Holy Sh*t moments in music.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by jonajon91, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Oh, and...Devin Townsend's singing...! Gotta dig deeper, this guy is nuts!

2. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

^ Devins most impressive singing is often his double tracked vocals or backing vocals he does in the studio, listen out for him singing melodies an octave higher on the addicted! album and some ridiculous SYL screams in the background on Deconstruction.

3. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

So far my holy .... moments of 2015 include the first time I heard the riff in Cirice by Ghost and the other was listening to saints and cigarettes by The Wonder Years.

4. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

From 2015:
    Periphery - Graveless: Outro riff section, starting at 3:21
    David Maxim Micic - Universe in a Crayon: The entire piano part. I absolutely love his piano compositions, they sound like they could be a part of a very moving soundtrack. They are usually quite melodically simple, but they are so expressive and musical they just blow my mind. This is kind of a general statement of all of his piano intros. I love them.

Stuff I've discovered recently but is from pre-2015:
    Caligula's Horse - City Has No Empathy: The build up to the "F*** This City' vamp from 4:20-end
    Lindsey Stirling - Shatter Me: Bass drop for the dubstep part at 1:10. Yes, I'm serious.
    Monuments - Atlas: All the harmonized vocal parts
    Chimp Spanner - Cloud City: Bass part from 1:10-1:39

Classics:
    Dream Theater - Metropolis: "The third is love / love is the dance of eternity"
    Between the Buried And Me - White Walls: "WHITE WALLS!!!" x4 - especially the build up

5. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

https://caustva.bandcamp.com/track/cotard-delusion-3

The build up into the final groove is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a while. The first time I heard it I had to replay it 10 times (not a big deal as it clocks in at under 2 minutes :lol:) The whole EP (6 songs in under 10 minutes) is a masterpiece and is definitely high on my list for the year. The artwork is pretty great imo as well.

[​IMG]

6. Ikiharmaa

Ikiharmaa It's all white.

This was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i64XTIo-b9I

also the rave part at the end of me!me!me! ;D And that's it for 2015 pretty much. I haven't been listening to metal much, so I've missed a lot of stuff probably.

If we consider older things then the bass solo and things after that in Unbreakable by Seventh Wonder really gave me shivers, still does. Slice The Cake's Kow Otani's Castle In The Sky, you know, the piano part and what comes after it, The Great Migration that comes before the song is probably part of the experience, damn great. And Bilo 3.0. Then MÃ¥sstaden. Oh, and before that Unexpect's debut album, and again when I heard Orange Vigilantes. If we go even further back in time, I guess it would be Sleeping Stars of Wintersun.

7. Richie666

Richie666 SS.org Regular

In Our Blood was the heaviest thing I've ever witnessed.

8. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

I'm sorry, are we the same person?

9. Ikiharmaa

Ikiharmaa It's all white.

Unlikely, you just have a superb taste in music bro.

10. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

The most recent has to have been yesterday. I picked up the 2112 Deluxe Edition for cheap from my local record store and put it in the stereo system after smoking a bowl. I got to the part of Presentation where the priests smash the guitar and the solo starts and I found my love for Rush all over again. Side note: The live versions of Overture, The Temples of Syrinx, and A Passage to Bangkok that are included on this version of the album kick ass.

Other stuff includes:
    Neil Peart's drum solo when I saw Rush on the R40 tour
    Every new AAL release has blown my mind somewhere
    The intro to Omega by Periphery
    The intro to Superstition by Stevie Wonder when I first heard it on vinyl
    Endoscopic Removal of a Large Choanal Polyp by Liquorworks

11. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

The first time I read the lyrics along to this song blew my mind. It's so refreshing to not have lyrics as an afterthought, the tone of the lyrics changes and so does the music. Without a doubt my favorite death metal song.

Spawn of possession - The apparition (fast bit)
    http://youtu.be/MH_9YoEuirc?t=5m43s

12. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

For 2015 I think one of the biggest "holy sh*t this is just so moving" moments I've had is the chorus to Sand Baptism from Rivers of Nihil. They're changing the game. I really am inspired by them to learn more about adding atmospheric elements and space and breath in my music.

On the other side of the spectrum, in July I saw The Kennedy Veil in Brooklyn on the Psycroptic tour. They were insane. I had been listening to their music but they just destroyed imo. They're relentless and do NOT stop and give themselves or the listeners a break.

Seeing BTBAM live on the Parallax tour blew up my brain.

Finding Nexilva and hearing "Eschatologies" for the first time. It's just super stupidly heavy and chaotic and fast. I strived for that for a time. I still do haha.

13. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

In no particular order or chronology, some bands and songs that make me go "holy shiet"

"Moments of Clarity" by Erra on their latest EP. Saw them play it live before the EP was released and loved it! Instantly recognized it the first time listening through the EP, too :)

The chorus section and intro of "Atlas" by Monuments

Pretty much everything Lamb of God and Devin Townsend have done has given me those "holy shiet" moments. Too many to list

2:37-3:22 of "The Bad Thing" by Periphery. Seriously need to see them live again just for this song :mf666: also "Facepalm Mute" gets me every time

"Blackest Eyes" by Porcupine Tree. That entire album, in fact. Opened me up to a lot of progressive stuff in my early days of playing heavy music.

All of The Wonder Years' Greatest Generation album. The last track pulls the rest of them together and never fails to give me goosebumps.

The new Good Tiger single, "Snake Oil"

"Beauty in Tragedy" by August Burns Red. Awesome writing/riffing, and the lyrics really helped me through the loss of my Aunt and a close friend last summer. Another goosebump song.

"The Other Half" by The Ghost Inside

"Home is for the Heartless" by Parkway Drive

"Jambi" by Tool

"Blood Bank" by Red Seas Fire

"Fur and Claw" by Thy Art is Murder. One of the most go-hardest intros of any go-hard song I've heard

"Hatred and Slaughter" by Carnifex. Heard this one live before I heard it on the album and I stopped headbanging and with wide eyes mouthed "holy ...." during the groove at 2:14

"Flying Whales" by Gojira. This was the first song I heard from them and is pretty much the whole reason I ever even cared to get into them.

"Rareform" by After the Burial. Again, the first song of theirs I heard, which led me to get into the band, and extended range guitars as a result of that!

14. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian Contributor

Two more groups of guys I forgot about, August Burns Red and After the Burial both just floor me.
    For ABR there's 'Indonesia,' with Tommy's guest vocals. The epic feel of that section leading into the outro, especially when you know that the song was written about the loss of one of Matt's close friends, hits pretty hard imo.
    Then the spoken word section in 'Spirit Breaker' made me yank my phone out of my pocket to make sure I knew what track that was. Doesn't happen often.
    Also, how the riff from 1/14/2011 or w/e the title was, that clean piece off of Leveler, comes back on as distortion in 'Boys of Fall'? Delicious. Made that whole song way more massive.

I had just kind of discovered After the Burial last year and they instantly got into my list of favorites. That little lead part in 'Virga' reminded me that lead guitar is actually awesome, the breakdown in 'Anti-Pattern' was the first one in like...forever to actually make me lose my ****. And I still think the outro lead / solo section in 'Disconnect' is solidly in my top 5 of all time.
    The leads in A Steady Decline, the groove of pretty much the entire In Dreams album, out of this world.

15. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know why embedding videos is not working for me right now? I usually just take out the 'S' from the HTTPS in the URL, but thats not cutting it now.

16. noobstix

noobstix SS.org Regular

There are a few for me:

Hearing Tesseract intro with Proxy live, that vocal intro just gets me every time. And also hearing Deception - CTF pt.2 live was just insane. There's something about being in a room of people who share the same love for a song as you do.

The Scourge by Periphery, as someone else said here "the bit with the thing".

Coming Back To Life - Pink Floyd

The first one for me would have been Pull Harder by Trivium when I was about 12.

17. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I didn't get into music until I was 13. I never heard anything on the radio that I liked except some oldies stuff, but I didn't really attach to that. Then I was somewhere and someone popped in Slipkont's self titled (it was 2000), and my head exploded. I realized the reason I never got into music was because there was no metal on the radio.

Another one was the first time I heard real Metallica. I had only heard the radio version which was decent at best, I mean some the Black album was pretty cool, but the first time I heard Battery it was definite;y a holy .... moment. I've been hooked on that thrashy sound ever since.

18. Xplozive

Xplozive SS.org Regular

Innocent babe! I hope they play this live soon. His vox kill it

19. Aviator

Aviator SS.org Regular

I had tons of jaw dropping moments when I stumbled across new bands but propbably the 3 "HOLY SH!T" moments were:

1) 2007 - Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Iron Maiden which got me into metal

2) 2009 - Stream of Consciusness, Dream Theater which got me interested in more technical music

3) 2010 - Fingers Like Daggers, After The Burial which was the first song I liked even tho it had harsh vocals and ultimately led me to "djent"

And for 2015 it is definetely Bad Thing, solo and chorus part.

20. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

I don't know how I forgot this one though the whole album is full of moments that stop me if I'm walking. The outro to this song is one of the best riffs ever though so worthy of the share.

Native Construct - Passage (outro)
    http://youtu.be/PcO0Am9eAcc?t=6m42s

---edit---

Man I wish embedding was working.