Horrible tone out of my new Schecter Demon 8 + Behringer UMC22 USB interface.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by saurion, May 17, 2020.

1. saurion

saurion SS.org Regular

Hey everyone, I've recently bought a Schecter Demon 8 with Duncan Designed HB 105/8 active pickups and a Behringer UMC22 USB interface because I wanted to write and record some djenty riffs, but no matter what I try, my tone is absolute trash. Sounds overly distorted, with little sustain and canny (if that's a thing). The lower 7 strings sound somewhat acceptable, but the 8th string has absolutely no tonal definition, everything sounds like a huge noisy mess.

I've tried both inputs on the interface, different cables of varying quality, lowering the pickups, and changing the battery. All this gave me minimal improvements.

My chain is Interface > Ignite TSB101 > Ignite Emissary > NadIR, recorded in Reaper. I've also tried the Amped Roots and STL Will Putney amp sims, and they sound horrible too. I've tried linking some riffs I've recorded but the site won't let me.

Im not sure wether the problem is the guitar preamp/pickups or the interface. I dont know what else to try, other than returning/replacing the gear.

Any and all help will be very appreciated! Thanks!

2. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

You'll need to use Soundcloud or similar hosting service in order to post links to your music here.

3. saurion

saurion SS.org Regular

Yeah, I tried, but my account is new and the site won't let me add links.

4. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

I highly doubt its the guitar man

5. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Just some things to check, may be obvious, so if it is, no offense:
    Turn the gain on the instrument input completely off. If you have active pickups (or passive, usually), the instrument input on the interface is usually expecting the signal just off the pickups with no gain or attenuation. Most amp sim plugins are looking for that level of signal.

Make sure you have direct monitoring on the interface off completely, and track monitoring in the DAW on.

Does Behringer have it's own drivers for that interface? I know a lot of people end up with ASIO4ALL somehow, but if there are official drivers, use those instead. A4A is a workaround to Windows audio needing to see an ASIO device, and not a solution for all the time IMO.

saurion likes this.
  6. saurion

saurion SS.org Regular

Update for anyone that might be interested: I tried the Mercuriall Reaxis VST and everything sounds ten times better now, so the problem is likely software related.

So my next question is: Any tips for a good djenty tone?

7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

All of those other VSTs work just fine for most people, but whatever works. Djenty tone is low-cut->clean boost-> high gain amp with the gain down as low as you can go->Mesa OS IR

8. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

Try the free trials of the Neural vst's