How does an RG7621 compare to aN RG1527?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by skisgaar, Jul 1, 2012.

1. skisgaar

skisgaar Master-debatur

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting another 7 string soon and my eye has been on an RG1527 for a while now. I bought an RG7621 a while back and now I want something new. I know the guitars are similar aesthetically, but I was wonder based on playability, how do they compare? are the necks too different, are the tuners better? just generally, how do they compare. Thanks in advance!

2. Norstorm

Norstorm SS.org Regular

Weeeell.. You know what..

This is a classy example..
    You know that someone turns off todays Universe, just to spend the same money (and even more) on the original greed dot universe..?
    If you are a collector I kinda get it, but if you are a player.. Come on man.

Guitar models from every company get upgraded through the years, yeah? And some of them get wrecked from production line..
    There's a good reason for that.. Several in fact.. but mostly they don't sell that much.
    Like Sterling Ball said so well: The only reason those guitars are looked upon as holy grails, is the fact that it was a flause and bad guitar.. so they stopped the production, and naturally there's not many around today.

So take the Universe as an example.. The new universe you order today from Ibanez is a WAY better guitar than the old ones, and people tend to forget about that it seems.
    I know I'm pissing directly in a wasp nest when it comes to all those Ibanez blood fans, but..

That said the RG1527 can be looked upon as the upgraded version of the 7621.
    In my opinion a way better guitar!

3. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Maybe a typo, but just stating the obvious: the 7621 is fixed bridge and the 1527 trem...

Regarding quality, playability etc...they're similar with minor differences that in my opinion do not make me favor one specifically. I reckon they both have gotoh tuners by the way.

4. Norstorm

Norstorm SS.org Regular

Yaya, and I know several players that stick to the old models like the original RG550 and all that..
    They tell me they like the old necks better.
    Who am I to argue, but that fact is that the new guitars are made to be BETTER.. Simple as that. But b.a.m. if your fingers and your mind tells you that neck is better...well.. go for it.
    But keep in mind: How long do you THINK it will take you to get comfy on the newer prestige neck..? It's like jumping from iPhone to HTC.. It'll take a few days, and there we are..

5. trickae

trickae SS.org Regular

well I'm a fan of both old and new. RG1527 is a solid guitar and i like it better than the 7621. Try to get one in royal blue.

However in terms of Norstorms post about old necks - man the old necks are way better. I sold my 2000 Universe with the holographic eye and dissapearing pyramids for a damn jackson kelley! Biggest mistake of my life. I bought a 2006 Universe that just doesn't compare to that and sold it for a Jcustom RG8527z. As pretty as the Jcustom looks it doesn't hold a candle to that Universe.

If only if i could get that back :(

6. Sam MJ

Sam MJ Tries to be helpful

Personally I think u'd be happy with either, there both solid guitars, it all just comes down to if you think having a trem is worth the hastle.

also the 7621 is cheaper so more money towards a pickup upgrade, although the pickups in the 7621 aren't bad just a bit on the bassy side, very beefy sounding so not great for djent but very useable for most other genres with a bit of an EQ :).