Home studio noob metal mix.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Furyof, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Furyof

Furyof SS.org Regular

Hey guys I want your opinions on this. I am trying to get better at.. well everything really. I just installed new pickups into my guitar and made this song with it. It isn't some great musical piece or anything but something that was fun to play. Still I'd like to know opinions on how the mix or the song sounds.
    The tones and what not.

https://soundcloud.com/furyof/fallen-crown
    Here it is. Thanks for listening and I'd love feedback so I can get better

For the tone I used the X50 from TSE audio (The old free version, not the new one)
    And a cab sim plug with a Mesa cab.

2. Aion

Aion SS.org Regular

Overall it sounds pretty good, but the drums sound a bit quiet to me and the guitars a bit loud. I would adjust each a touch respectively. In the parts where there are multiple guitars, make sure the lead parts stand out a bit from the rhythm. I generally think it's best to use an EQ that is signiicantly different, or get a different sound via a different amp or pedals (which will in and of itself require you to EQ differently). But the tones all sound pretty tight, they make sense for what you're playing, and the songwriting all works well together.

3. EnormousName

EnormousName Active Member

^ Pretty much as above. Also, the bass feels pretty nonexistent, and I'd push it more to the front. Either that, or the guitars could use more meat at around 250Hz. As is, the guitars sound a bit thin and weak.
    Also, I don't know how the routing in EZdrummer works, but I think the kick could use a bit more click, and the overheads feel pretty overbearing every now and then, so I'd probably tame them a bit. It's also possible that sidechain compressing your rhythm guitars with the snare (yes, really, just remember to be gentle) could give it a bit of the punch it needs.

Oh, and remember to take everything I say with a grain of salt, since I'm stuck using pretty subpar monitors atm :)