How did you meet your bandmates?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by scrub, Dec 10, 2015.

1. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

Im in a new city and wanting to meet some people to play music with. Any tips? How did you guys meet the people you jam with?

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

Interwebz...

3. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

any sites in particular, or just social media? facebook, twitter, etc.....

4. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

Find the live music bars. Go there. Bring recordings.

With internet stuff keep in mind there's a ton of crazies so expect to have to wade through and don't let it get you down.

5. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

people i became friends with at shows i played with my former band. my first band i met through craigslist. after we started playing shows, i got connected with all the locals in the scene and found other musicians more like minded to make new music with

6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

there's probably a local musicians classifieds besides craigslists (ie. nashvillemusician.net or something), I met dudes on craigslist. Had to do some serious emailing to figure out if it was gonna be worth going to jam.

7. Kwert

Kwert SS.org Regular

One of my drummer's ex-girlfriends was, at the time, my best friend. Their bassist had just knocked up his lady and joined the army so they were looking for one. She told 'em she didn't know any bassists but she had a friend (me) who played cello. That's pretty much what got the ball rolling.

8. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Find the local music scene and the venues that good local bands play. There's bound to be a ton of like minded musicians there to chill with.

9. ZeroTolerance94

ZeroTolerance94 SS.org Regular

Craigslist.

Answered an ad to a bassist and drummer looking for a reliable guitarist to start jamming with. Sent them some videos and next thing I know I'm jamming with them. Twice a week, every Tuesday and Thursday. About an hour drive away, but well worth it.

Drummer ended up being Derek Roddy, which the bassist neglected to tell me when talking to me on the phone.

Talk about an intimidating first audition/jam session...

...You never know who you're going to meet with Craigslist.

10. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

I "liked" all the big metal bands from my area and when one lost a bassist I slipped right into the spot :)

11. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

i've known the singer since we were 12, drummer since i was 16 and our other guitarist was the boyfriend of our drummers sister and classmate of our singer, i met him when i was 17 or something. our old bass player when i was 12 too or something.

We started the band when we were 18/19 or something? So we were all friends long before we started this band, which makes being in this band a lot of fun. Hell, our drummer and old bass player (who i still see almost every week) barely listen to the kind of metal we make. they just thought it would be fun to play in a band as a bunh of friends. Me and the singer started this band and we pretty much decide what kind of music we're playing. It actually works out really well.

12. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I still play with guys from high school :)

Though I have a good one from a previous band I was in: My dad is a teacher. One of his students was a really talented musician, they became friends and because the guy had more talent than money, my dad decided to support the guy's musical carreer by giving him his Gibson SG in exchange of the guy's crappy Epiphone. Well, the guy's band (Mando Diao) blows up into international rockstars. At some point my dad had (unbeknownst to me) given the guy my demo (the pseudo-gothic shreddings of a 15-year old) which he gave to his mom, who showed it to his sister, who calls me up maybe 4 years later and asks me if I want to audition for her folkrock/americana band.

Played for several years and did national TV and big festivals with that band :) Good times!

13. Fraz666

Fraz666 SS.org Regular

I met them at school or venues

14. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

Great stuff guys. Thanks for the feedback. Lots of great ideas here. Rock on.

15. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

Local ads. Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah all have one called KSL. I met everyone in my current band there.

When i first moved to Utah i met the guitarist in the first band i had here in a Golden Corral. He saw my Trivium Shogun tour shirt from the show the night before. Then he walked up and started talking about them and we talked about our own music.

Tour shirts are the best. everytime i wear one someone comes and asks me about the show and stuff

16. -One-

-One- Not So Kool-Aid

My old band played a ton of shows with their old band, though I had been seeing their old band for a year or so at that time. Then my old band broke up, and I joined their band when they lost a guitarist. When we broke up, the other guitarist, myself, and the vocalist formed a new band.

17. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

:scratch:

18. The Hiryuu

The Hiryuu Dot dot dot.

I went to see local bands and basically plucked members from them. (Although in fairness, I've known my other guitarist for years. And my bassist asked me to sing for his King Diamond tribute band before I talked him into joining my new band.)

My recommendation is to socialize, especially with people in the bands you're going to see. Gear talk is usually a good ice breaker. You never know who might be looking for another band.

19. The Hiryuu

The Hiryuu Dot dot dot.

I would think that would be something you'd mention in your ad. ...., Derek Roddy?

20. PyramidSmasher

PyramidSmasher Chess Dragon

Craigslist many years ago and stayed in loose contact. The guy who was the singer back then has since started playing guitar and is now actually almost where Im at (I was always lead guitar)