depending on model, and you can get them for a decent price.

I have owned A LOT of custom shop guitars from many named builders and brands. I personally think Schecter USA production guitars exceed the brands you have listed, and by miles in some cases. Lots of those brands are purchased for 50% value on the used market, at least that's how I have scooped them up to try.

I hope to make a video soon detailing my experiences with Schecter USA guitars as well as their Masterworks. There really is nothing on the internet that I can find that answers these questions.

Overall, my hierarchy would be Schecter Masterworks, ESP custom shop Japan, Shecter USA. Then you have the ESP USA, Suhr, Mayones, Jackson custom, etc. ALL OF THESE BRANDS ARE KILLER GUITARS. Highly subjective opinion to be sure, especially neck profiles and finishes, but comparing the $$$ you spend for what you actually get, a used KM pro is going to exceed all your notions of what it is. They are awesome guitars.
Huge thanks for your insight!

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
USA Schecters are fantastic. Probably the most underrated custom shop out there right now. I'd put them right up with the best of the best.

MED

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Pretty much my exact experience as well. I currently own a USA KM-7 MK III Pro and really love it. Fantastic quality, beautiful fret work, excellent finishing.

I own/have owned some of those higher end 7s in tandem with the USA KM-7 and the quality is right there (Jackson USA Juggernaut 7, Suhr Modern 7, Tom Anderson Pro-Am 7, ESP M-Seven (Japan CS). Really it comes down to your preferences and if the guitar has the mojo or not (especially at this price point).

I would caution you a bit ordering a custom color USA KM-7 before trying one in person, since the resale is not great. On the flip side you can get a great deal used and take it for a spin. Drum City GuitarLand does order some one-off finishes for the KM-7 so you could go that route as well.

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is why I say they are great in the used vs. value department. They don't quite hold the value as some other brands (yet) which is great if you are a buyer.
USA Schecter, you can't go wrong with the quality. Whether or not it fits you and your style is another matter, but bang for the buck they cannot be beat, especially used. The fretwork Shigeki does, especially on stainless, it is as good if not better than anything else you can find.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I've played most things at this point including everything on your list, and I haven't found anything better than a USA Schecter.