Hit songwriters Open Letter asking pop stars to stop taking credit for songs they didn't write

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Louis Cypher, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56587621
    Though I do understand the logic that 50% of money earned from a single by Lady Gaga, Michael Buble or whoever is better than 100% of nothing, I definitely come down on the side of the actual songwriters on this, the artist still earns by being the recording artist anyway plus as the open letter says they earn from all other revenue streams too like merch, touring etc, so why should songwriters be "bullied" by labels and big artists in to signing over their intellectual property rights?

2. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

This problem will soon be gone with Artificial Intelligence song writers.

Dumple Stilzkin and Alex79 like this.
  3. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Good for them, standing up for themselves like that, though it's probably an uphill battle to take an about-face on what's probably a common concession now.

4. JimF

JimF Contributor

I don't disagree with any of this, but I doubt anything will change. When people present a united front against something, then someone else with less integrity will come in and reap the rewards. Don't want to give Ariana Gomez a writing credit? Then she'll find someone else. Its capitalism. But with the added complication that the consumer cannot vote with their feet, as they do not have access to an open market, and the songwriters themselves don't have a marketable commodity as such. The labels are acting as a gatekeeper, stopping both the general pop-consuming public (i.e. not DIY metalheads on Bandcamp) from sourcing the songs direct from the songwriters, and also stopping the song writers having an alternative option of getting their songs out there without a relevant artist attached.

5. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

I believe I've heard that Beyonce is the absolute best (or maybe it's worst?) example of this, however her contracts etc work it's something like if you don't give her the credit she'll blacklist you from the industry.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This is unbelievable to me and shows an unreal amount of ego and entitlement on behalf of the artists. Cliff Richard for example never wrote a song in his life and now he's had a law passed to get performance royalties extended another 20 years, because that's preferable to working or contributing to modern music.

Elvis of course was the worst, the story of wanting to cover I Will Always Love You by Dolly Parton and wanting 50% of publishing. For a cover. I'm sure Dolly was delighted when Whitney covered it later and she didn't have to split with anybody.

Edika and Louis Cypher like this.
  7. Nicki

Nicki Twit

I agree that nothing will change. However, labels and marketing need to realize that if they don't make songwriting a profitable venture, then eventually, no one will want to be a songwriter. This will leave the pop stars with no songs to sing and labels with no revenue from huge artists coming in. It's a cycle. To be honest, we'd be far better off without songwriters in the shadows so that pop stars with next to no talent and ass-cheek implants aren't the ones in the spotlight. True musicianship could make a return...

But that's just wishful thinking.

8. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

The thing is, though, while there are performers who can't write songs, there are probably writers who can't perform who are fine composing for others. Hell, I could find that I have a knack for writing bro-country ballads about pickup trucks or dance club bangers, but nobody would want to see my fat ass up on the stage in either capacity. :lol:

c7spheres and JimF like this.
  9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Dolly: “It wasn’t Elvis, I loved Elvis. And I’m sure he was as disappointed as I was because he had it all worked up and ready to go. I know he loved the song.”

In case you want to get facts right: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-presley-i-will-always-love-you-b1763771.html

wannabguitarist and JimF like this.
  10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Thanks, I was taking about Elvis the brand and have already read that article.

11. JimF

JimF Contributor

I doubt there will ever be a shortage of people willing to write songs. Hell I'd put my name forward. It will just be people getting the raw end of the deal with little industry experience but a few hooks under their belt & catchy choruses in their minds.

12. Nicki

Nicki Twit

That's kind of my point. It's just my opinion and I'm sure many would disagree, but I would prefer to have artists in the spotlight who can write and perform their own material while entertaining a crowd. The rock and metal bands have been doing it for decades. Heck, even electro/house artists do it. Pop and Country seem to be the only genre where people find it acceptable that you don't need to write and perform your own songs to be successful.

BenSolace and Edika like this.
  13. ArtDecade

You read it, but wanted to misrepresent it. That's useful.

14. Nicki

Nicki Twit

That only perpetuates the problem of having artists in the spotlight who can't write a song to save their life. If all you want to do is make money by writing songs, then you may as well just write jingles. Same thing.

15. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Totally agree. People completely underestimate the impact machine learning will have on many aspects of our lives. Just look at how far translation apps have come or video editing.
    Or medicine.
    Or pharmacology.

16. ArtDecade

Rock and metal bands can write their own songs, but Desmond Child and Bob Rock also exist. There is no simple solution here. From time to time, bands need material and there are writers out there that will oblige. They may have started writing their own material, but they keep the train rolling once it becomes a business. I think songwriters need to be compensated, but there are also songwriters willing to forgo payment for the prestige of having their material recorded by mainstream acts. The power structure is wickedly skewed.

Nicki likes this.
  17. JimF

JimF Contributor

I follow a page on Facebook called "Art by AI" or something similar, and the developments in it's ability just in the past 12 months are mindbending. The software has gone from being very abstract to producing very high quality and convincing landscapes with a hand painted almost organic feel. I like that the pictures with people/figures in don't look quite right, they just look off... and it triggers the Uncanny Valley phenomenon in your mind.

Alex79 likes this.
  18. Nicki

Nicki Twit

Considering how wildly popular mumble rap is, all you need to do is write some repetitive melody and mumble whatever Talk to Transformer spits out. It's not going to make sense but no one will know what the hell you're saying anyways.

Alex79 likes this.
  19. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I found it shocking that an AI was able to find a new powerful antibiotic.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51586010

JimF likes this.
  20. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Personally I dont have an issue with any genre of music artist(s) who dont have the "talent" as a songwriter using professional songwriters to write their singles or albums music, TBF I dont give a monkeys about very talented songwriters using outside help (Aerosmith, Bon Jovi spring to mind) the part I really strongly feel about is the idea that an outside or a labels in house writer is being cut out of their due by big name artists and labels who what to take a bigger cut for work they havnt done. Won't happen in any other business model but the music industry has always been a terrible place to earn a living

Hollowway, StevenC and JimF like this.