How do I get this paint out?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Chocopuppet, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Chocopuppet

Chocopuppet Woof Bark Woof

I'm refinishing my old S320, but it came in the weathered black finish and as a result the paint is stuck in all these little cracks. I quite like the "weathered" look and I don't want to sand it down too much because I fear losing too much mass of the guitar. I've tried a toothpick and paint thinner but that's tedious and widens the crack it's used on. Any ideas on how to get this stuff out?

[​IMG]

2. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Yeah - that's going to be tough. I don't know of an easy way sorry. My last refinish had a much tighter grain. But ... if you are going to do a natural stain the black in the grain will add some depth - might end up being a nice touch! :)

3. nicomortem

nicomortem SS.org Regular

Try using a brush, maybe a stiff toothbrush. As stiff as possible, without being a wire brush...try it without paint thinner first, try it dry. Maybe if you could find a soft wire brush that didn't scratch up your wood, but I don't know if they make any soft wire brushes like that. I also don't know what the effects of paint thinner would have on the wood, it could soak in and swell up possibly. Not sure if its a good idea to use thinner on the brush, you can research that further on your own. Maybe you can put it on the brush, and use it sparingly, and dry it off as soon as you're finished cleaning the paint out of that section. But if you can figure out some way to get the brush to work, that would be the way to go. It can get into all the grooves without having to sand the wood down. Good luck!

4. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

PAINT... PAINT... THINNER... THINNEEEEEEEEEEER!

[​IMG]

5. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

THIS... IS... THE PAINT THINNNNER!

[​IMG]

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

6. UncurableZero

UncurableZero SS.org Regular