How bad is this?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dumple Stilzkin, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

2. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I can't tell if that's chip out from pulling the frets or excess glue. Either could be fixed, as can pretty much anything if you're willing to spend enough.

I'd just pass and have one refretted with stainless down the road if it became an issue.

3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Most luthiers can fix this pretty easy with some filler and sanding it back down, but I'd clarify if this is chip out or glue drip. Either way it's fixable. Even how it is I doubt it woud get in the way when playing those frets. The seller does say it's cosmetic which to me implies glue and not chip-out. A new one is $2100 so it seems a bit high priced for being used and having issues. I know LTD's get some flak but this one looks awesome for $1100
    https://www.espguitars.com/products/21022-mh-1007?category_id=1964652-7-8-string-guitars

4. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

The marks at frets 19 & 20 kinda look like glue residue, but the thing at feet 22 looks like fairly significant gouges in the wood.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Looks like a mix of both. Chipout filled with glue residue.

I know ebony is super brittle, but jesus.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

When luthier goes wrong! Tear out and refilled with glue instead of filling with ebony dust/glue mixture. No doubt seller is moving on due to botched customization. For you it really comes down to it being worth while to having SS frets vs more perfect specimen of this guitar.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Lolz.

Someone was in a hurry.

It can be fixed, probably for fairly cheap if you don't feel up to it yourself.

I'd offer them $1k.

Musiscience likes this.
  8. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Yes can be glue or chip
    I had a n4 refretted recently,previous owner had a terrible re fretwork on it, like badly glued and fret base not even inserted straight inside the wood...playable but aesthetically dreadful
    I asked my luthier to refret it
    It was a pita for him to remove and put new frets as the ebony board was so breakable... fret/filler/sanding but he couldnt do without leaving some little chips here and there. Can happen sometimes depending of the ebony quality

9. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Sheesh.

I love the "frets have been replaced by a professional luthier (at considerable expense)" comment

* immediately proceeds to show absolutely fucked up job by luthier* :lol:

If that's just glue (which I don't think it is) it's not bad but it sure looks bad.

10. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

"Condition: Mint"

FFS.

mlp187, efiltsohg, XPT707FX and 5 others like this.
  11. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Right!?!

manu80 likes this.
  12. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

I don't buy guitars that have been "upgraded" like this anymore. If you're actually trying to be honest about the work (refretted by prev. owner and then gouges filled by you), you'll take a hit if/when you decide to resell.

I doubt most of us will own the majority of our guitars for > 6-10 years, and thus won't see problems arising from nickel frets during our ownership, unless you're a bluesdad bending the g/b strings for that sick twang. I'd hold out for a stock used model, see if you love it, and then pay someone who actually knows what they're doing to put in SS frets if/when you decide to keep the guitar.

EDIT: That said, if it is just glue, I'd grab it. Should come off easy with a credit card or gentle blade. Some of those quite look like gouges to me though.

aesthyrian and secretpizza like this.
  13. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

I agree with AdenM. If that's the model you really want, wait for a stock used one to pop up, play it for a while, and if you find that you're really, really running through the fretwire, upgrade to SS frets when the day comes. I know most people prefer stainless - myself included - but a well-polished nickel fret feels the same for the most part, and will stay strong for many years unless you're ripping some SRV 13's in standard tuning.

14. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

not for this kind of money. more like $1000
    E-II H FR-7 black without any troubles went for $1000 in Japan last week, and another one green burst kinda this one manufactured in 2019 for $1300. Add whatever for S&H and it is still in the same price range - minus the problems.

15. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Oh I saw this one a few days ago. I was really confused about he condition of the fretboard after the comment "Factory extra jumbo nickel frets have been replaced by a professional luthier (at considerable expense) with jumbo Stainless Steel frets.".

I'd pay $1300 for it, but that's about it. No way is that guitar considered "mint" with those marks. Still, I'd buy it even with those marks, just for a cheaper price though.

16. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

I hate lowballs as a seller but this seller 100% deserves all the lowballs

17. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Looks like shit, and I have no clue why the "professional luthier" didn't fill and sand those spots with saw dust fromvwhen they had the frets removed and sanded the radius, but that can still be done to those few frets. Or, you can maybe get it for a good price, and ignore those imperfections. They won't have any effect on your playing or tone, but yeah, looks like shit up close.

That sort of work does worry me as to the quality of the entire fretjob, and leaves me wondering what else might not be shown.

c7spheres likes this.
  18. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

Apart from the imperfections, the fret ends don't look that great to me... especially top parts of 17, 18 and 19. No way I'd pay that kind of money for a questionable guitar like this.

19. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

There's a reason they're selling it.

Save your money.

aesthyrian and c7spheres like this.
  20. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Hard pass. At least at that price. You can find much better E-II deals. I’d agree with Max - offer $1000. I just picked up a JL-7 minty for $950+shipping (also an E-II) so I think $1650 for that FB is ludicrous.

Musiscience likes this.