How do I make my snare sound like this?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Allealex, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

The snare is not probably that compressed itself, it's just being pushed to the 0dB limiter really hard. On other words, it's sitting too high in the mix, but since the mix is too loud, it can't pop out, but instead it gets popped "down".

Also: EQ before compression FTW! Takes more effort and takes away some options (makes it harder to actually change the EQ afterwards), but makes it really transparent. (Both the compression and the EQ)

2. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

Basically sounds like stock avatar with all that compression, in fact I think that sounds exactly like stock avatar.

3. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

There hasn't been a commercially released track in decades that hasn't used limiting. At first it was to keep bad speakers from blowing up but now it's mostly for loudness.

The problem here is probably, like Kurkk said, that the snare is just way too damn loud compared to the rest of the mix causing this pumping sound. With a limiter this strong, you could probably turn down the snare several dB and not perceive any difference in volume, but still lose the pumping.

4. Aewrik

Aewrik SS.org Regular

I didn't see the OP mentioning the pumping effect as something undesired, so I assumed that was part of the sound he was looking for. (edit: in fact, his precise wording was "For me sounds good, but really, is it just compressed to hell?")

A limiter on the master bus is used to level, not attenuate, which is what side-chaining does (and what is happening in this mix).

So let me rephrase that: Limiting the master bus in this way is typically not good practice.

5. Kurkkuviipale

I doubt there's a single side-chained compressor in this mix. In fact, I'd bet my left nut for it. He's just pressing the snare too hard (from my perspective at least) and that's all there is to it.

6. Aewrik

Aewrik SS.org Regular

I'm not doubting that (in fact, I'm certain you're right) - I'm just saying that if the OP wants to use that effect, he should look into side-chaining.

7. manana

manana SS.org Regular

There is no point in mixing like this. He compressed the snare a shit load (easy to do in s2.0) and then side-chained it so every time the snare goes off, the entire mix dips to let the snare through.

8. Kurkkuviipale

9. morethan6

morethan6 SS.org Regular

This is all so much easier when you get the levels of the drums right before the bus as well. I always find if the kick is 100 % then the snare should be more like 85%. Then when you compress the bus (I like the API2500-style stuff for this) with a nice slow attack and fast release the snare sounds chunky but still pops. I always send to a second bus with a ton of top end and compression as well to bring up in parallel. It's a classic mistake to ride it to high and destroy everything else. Give it some EQ space in the guitars and cymbals instead! :)

10. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Agreed, to me it sounds like crap however we all have different tastes, what's crap to one is a master piece to the other one so if he likes that sound....................it's a master piece to him ;)

To me it sounds like a SD2 sound heavily compressed, get SD2 then compress it ;)