Hiwatt Super-Hi vs. Dover DA-50

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by narad, Feb 22, 2021.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Was wondering what ever happened to the super-hi 50 and stumbled upon this demo, and we have another DA-50 demo thread right next to this one. This seemed a pretty weird one in terms of music/instrument but I have my thoughts on it, curious to hear yours:

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  2. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Other than the designer connection it sort of seems a weird combination of amps to test together to me, as the Hiwatt has quite thick sort of vintage mids, and the Dover more modern, scooped but dry in comparison. Doesn't seem like two amps i'd be narrowing down to choose between for a particular sound.

3. DeathByButterslax

DeathByButterslax SS.org Regular

The video tones don't really do it for me. Arnold's tones are always so 'blurry' sounding.

No more Gower - Sylosis gas??

4. narad

Okay, ya, I also find it weird -- since the designer left to start Dover I expected to like the Dover more, and based on customer service I want to like the Dover more, but I vastly prefer the Hiwatt (the Dover sounds to me a bit like an Engl that's not dialed in right).

Ha, well, I guess I'll always have that GAS. Just the idea of not having a fixed donor amp / delivery schedule kind of puts me off (+ import).

5. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

There's something about the Hiwatt.

I haven't heard a sound sample yet that matches my tonal expectations, but I know for sure that I would love it with slightly different settings.

6. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Yeh the Dover sounds a bit weird to me, the highs a bit too hifi. I can see why people like it though.

Jocke Skog's youtube channel has the best representations of what the amp sounds like in the room i think. There's not many videos that capture the amp's growl properly.

Direct mic

narad likes this.
  7. narad

That's pretty close to my ideal metal rhythm sound. I forgot -- did you actually buy one of these?

8. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Yep, and it's the amp i'll try to never part with.

It can be dialed in to a tone with the least amount of fizz i've ever heard in a high gain tone. The presence control seems to dial it in and out perfectly.
    The mids are just amazing and a bit hard to describe. I have a hard time getting along with Marshalls, they have a weird nasty thing in the upper mids or high end somewhere that i try to dial out. This has none of that, so it's difficult for me to compare to other amps. The mids are really harmonically rich, and it just has this almost "clean growl" i love, even though it is high gain.
    It has tons of mids. The tone is pretty much all mids for how i have it dialed in. Yet it never gets honky.
    The gain control doesn't react like any other amp i've played either. No matter how high you set it, it never flubs out or gets "doomy" like a Marshall does. I don't really know how to describe how it reacts past 1 o' clock, but it's useable if you want to. There's enough gain and punch to not use a boost, but it still takes boosts well for a different flavour.

The design of the amp as a whole is really old fashioned, the design hasn't really altered from the ancient Hiwatt it's modded from. The loop is a bit noisy cuz of that i guess (i don't use it though). And the amp has a small hum like some vintage amps do. The whole power section is the actual old Hiwatt after all.
    It's a strange unicorn of an amp, but i love it because of all that.

narad and AboutBlank like this.