How do you justify your purchases to yourself

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Pat, Mar 30, 2021.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

It's true, yet, what makes you happier: a new guitar, or saving someone's life? Maybe happier is not the right term, but what is a more fulfilling way to spend your money?

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

let’s be honest. In this day and age if you were really super good at guitar the guitars would be free.

budda likes this.
  3. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Ftfy

KnightBrolaire, Millul and budda like this.
  4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Im decent at guitar and they were heavily discounted :lol:

Mathemagician and Millul like this.
  5. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I told myself this year I'd learn some solos and if I'm gonna buy anything that's not a straight trade I'm gonna have to have learned a fair number of solos. I'm now happy to say I know a few pretty well, even if they aren't insane 220 BPM madness and I'm making a lot of progress. Currently wrapping up some sales to recover pretty much the whole cost of buying my ESP as a bonus. I felt bad for being a shit guitarist and having a lot of mid-tier stuff so I've been practicing hard as much as I can, usually an hour or hour and a half once I'm done with class work and saxophone playing. I'm now a decent guitarist with 2 guitars I plan on keeping forever, one out of a lot of sentimental value and clean tones, and one good one for heavy technical playing and pure distortion stuff.

Before this year, I pretty much just said hey I have the money and I can figure out a way to bullshit around with it and sound good. Now anything I get has a distinct purpose and role since I'm stepping up my musical effort outside of pure university work. I've got one in standard and the other in a drop tuning. I'd like to have something tuned standard and low, maybe B or C, but currently drop C and E standard serve me perfectly well, alongside a 5 string bass.

The Q likes this.
  6. Amer Alameddine

Amer Alameddine SS.org Regular

I think of it this way. I work hard at my day-job, and the point of earning an income is to spend it on things you enjoy (within reason). If that guitar I want bad enough is different than the one(s) I already have and will make me want to play it, let's get it! Having said that, I have 2 electrics and an acoustic that I'm quite happy with, and don't need anything more for now.

7. budda

Guitars are a want, need doesnt really factor in.

mbardu likes this.
  8. Amer Alameddine

Amer Alameddine SS.org Regular

Sure man, I guess I used the term interchangeably, I don't want anything else now. Having said that though, I think "need" should factor in. If you have several similar les pauls for instance, do you really need another one? If you could spare the money easily, you can go for it, but if you're like most people, you could benefit form considering what a guitar can add to your current collection.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    budda likes this.
  9. budda

I think if you are collecting les pauls, then you would be even more inclined to get another similar to what you already have.

10. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Need/Desire, combined with reason and questioning myself when I want to ask if I need or want a new piece of gear.

I had over 30 guitars 4 years ago and now I'm down to 10 where each guitar targets a specific function and maybe 3 of them crossover (Super Strat/Trem, but different tunings). You can justify anything to yourself, it's incredibly easy to do so, but it's hard to say no to yourself but it's an important quality to build up.

11. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Dirt Magurt

Certainly not the worst habit I’ve had that sucks up money. Could be spent on party liquor and whores, but it’s going to a good cause. I take good care of my gear too. More often than not I sell my gear for more than I paid. So it’s not like I wouldn’t be able to recoup the funds if needed.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  12. DaZoner

DaZoner SS.org Regular

I work hard, pay my bills... damn right in gonna buy some gear with what's left.

You've only got one life, get your pull.

13. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

Lot of people here have a ton of nice gear, and thus I'm interested what's your take on buying gear on credit cards or with payment plans - do you guys tend to do it, or do you purchase only gear you can afford?

Regarding the topic, I'm constantly tempted to get myself something new but lot of times I like the idea of getting something - not that I would most definitely need it. Usually if I need some piece of gear, I do my research and get the most suitable (and in my case affordable) piece.

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

i like payment plans. especially for stuff that needs to get built or is going to take some time.

i'm not allowed to have a credit card.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

As long as there's no interest I'm down. It's pretty much free money.

Buying stuff on credit (without paying it off to avoid interest) is painful. Just the idea of paying a chunk more just irks me a bit.

16. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Nope. Cash for all of it, like Max said I’m not paying interest on this stuff; it’s a hobby not a mortgage.

I usually buy used, get some good deals off of friends that are flippers.

17. budda

Cash 99% of the time, for guitars. I financed two guitars I've bought. I also make a plan to pay down my card asap.

Im also not a fan of big monthly expenses aside from mortgage/rent. Means less in there should a used something pop up.

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

mostly cash and buying used. Credit cards for bigger stuff if I don't feel like taking the hit to my bank account all at once.

19. The Q

The Q The Engineer

Here's my take as to how I justify the few purchases I do:

I hate redundancy. HATE it. Before realising how much I do hate it (about 5-6 years ago), I reached a point where I had 8 different guitars. They weren't really that different from one another either and I started finding it hard to justify their existence. I ended up selling most of them and now I have one 6-string with coil split, one 7-string with a Floyd and one long scale 8-string, plus a bass and an acoustic.

If I am to get another guitar, either one of those needs to go, or it has to be different enough for me to justify it. I am not really into flipping guitars because it requires too much hassle and there's uncertainty involved too; I'd rather not bother.
    I would consider a new guitar if I reach a point in my skills where I *need* something better and to this day, my almost 16 year old Cort KX custom can accommodate far better players than me.

20. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

I don't think i have ever bought gear on interest-bearing credit. I take my losses straight up.