How do you afford guitars from custom shops and high end instruments?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by evade, Oct 14, 2021.

1. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

I mean, if we really want to light this all on fire, let's get nuanced with it and start to fight over debt to credit ratios, the value of low yield investments over equity in real estate, and car depreciation!! Dem's fightin words!

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  2. Darkscience

Darkscience SS.org Regular

I was not considering what I said to be advice but more of a fact. But apparently having debt can be better then not somehow, so I will stop.

This is not a debt free crusade, but yea it is my opinion that someone buying guitar gear that it is better to buy it cash.

3. Darkscience

Darkscience SS.org Regular

LMAO I always like to you see pop in dude. You are like my ENGL brother. BTW the amp is sounding so good, I got my guitar and amp really dialed in for the room I play in.

TheInvisibleHand likes this.
  4. Jeffrey Bain

Jeffrey Bain SS.org Regular

Love you man no hard feelings <3

5. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

Married. No kids. Manageable debt - mortgage and one car between the two of us.

First of all, we max out 401k, HSA, and 529 accounts. (For the 529, we only max the tax-deductible part.) We also contribute to taxable funds. Once the emergency fund was stocked and after bills are paid, everything else is gravy.

I buy all my equipment used, with the exception of my two Mojotone cabs. Prices are a bit crazy right now for guitars, but I've still found some good amp deals. I'm eager to see how guitars prices shift in the future. I bought my EBMM guitars for as low as $900 and as high as $1500. Those prices are getting hard to find.

6. NeglectedField

NeglectedField SS.org Regular

Most I've spent on a guitar outright so far in my life is £800, and that was ex-demo. I did add £300 BKPs to it later but they were saved for separately. I think that came about by a mixture of saving birthday money, work bonus, some general savings and may be some disposable income floating around that month. Was still the upper end of my budget. In fact I think I stretched a little further for it.

I'm totally rationalising here, but I do wonder if I'd be much happier about my guitar-playing life if money were no object. When I've been to guitar shows and tried everything up to custom shop tier stuff, eventually I'll realise a guitar is a guitar and I only 'need' as much variety of, and as good quality of guitar, as make sufficient tools for inspiration and expression as a musician. The more guitars I have, the more will sit around unplayed, unloved. I'm just trying to enjoy this kinda sweet spot where I've accumulated a medium sized, varied arsenal of stringed instruments, plus some good amplification, effects and software, which allow me plenty of room to express myself. If I chance upon (or really bone up in life to acquire) more money, that's just a bonus.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  7. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Gambling. :cool:

But yeah, I wonder how all these youtube clowns buy new four-figure guitars every week *cough Stay Metal Ray/Ola/(that one douchebag casually spending million on a guitar) *cough*. I mean the ad-revenue can't be that good.. Can it?

8. Jeffrey Bain

Jeffrey Bain SS.org Regular

You'd be surprised at what some of those cats pull in. Also, they likely get a lot of it on steep discount. Not sure how Ray does it though, he's got a pretty low average video views.

Neon_Knight_ and Adieu like this.
  9. STRHelvete

STRHelvete

The big issue for me is, a custom guitar makes no sense. I'd never gig with it because why in the fuck would I subject a 5 thousand dollar guitar to damage and possible theft? It'd stay at home but then what's the point? The whole custom aspect is for show, and since I have guitars for recording there's no logical reason to have one.

Now if I was in a big band and had an endorsement and all that shit then sure, I'd have guitars to burn through but as it stands I'm not spending that kinda money on a guitar when an 800 dollar or less guitar does everything I need and still looks nice

10. NeglectedField

NeglectedField SS.org Regular

I very much agree. Guitars for me should be functional and (within reason) be alright picking up a few battle scars.

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Took my custom on tour for a year or two as a backup. Was more worried about theft than damage.

Neon_Knight_ and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Yeah, to be honest, I know they pull big money and probably sell some of the guitars they show on their channels but it still seems wrong, somehow. I mean, I guess I'm just being jealous.

3bolt79 and Jeffrey Bain like this.
  13. STRHelvete

STRHelvete

I bought that ML I just got for the sole purpose of live gigs. My Modifiers are too rare to take out, but the ML is current production so I can always just order another. I plan on getting another as a backup so my Modifiers can stay home.
    That's why I couldn't have a custom.

3bolt79 and budda like this.
  14. budda

Custom as main and ML as backup. Done.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. STRHelvete

STRHelvete

I'm happy with a used ML. A custom looks nice but I'm not the kind of person to drop that kind of cash on something that unimportant.

Maybe someday I'll do it just to say I did but it not practical for me at all

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. budda

Customs generally arent practical :lol:

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Uhm

...banks don't pay 10%.

Neon_Knight_ and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

This. I always tell myself I can't afford a Music Man or PRS but I have a private stock of modifications on my weekend car :lol:. Plenty of middle class families have spare cars, motorcycles, ATVs, etc. For some reason a $5k guitar is frivolous but a two dirtbikes and a trailer isn't.

Neon_Knight_, budda, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  19. angryification

angryification Bite back with Kent Brockman!

I'm an bridge engineer and I don't have kids. That doesn't mean I go nuts with gear - I got that urge out of the way earlier this year (see sig) and have little desire to buy more. Hopefully I can say a year from now...

I met someone at GC today and they told me that they're having a custom instrument built for $10k. The average GC salary is apparently $45k. They've probably been saving up a really long time and/or they must have much lower living expenses than me (e.g. I have no roommates so I pay all the rent, they might share an apartment with someone)

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

It’s a good question. But I think it’s about
    1) Priorities. On this site we tend to spend our discretionary income on guitars, as opposed to cars, fancy art work, horses, traveling, etc.
    2) not owning a guitar forever. A lot of people have oodles of NGDs, but 3 years later they have a completely different collection. The joy for them is the novelty of it.
    3) building up a tolerance for expensive guilds. When I first started getting guitars I would break a sweat at $800. But I just dropped $3,000 on an Aristides, and I only have semi-crippling guilt, lol.
    4) getting older. A number of us have been buying customs for a decade. We ain’t no spring chickens anymore, so we’ve got a handle on finances just based on sheer age and time in the workforce.
    5) being in an echo chamber. Because we all spend so much time talking about guitars, when we see a Jem 77FP pop up for $2800 we feel like we HAVE to buy it, because it’s a good deal, comparatively speaking. And, when everyone starts getting PME FB customs, well, I need one too!
    6) Psychological addiction. There isn’t much that will dump dopamine into your synapses like opening the case of a guitar that UPS just dropped off. (And I choose my words carefully there, because if it was shipped by FedEx, it hasn’t been dropped off, and is still in “pending” status, and the customer service agent doesn’t know shit about fuck. Dammit.) As adults, we don’t get that Christmas morning feeling anymore, but damn, the NGD is just as good a feeling as anything I ever felt on 12/25.