How do I know if my music sucks?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by levitator, Dec 30, 2016.

1. levitator

levitator listen to sabbath

This is NOT some wannabe sly attempt at promoting my music!! seriously! I'm thinking about investing quite a bit of money into this project (pro mixing/mastering, marketing, advertising, etc) but I'm also not so sure I should because of little things like: I get a few facebook page views a day but no new likes, I've submitted a couple songs to online metal radio stations and heard no replies, etc...Does my music suck? Is it boring? too repetitive? not creative? Do people not like instrumental music? should I add vocals? I think my music is awesome but i'm obviously biased.

again!! this post is for feedback!! I'm not saying "check out my band" If it sucks, tell me so I don't waste money trying to get somewhere that I never will...It even costs money to get your music reviewed online. Help me out fellas!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PdPgIVOGgA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUaZEpRfEDY
    only song with vocals:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhqbfSBxlEE

2. DredFul

DredFul Maple fretboard enthusiast

In my opinion if you are uncertain about the 'quality' of your music you shouldn't be considering on investing in professional advertising etc. Post your stuff on forums and submit it to music blogs and youtube promotion channels. They probably are cluttered with submissions but it doesn't hurt to try. Be active on social media and gather a small number of people who are actively following you and then create some buzz around a release. Maybe see if you can find someone local(or a fellow forum member) who is willing to mix/master your stuff for cheap. If you don't want to get into producing yourself that is.

There are people out there who will like your music. It may take time to find them but it won't happen unless you try. Great mix and advertising won't guarantee anything but then again sometimes you need to make some sacrifices to get somewhere :lol:

That being said I'd wait until I have a decent following, maybe around 1000likes/subs/whatever before putting any serious money into my music.

3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

No one will talk about you, and if they do it won't be good.

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Your music doesn't suck :) Production and music quality are perfectly good imo, but I do think it doesn't sound like it should be instrumental. I hear harsh vocals over this.
    I agree with Dreadfuls first sentence though. And even if you were happy with it, I don't feel like you necessarily have anything to gain by investing money (apart from a leisure=money aspect of course, we spend money on gear etc.) Definitely have a following first
    Save

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

"Suck" is subjective. Do you enjoy it? Good.

6. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

You'll have to ask yourself what is it that you feel is missing from your music, and what you could do better if there is something to be done.

From a mixing standpoint I think your rhythm guitars should not be centered in the stereo field as they are now (in fact it seems all your instruments are panned very conservatively, but you did pan the guitars in the second song), and there is no overall punch in the mix.

7. fps

fps Kit

If you are not 1000% committed to the music you've written, and wouldn't feel comfortable submitting it to ANYONE in the world, then don't put serious money into it.

8. MrPepperoniNipples

MrPepperoniNipples SS.org Regular

I don't think your music sucks at all

As far as vocals v. instrumental,
    Vocals is easier to write I think, and more marketable, but that does not necessarily mean it is a good idea. If you prefer writing instrumental tunes, then that's what you gotta do.

Gotta remember that music is not a math problem, there is no formula and you can't just plug in a missing piece to "figure it out," it is up to you to find out what you like and what you don't like.

As far as getting "likes" and an audience, that has more to do with knowing how to market and get your music out there, less with the music being great or not. My band released what I honestly thought was a mediocre album about a month ago, but people are getting interested in it and are taking us seriously because we portray ourselves as a "real" band, and we look pretty professional if you're sitting behind a computer screen. We've even managed to make a little money off of our music.

9. levitator

Thanks for all the input guys. Everything helped! Even Budda's comment. I agree. And it's something I never thought of. FINALLY someone that basically says..."no one would care"..If I heard these songs...I probably wouldn't run out to my friends and say "DUDE!! you HAVE to listen to this band I just found!!!" I'd probably be like...meh...okay...and then move on with my life. Doom/Stoner metal is a very niche market though I suppose...I've been a member of this forum for a long time but don't get on much. Any of you guys know of people here that do good mixing/mastering? Or someone that can collaborate? The thing I hate most about my music is that it's all me...that sucks!! I miss writing with other people...but I'm a dad now...no time for fun n games.

10. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Listen to the critics, reviews, and opinions of friends, but even more those of strangers.

11. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Brutal truth ... the song with vocals is superb, the rest totally boring, sorry.

