Hole on the side of pickup covers

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Probably some obvious thing I should be able to figure out, but the brand new Dimarzios I ordered each have a hole through the cover on the side.

I've never had pickups with these squared edge covers, and none of my other covered pickups have holes on the sides.

ixlramp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's hope for you.
It's not hopeless.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Welp if @ixlramp posts and the post contains a joke instead of an extremely good detailed answer, I don't think we'll ever know what the holes are for! :lol:

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
"open pore pickups allow them to breathe and resonate more, producing exceptional string separation and clarity even under modern high gain."
and coupled with a stone tone, the sonic transference along with the open pore pickup ethereally captures vibratory dimensional energy creating heightened transients.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"open pore pickups allow them to breathe and resonate more, producing exceptional string separation and clarity even under modern high gain."

and coupled with a stone tone, the sonic transference along with the open pore pickup ethereally captures vibratory dimensional energy creating heightened transients.

This is an old trick ambient players have been using for years. I drill my own pickup covers, really helps with creating airy, expansive soundscapes.

This is actually just a shortcut though, the best way to do it is to make the covers/bobbins out of a highly porous tonewood like balsa. Best of both worlds.

død

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They’re air holes for the Tone Goblins that live inside your pickups.

Latest posts