How about that Misha Toneforge?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Stijnson, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Sounds pretty good imo, the included pedal emulation and effects are really cool too.
    What you guys think, anyone pre-order it?

2. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I dig the tones but I think including presets only for preorders is stupid. It seems almost overly complex for a simple amp + few effects plugin that the presets would almost be necessary, especially with the odd "36 channels" thing.

Doubt I'll purchase anytime soon, need to wait until some real reviews come out as I'm already very satisfied with my selection of amp sims.

Does sound a LOT better than Toneforge Jason Richardson though. One of the worst sounding amp sims I've ever used.

Matt08642 and BlueTrident like this.
  3. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

$99USD for pre-order, $149USD if you don't. Eh. Looks good if you are after Misha's tone or don't already have a suite of plugins that work for you.

4. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Think it's probably your best shot at getting an Invective at this point

5. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Ah this isn't modeled off of the invective at all. Kind of it's own thing based off of recording tones!

6. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Fair enough, sounds pretty good to me either way

BlueTrident and lewis like this.
  7. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

It's pretty straightforward and the video demo is much appreciated, Misha. I just can't get down with software I cannot demo in any way, shape or form. I don't think you or JST is deliberately trying to be shifty, but that's table stakes these days. How it sounds with your guitar and hands has nothing to do with how it'll sound when I try it with mine.

I'm sure you all will sell plenty, tho.

8. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

I have the Toneforge Menace and Guilty Pleasure. Both of them were pretty big disappointments. Still, I decided to give them one more chance so I pre-ordered this one. Feature-wise it seems promising and the demo Misha made sounded pretty good.

As long as it gives me the ultimate djent rhythm tone then I'm happy but it would be nice if it's more versatile. The voicing-knob (or whatever it is) seems pretty interesting.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  9. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Wtf is the point of preordering software?!

10. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

I mean, look....You do get a modeled version of the precision drive which is awesome. The Reverb in the video sounds very similar to the Big Sky, at least to my ears, and the fact that the amp has like 36 modeled tones from that big knob in the middle is a pretty cool addition. I preordered, just because of the precision drive to be honest. Without that, Im not sure if I would have ordered it. Seriously though, its hard to think that this will be a crappy amp sim. The Jason Richardson is good, but it takes some EQ tweaking, and it would have benefited from an OD so I know how some people may feel about it, and I can sort of relate. I have a really good feeling about this, and I really think this is going to be the "go to" for producers that want quick, easy, with a good sound

11. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

I'm not sure that's an unfulfilled niche these days. Toontrack has how many different Metal Guitar Gods packs that are nothing but quick presets - including from Misha? Thermionik has quick presets for every amp model. You can still view Misha's YouTube demo video for his 4x12 Mesa cab pack where he shows his exact TSE X50 settings (slightly boosting the treble and bass, slightly scoopy the mids with the 808 pedal in front in clean boost mode).

The cleans sounded appropriately spacey enough, but spacey cleans come in most of those Toontrack packs too.

Not hating, mind you. Again, I know this will sell, and if I wasn't interested, I wouldn't even be in this thread. I just can't drop bread on plugins I can't try any more....

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I pre-ordered this, Joey's ad was a bit persuasive haha. The big appeal of this for me is having everything all in one sim where I can make presets, I love thermionik but it gets a bit messy having 7 plug-ins for one guitar track, hardest thing to find is a decent noisegate for guitar, nobody has made a standalone one yet. The JST approach of having a small high quality setup is great for finding a quick good tone and the extra tone tweaking options that they've added in this one is going to give limitless options judging from the demo video.

mikah912 likes this.
  13. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

-You get it one day earlier
    -You get it cheaper
    -You get the presets made by Misha

The price alone justifies it, imo. I do understand if you want to wait for reviews and/or user experiences but 99$ don't break my bank even if it's ends up being a disappointment.

14. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

The preorders make me nervous, coming from the PC gaming world. But if this is built on a well-proven engine it should be alright.

15. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Yeah, marketing trick to trigger more purchases. But technically it makes no sense. If the software is already programmed why let people wait.

16. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

It's so you can get on the waitlist, in case they run out of software to ship :lol:

17. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

Probably to secure funds before release to avoid pirating. Not to mention, overhead for anyone involved with whom they have to pay for their services

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  18. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Which one of the 12 reverb machines in the big sky would you say it sounds similar to?

19. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

The big sky sounds like all reverb.

20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Mmmh, preorder software with day one DLC (the presets). Not the way you should be going, that's a surefire way to alienate customers.
    (Won't comment on tone, I'm getting an axe III delivered on monday so obviously won't buy this)

LeviathanKiller and I play music like this.