12. Yodel

Yodel Banned

Boring and pretty generic, I'd hit the"Why am I seeing this? " button on FB to hide your content for good

13. Gram negative

Gram negative Christopher Horton

This is complicated.

Firstly, you can never worry about whether your music "sucks" or not. It's art. It is your creation. You cannot sit around and worry if it appeals to everyone, because it will not. Some people think death metal that sounds like it was produced in a trash can sounds good. There are people buying Nickleback every day. So there is no way to predict what people will think. Personally I like your "Chelsea Wolfe moments" where the guitar is a texture rather than the focus. But realize that EVERY SINGLE NUANCE is subjective. I think Deafheaven sounds awful, "Sunbather" won all kinds of awards...

On the other side of that...

You also have to somewhat cater to an audience if you wish to do this on a professional level. They key to doing that is diversity, and straddling the line of what you love to play versus what people WANT you to play. This is the tricky part. There is nothing wrong with finding your audience and "wowing" them. So you can throw a million darts and never hit the board, or throw a few darts, and nail the bullseye. Or try both. Told you it was complicated.

AS far as what you do personally: A few things I would point out.

Focus on the entirety of the mix as much as you do your guitar tone. Remember, this is a production.

If you want to do this on a pro level, realize that the instrumental market is VERY small. Casual listeners could give a care less about a sweeping soundscape of ambient tones and distortion. People gravitate to vocals, and as you can see on this forum, it is agreed that "the one with vocals" is your best song.

and finally...

Let any negative comments roll off your back. Unless it is a technical issue i.e "The frequency in the song literally gives me a headache". Otherwise, do what you do and stand by it. You're not special, and nothing is really "original". The trick is to be confident without ego, and sell yourself as interesting and different.

Geez...that was a lot. COFFEE WOO!

14. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Join a band. Good time management will most definitely free up enough time to join a group.

If you have an hour or two of free time a week, you have time for a "for-fun" band (as opposed to a band looking to gig steadily or tour).

Have at 'er.

15. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

On the other hand it's pretty simple ... any music first of all is a matter of taste.

So I would recommend the following:

1. Composition: What's the main goal? Express yourself as an artist or be more or less commercially successful? This needs to be clarified first and leeds to the question: Is a change needed? Depending on above goal, I expect different opinions here.

2. Audio Engineering: Lets see this as a fine tuning to the composition ;)

I think point 1 should have highest priority in this thread and as far as I can see, a minimum of success is seeked, right? Otherwise this thread wouldn't exist ;)

16. DredFul

DredFul Maple fretboard enthusiast

This a hundred times. Very well said :agreed:

17. stratjacket

stratjacket Lost in a loop

Completely agree with this. It's always easy to hate and hard to build something. It's easier for someone to dismiss than put themselves out there as liking something. Learn to weed through any negative comments to separate the real feedback from the static. But also thank everyone for their feedback, no matter what it is.

I doubt any of us are going to get rich (or make much at all) making our own release, so just do what you like and what is satisfying to you. When is our music ever "complete and ready" anyway...

18. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Reviewing the whole thread, I guess this is the best recommendation ... at least when I review my own musical history ;)

19. levitator

This is basically what I'm trying to do but it IS tricky. People are so cynical of music these days. Make one wrong move and suddenly THAT'S NOT METAL or whatever :nono: It's especially hard with what I'm trying to do with blending Doom and Progressive...they're two genres that I feel could mesh perfectly or alienate everybody.

I'm definitely working on adding vocals to the songs that I can. Don't want screaming though which is also difficult because i have no idea how someone would put clean vocals over some of these parts.

and to answer another question, Yes, I'm going for moderate success. I'm basically trying to focus on a small target market/audience and cater to that specific genre

Everybody here has given me great insight and yes I definitely let negativity roll of my back. I think it's funny, actually. I was in a grindcore band called The Heartland for a bunch of years through the late 90s early 00s and man!! nobody hates any genre of music more than grincore! lmfao!! we actually had people try to fight us after shows because they hated us so much lol
    On the other hand there was 1000's more that LOVED us and still do even though we broke up like 12 years ago

20. fps

fps Kit

That's the least of your problems. The real issue is that no-one pays for music any more and the market is utterly oversaturated so there's very little chance you'll ever carve out a true audience.

These are facts, just want you to go in with your eyes open.