How do you feel about greenbacks?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by 7 Strings of Hate, May 26, 2008.

1. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I have a 4x12 loaded with swamp thangs, its full, thick, bass heavy, and sounds good. But the highs arnt the greatist. Everytime i mess with my xtl i notice i keep comming back to the greenbacks for the sound i like when i actually turn on the cabinet models. What do you guys think of these speakers? I'd be running my 50 watt rectoverb through it

2. 7 Strings of Hate

3. Adamh1331

Adamh1331 RED. Contributor

What are you looking for as far as sound?

For highs id probably suggest the vintage 30's

4. 7 Strings of Hate

v30s are honkers, i dont want them honking at me, it seemed with the green backs that everything was there, decent bass, smooth mids and highs, it seemed to blend the eq nicely

5. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    I am not impressed with greenbacks, really don't get them. If anything blackacks (the ones from the mid 70's) are way cooler for that sweet sound.

6. ibznorange

ibznorange Chief Officer/RHLC © Contributor

I like them for a really cranked clean sound, mild breakup, when playing out. otherwise, nope. They dont sound good till you push them near the point of breakup, or beyond that. for heavy gain apps they are a no go IMO. some people like em but i think they just flub up your signal at any sort of loud volume

7. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    :agreed: high gain apps and them just don't mix very well. If you want a vintage sound that works with high gain amps get a set of blackbacks, as they are smooth, sweet and have a really nice musical breakup. These sound good with rectifiers, VHT's, loads :D I think they are the g12h-30's or something like that. Basically 30w rating.

8. Zer0

Zer0 That Guy

I'd just try swapping out two of them with the Man O War speakers, this balances them out alot since the MOWs are a very treble/high mid oriented speaker. It a good combination for the darker sounding Thangs imo.

9. noodles

noodles Contributor

I can't really add much more to the last two posts. They're awesome speakers for bluesy rock applications, but are just lousy for high gain. The low end on them completely disintegrates, leaving you with this farting mess.

Truth be told, I'm really not much of a fan of low wattage speakers for high gain. Usually, I want far more power handling than I need. However, if you want to approach that sound, the Marshall/Celestion Gold speakers are a good choice. They sound like Greenbacks, but with the low end of V30s, and higher power handling. They came in the Marshall 30th Anniversary cabs. Note that these are voiced differently from the standard Celestion Golds.

10. Groff

Groff Medicine Chief/RHLC© Contributor

I ran my 5150 II into a cab with Blackbacks. It was very upper mid heavy. I personally liked it. The low end was nonexistent, but it was djent heaven!

But TBH, you should check out G12 65's 85's and 100's, those are all great speakers. The 65's are designed from the green backs, but have more highs, tight lows, more headroom etc...

11. unconventional

unconventional SS.org Regular

What do you guys think of Celestion T12 100's?

That's what I have in my 2x12, but I don't know much about speakers.

I just heard they were good for low tunings and high gain and are 100W