Horizon Devices working on a delay/reverb pedal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jun 15, 2018.

1. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

All my pedals are crammed into a rack slider and I concur with top mount jacks lol. Until I found a cheap ebay place selling 3ft right angle to straight cable 6 packs for $11 I had to buy right angle converters for the ones near the side of the drawer.

2. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I'm genuinely curious as to what the hell you're doing that you need that many pedals. Tuner, OD, Gate, done (or Tuner, HM-2, done if that's your bag). Maybe add wah and delay if you're feeling really fancy.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

I had an entire board dedicated to fuzz, HM2, boosts and distortions, another board that was entirely reverb, delay and modulation effects, and then a smaller one full of oddball stuff and pedals I'd built as small projects, plus the footswitches for both amps (I use a dual amp setup exclusively) . It was totally over the top and absolutely unnecessary, I dont regret scaling down, but "buy a bigger board because side mount jacks are space inefficient and contribute to wasted space" makes no sense. Top mount is in every way a more space effective design.

4. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

What do you have on your new "scaled-down" setup that a PT3 isn't more room than you could ever want or need?

5. oracles

ABY, 2 boosts, 2 fuzzes, HM2, chorus, 2 reverbs, 2 delays, tuner, and a buffer.

6. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Do you use all of that in a typical set? I'm blown away by the 2 boosts, 2 fuzzes, and an HM2; I'd figure you'd pick a boost, a fuzz, or an HM2 and rock just that? Maybe two pedals from that category, since it looks like you're rocking 2 amps with the ABY (although for most usages, you could probably just put your OD/Fuzz/Buzzsaw in front of the ABY and send it out to both amps, because you'd typically not want to run a buzzsaw on one amp with a normal TS-9 tone on the other), but 5, man.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  7. Soya

Soya Poor person

Why are you so concerned about someone else's rig?

8. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Because I'm genuinely curious about this use case. It's kind of blowing my mind, and I'm interested in knowing how one would use all of this.

oracles likes this.
  9. oracles

Yep. The fuzzes are very different from each other, one boost is used as a clean boost for amp gain, the other as a dirt source with no amp gain to introduce light grit on a clean setting. It's all used in a context similar to Russian Circles, which is itself very pedal heavy and uses multiple pedals of the same effect type.

FILTHnFEAR, cwhitey2 and rexbinary like this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Please, oh enlightened one, tell me how to use side jack and top jack pedals together in a means where it isn't an eyesore. Or furthermore, how to put two top jack pedals side by side in a manner where it doesn't require the patch cable to stick in their air. Top mount is awful. "Oh yay, I saved some space. Except now the fucking cables are sticking up and I can't clear them to hit the row of pedals behind them." Great, wonderful design idea.

11. oracles

....are you incapable of simply just flipping the cable so that *GASP* it faces DOWNWARD instead of straight vertical? This is much, much simpler than you're making it out to be. I get it, you hate top mount but it seems more like user error than anything else.

As for using top and side mount together, they make these cables now, and hold tight because this may really throw you, but these cables (still with me?) Are actually DESIGNED FOR THAT. "U" shaped cables arent the only option anymore, you can use "S" cables.
    [​IMG]

Amazing.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Cool, Oracles. You can buy me those patch cables. I'm not buying a bunch of patch cables for possible "what if" scenarios from people insisting on changing pedal designs from side mounted jacks to top mounted jacks. But in the meantime, you're stuck with using side and top mounted jack pedals together, and the cabling options are horrendous. Aside from Rats and the Matthews Architect v2 I have, I'll skip on top mounted jacks.

13. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I haven't seen so much immediate butthurt over the prospect of new gear since the Kiesel thread :lol:

14. oracles

People are insisting on it because it's a better, neater solution. More and more pedal builders are switching to top mount because it's the preferred option for most people. The cabling options arent horrendous, I just showed you how to fix it. Covenant sells high quality pre made cables at low cost. You're arguing an easily solvable problem. If the people prefer top mount, which has been the case in this thread so far, the market will adjust, and solutions already exist to allow you to use both top and side mount pedals in unison without issue or straining your cables.

15. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Some people just need to argue :coffee:
    Top jacks or death

mnemonic, Randy and oracles like this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

Sooo... ~$10 right angle to straight 6" patch cables, say you need about 5, is a "low cost" solution? Uh, yeah, sure thing.

17. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Bulb is just reading this whilst eating popcorn and thinking "look at these assholes. Why am I even trying to venture into the realm of consumer products..."

18. Soya

Soya Poor person

Dude if you can't afford $50 in patch cables to connect/organize the pedals you already paid for, maybe you're barking up the wrong tree.

19. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

the video sounds killer, like a mix between all of my favourite walrus reverb / delay pedals, looking forward to this Horizon team

20. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

I didn't think my comment about top jacks would derail the thread like this....but S.O.A is here so it was bound to happen.
    :hmmm:

beavis2306 likes this.