Horizon Devices Preamp Pedal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Vyn, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Anyone have any experience with the Nux Solid Studio? Seems like it could be a cool option to pair with the Apex (or other) preamp.

2. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Why not just use a Mooer Radar instead?

3. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I love how this guy always disappears when people here have discussions about technical stuff like if his pedal is basically an MXR 5150 Overdrive or the analog cab sim. But when someone mentions interest in buying one of his products, then he immediately appears out of nowhere. It's almost as comical as the guy wanting to buy a preamp for his AX8 without understanding what it actually does :lol:

Btw Misha why do you not have a vendor account like Balaguer, Sully and the other guys here on this forum selling stuff?

Veldar, StevenC, lewis and 1 other person like this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Tbf though, bulb answered in full about the differences between this and the 5150 OD on the live stream where he is demo'ing the APEX

Razerjack likes this.
  5. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Yeah it was confirmed in the Horizon Devices live stream on launch day. The whole circuit is completely different to the 5150. Interesting comment as well about how the 5150 still needs a boost in front to deal with lower tunings where as the Apex is just plug and play.

6. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

5150 amp needs a boost for lower tunings.
    5150 pedal needs a boost for lower tunings.

I mean, completely different? It's a distortion pedal, it's going to have some things in common. I guess I'd like to hear someone post-pedal eq'ing on the 5150 pedal vs. the apex and see how close they come out. Not a dig at the overall concept: if you want an apexy sound out of the box I see on reason not to buy that, for simplicity's sake + the gate. But I think they'd probably come out pretty similar sounding and it would surprise the pedal noobs.

Veldar likes this.
  7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I’d be curious to see the circuit, I’ve seen plenty of pedals and amps with three components changed that were ‘totally different’.

To be fair, changing the right three components, you can totally change the sound. Even just changing pot tapers or values can make people think it’s totally different, given people tend to be allergic to varying too far from noon with their EQ these days.

Not that I would expect Horizon to release a schematic.

KnightBrolaire and I play music like this.
  8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I actually have zero experience with the 5150 pedal, was thinking of grabbing a cheap used one to test against the Apex when it arrives.

9. IbanezIsLife

IbanezIsLife Hogg

If he responded to every negative thing in this thread, he'd be arguing with random internet people all day. A lot of the stuff you guys are asking about, they already addressed in the live stream.

couverdure and lewis like this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I think the closest we'll get is a gut shot they posted on Instagram.

Also there's a bit of backstory in the post as well, saying the pedal's actually been in development for awhile now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bls19mBBEGJ/?hl=en&taken-by=horizon_devices

11. Deadpool_25

Because, options. I’m sure the Mooer is great. Just curious to see if anyone knew about this pedal. /shrug

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  12. HeHasTheJazzHands

I feel like the Mooer Radar is the best bet out of all the recent IR loaders. Small footprint, 3rd party IRs, and has an on-board EQ.

LeviathanKiller and Deadpool_25 like this.
  13. Deadpool_25

Was there actually a livestream about this pedal? Is it saved anywhere? My main question is about its use as a preamp into an amp’s FX loop. I’m sure you’ll get a good high gain tone, but what about when you turn it off and want a good clean tone? That’s a good thing about the AMT pedals—they have great gain tones using the preamp output, and then a pretty good clean when the pedal is disengaged.

lewis likes this.
  14. IbanezIsLife

IbanezIsLife Hogg

Yea there was a Livestream up on Facebook and Instagram. It's still up on the Horizon Devices Facebook group. He plugged it into the FX loop on it as well, I remember that.

lewis and Deadpool_25 like this.
  15. HeHasTheJazzHands

It 's true bypass. So yeah, it's just gonna be a unfiltered clean sound it seems.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  16. Deadpool_25

Have you guys actually looked at that Nux Solid Studio?

Again, I’m not saying it’s better than the Mooer. It just seems to be worth a look. I’m not at all an IR guy. I have very little need for (so very little experience with) IRs and such.

On paper, the Radar has more cabs and more mics, and you can load your own IRs easily via computer. The Nux seems to have lower latency, higher resolution, and more connection options. Also I’m not sure how the custom IR loader works in terms of 3rd party IRs. It says you can load them, but it looks more cumbersome from what I can tell.

Anyway, just seemed like it might be a cool product worth a look.

17. Deadpool_25

Cool, I’ll check out the live stream. And that’s another cool thing about the AMT pedals...I have one and could run the Apex into that clean preamp lol. It works well with the BE-OD and G3, and even other AMT pedals set to drive output.

lewis and IbanezIsLife like this.
  18. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It looks like the Nux is very 'plug n' play'. Turn the knobs to taste and off you go. The thing is, if you load in some different impulses, you'd have to remember where each one is because unlike the Mooer Radar, there's no screen to tell you what's loaded into that specific spot.

I have a Radar and I'll agree that the layout of the Nux does make it look easier to use. With the Radar, you have to use the one knob on it to navigate menus, change parameters, etc.. so it does take some patience. So in a sense it's ease of use (Nux) vs a lot more options (more pre-sets, power amp simulation, 3 types of 5 band parametric eq with the Mooer Radar). That being said, Hotone also has a new IR loader that looks pretty promising. It's called the "Binary Cab" and had I not bought the Radar, this might have been my 2nd choice.

[​IMG]

http://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/Binary/Binary/2018/0224/262.html

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  19. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Do guitar players ever use preamp pedals? I know bassist do a lot, but you guys normally get mic'd on stage?

20. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

This is essentially distortion pedal, but being branded as a "preamp" because that is how these pedals are being used these days. It can still be put in front of a traditional amp like a distortion pedal, but now the use case for distortion pedals has increased. You can plug it direct into a power amp and power a cab, plug it into an audio interface with or without cab simulation and record. Bass preamp pedals are essentially the same thing as distortion/gain pedals as well.

Veldar likes this.