Hobby Lobby Fined over $220,000

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by ElRay, Jun 13, 2014.

1. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

A.G. Schneiderman Secures Over $220,000 Settlement From Hobby Lobby Stores In An Investigation Of Misleading Advertising | Eric T. Schneiderman

Well, it's not over their attempts to deny their employees comprehensive healthcare by forcing modern interpretations of a supposedly inerrant and unchanging 2,000 year old mythology on all their employees, or their attempts to deny non-employee's civil rights, or their attempts to get creationism and revisionist christian history taught in schools.

But it is good olde dishonesty. More christian hypocrisy, expectation of special privilege and view that civil laws don't apply to them.

Ray

JoshuaVonFlash, Edika, 7stg and 3 others like this.
  2. asher

asher So Did We

It certainly scratches a small schadenfreude itch.

3. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

But everything is 50% off all the time! What a deal!

4. Randy

Randy Taste the Rainbowâ„¢ Super Moderator

As a New Yorker, I enjoy the notion of having an attorney general that does his damn job. Good on you, Schneiderman

5. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Crazy Eddies -- Successfully going out of business for 27 years!

6. Dog Boy

Dog Boy SS.org Regular

I'm pissed cause they ain't open on Sunday. My only day for hobbies!!

7. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    So, does this dishonesty mean the Hobby Lobby isn't really a Christian organization... or is just a very *bad* Christian organization?

8. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Well, if you asked your typical Christian, any 'Christian' who does ANYTHING bad, or that is counter to what they believe Christianity to be, is not 'really' a Christian in the first place. :rolleyes::lol:

9. Explorer

I'm still wondering how a corporation decides that Jesus is its personal lord and savior.

10. celticelk

celticelk SS.org Regular

Seriously. I'm unsure exactly where the Hobby Lobby case should be resolved on the basis of infringement of the owners' religious liberties, but I'm dead-set against the idea that the legal fiction that is a corporation has any claim to independent religious liberties. Corporations which appear to be making religious liberty claims are either making claims on behalf of their owners or their customers (the "what if kosher delis were outlawed?" hypothetical, for example).

11. asher

asher So Did We

Corporations are people too, dontcha know.

12. Explorer

Corporations are legally people, but do they make their own decisions, or are the decisions made by those who are given that power of decision?

In other words, can someone with power of attorney decide that another person will convert to a religion? That the person wants to convert to, say Buddhism and give away all his or her possessions?

I just wonder how, if pursuit of a religious goal isn't part of a corporation's charter, how a corporation "gets religion."

13. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

.... Hobby Lobby. That is all.

14. celticelk

celticelk SS.org Regular

BTW, the SCOTUS decision in the Hobby Lobby case will be released on Monday at 10 AM EDT. It's the Court's last decision-announcement event of the session.

15. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Corporate personhood doesn't mean that corporations are people in the same sense that we are. It just means that the business is a separate entity from its owners, can own things and can be held liable for its debts and any damages its employees cause separate from its owners. In contrast, other types of businesses like sole proprietorships and partnerships are not separate from their owners. If the business does something (say a customer is injured in the store) the law sees this as if the owner personally caused (via negligence or otherwise as the case may be) the injury to the customer.

As to whether or not its OK for a business to have a religious intent, the answer is yes to an extent. It's OK to set up a corporation as a kosher deli or a Christian bookstore, but it's not OK to force the employees to convert to that religion, though people associating with that religion will be most inclined to seek employment in such businesses, so there may be no practical difference. It will be interesting to read the SC ruling on this as it could change how things are done (though I doubt it will).

16. Explorer

I agree that personhood arising out of incorporation is a legality, but the owner of Hobby Lobby has asserted that the corporation has a religious point of view, even though he is availing himself of the protections of incorporation. He wants the protections, and the separation of liability, but wants other things to be extended from himself to his corporation.

That's why I'm wondering how one would decide that a corporation is actually Christian, or Muslim, or whatever.

For what it's worth, the owner did too many interviews wherein he talked about intrusive government, and never once mentioned religion as a factor. Instead, it was about sticking it to Obama.

In my fantasies, someone inserted transcriptions of all that into the record, or filed it in a brief, so that the current strategy can be seen as the result of flailing around in order to not cover employees.

17. MikeyLawless

MikeyLawless SS.org Regular

I dont always where a band shirt to hobby lobby, but whe i do, its SLAYER!!!!

18. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

#grammarpolice

19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I was going to include an opinion, but I was just informed that the morality police do not accept anything other than their trendy hive mind perspective. I'm a Christian [let's not confuse ourselves with your typical Jehovah's Witness knocking at the door or your pushy Catholic churchy types] and honestly I don't care what other people do. If you want to go .... squirrels and abort your babies, good; I probably want to deal with them anyways. I mean, think about it... if they hate their own creations that much, imagine how the kids gonna turn out after 18 years of that person as a parent.

And btw, I'm not a holier-than-thou Christian. Hell, I stubbed my toe this morning and said a few curse words that probably made baby Jesus sad.

20. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

My comment was more elaboration for the benefit of those not familiar with the concept of corporate personhood than an attempt to educate you. :lol:

Currently one does not, that's why I was saying it will be interesting to read the SC ruling. I don't expect it to change anything, but the SC is right leaning, so they may throw something in that becomes case law and affects us all in some form.