History of seven-string solidbodies

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by voxhumana, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAW

MAW New Member

I was waiting until I had a 7 string or ERG to join all you fine folks, but since no one had mentioned this link, I thought I'd best make a small effort to help clear things up. I remembered seeing a 7 string in the historic pictures section of the Alembic site, and thought I'd double check for dates. This link should add another nail to the coffin of Mr Gregory's claims.

Alembic Club: ALEMBIC CUSTOM 7STRG #074

2. voxhumana

voxhumana Invented the guitar.

Yes, that is the sort of thing we have had to clean up. This stuff had been spread across any article to do with guitars, mandolins or classical composition. There has been a team of four of us who thoroughly checked all of these things. Our findings:

1 - There is no such title as "Maestro" and it was never bestowed by the Queen or the British government. On being challenged, Gregory (or his representative) produced a letter from a minor official at the British passport office which indicated his request to have the title "Maestro" added to his passport had been approved (possibly as the result of a legal name change).
    2 - He did not study classical composition at the University of Milan, as claimed in his Fender profile. This university does not have (and has never had) a music faculty.
    3 - He does not have any film/television credits for music listed on IMDb, so it is unlikely he "was employed by the BBC as a composer" as also claimed in his bio. (IMDb is extremely reliable in this regard)
    4 - Thanks to the good folks here, we have established he did not invent the seven-string guitar.
    5 - The claimed "Premier heavy metal mandolinist" cited a blog post where someone had written "Rock and roll is short on mandolinists. Gregory may be the first."
    6 - "50 fastest guitarists of all time" - he was not included in the list. His name was however mentioned in a postscript at the end of this Guitar World article under the heading "Where are they now?", in connection with the notorious cover art of his album that featured the "graves" of Vai and Malmsteen.

I admit I'm enjoying being able to relate all of this analysis here in this forum - in honestly this has been a tedious and unpleasant effort. I expect his article will be deleted and salted (this latter term means we can prevent the article from ever being recreated).

One positive sidenote, during our research we uncovered a man also named Alex Gregory who does not yet have a Wikipedia article. This gent has five prime-time Emmy nominations for screenwriting and was the head writer for Frasier and other TV shows. Now THAT's a *real* achievement.

3. TimSE

TimSE Contributor

:agreed:

4. Damo707

Damo707 Ibaninja

lol this dude is complete bullshit, maybe in his own strange way he gets a kick out of it. I havent heard any of his music as yet. can he play like Malmstein or Vai?

5. Cyanide_Anima

Cyanide_Anima BLOOOOM!

I dunno... He makes boring recreations of much better music...

Some of those bends... ouch. hehe.

6. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    [​IMG]

From the link: "ALEMBIC CUSTOM 7STRG #074 - [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]THIS WAS TAKEN IN 1981, DOVER HEIGHTS, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA. THE GTR IS NICKNAMED 'JEN' AFTER MY GIRLFRIEND AT THE TIME.[/FONT]"

"[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]This guitar is also featured in the Historic Pictures section on the Alembic web site. Great guitar."

It would be great to find out from Alembic the exact date of manufacture, and to get permission to put the photo on Wikipedia along with that date. *laugh*

[/FONT]
    Point 6 is a seriously funny nod to "Spinal Tap." I also like that you guys digitally salt the earth. *laugh*

I thanked your initial post, and can't add to your reputation, but for a one-issue member who isn't likely to be here, I love that you have risen in community esteem. Thanks for your service to the community!

And, for you lazy sods who haven't yet thanked that first post... well? *laugh*
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
    Oh, by the way... I forgot to mention "Pentasystem," the name which the Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory gave to the previously existing full-fifths tuning for five-course instruments. I figure a search engine would find this thread a little more easily if I mention the "Pentasystem" rebranding by name.

That's right... I said Pentasystem! *laugh*
    [/FONT]

7. voxhumana

Hmmm, interesting. Alembic date this picture as at November 1977.
    Alembic - Historic Pictures

I have emailed Alembic to see if they can provide further information.

8. voxhumana

I did a basic search about this but came up empty-handed. I can find numerous references to Roth and seven string guitars, and also to the "Mighty Wing". However I couldn't find anything which categorically showed that these instruments existed in the mid-80s or earlier. (My inability to find something means nothing of course).

If you (or anyone else) comes up with some reference material concerning these guitars, please send it my way. (Feel free to add it to my Wikipedia page as well - User talk:Manning Bartlett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

9. voxhumana

[/FONT]

See my above post concerning this very idea.

I was not aware of this feature on the forum until you mentioned it. I will not disclose my speculation about the identity of the solitary forum member that "disliked" my original post... :lol:

10. voxhumana

I'm a little bit doubtful about this, based on my previous work on articles concerning Zappa. However I will take it to alt.fan.frank-zappa, where the hardcore Zappa obsessives can be found. I've also sent an email to vai.com, although I don't expect a swift reply, assuming I get a reply at all.

11. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

No, not really. :lol:

12. voxhumana

Alembic Update:

I got an email back from Alembic (from the president of the company, no less).

=====================

Dear Manning,
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    Yes we made a 7 string guitar in 1977. It was custom made for Carol Kaye.
    Unfortunately we weren't as good at taking photos as making instruments.
    Here is a link to a photo of that guitar.
    http://www3.alembic.com/img/hist_7string.jpg

Some Specs on it:
    *Alembic Series I Guitar
    *Long scale 25.5 "
    *Fan Peghead with Vermilion front and Back veneers
    *Neck thru construction Maple 7 piece lamiante of 4 maple and 3 purpleheart neck laminates
    *Ebony 24 fret 2 octave fingerboard Abalone Alembic Ovals
    *Top and Back of Eastern Flame Maple
    *Mahogany core
    *Alembic solid brass handmade bridge, nut, tailpiece, brass backplates
    *Two large single coil Alembic Series I pieckups with center hum-cancelling pickup.
    *Alembic Series I electronics, 2 volume, two Low pass Alembic Tone/Filters, 2 'Q' Switches, Pickup selector
    switch-bridge-both-neck-standby
    * 5 pin stereo out or mono jack.
    *Sterling silver handcut Alembic Logo

If you have any questions please email me.

Kind Regards,
    Susan Wickersham
    President
    Alembic Inc

====================

So there you go - that's (possibly) the first ever 7 string solid body.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  13. Coffee Elf

Coffee Elf SS.org Regular

This just keeps getting better. I love this thread so much. :hug:

14. voxhumana

LOL - then you'll be pleased to know I just emailed Carol Kaye about this.

15. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

Wow 1977!

Fantastic work voxhumana - a real service to our community :)

Very much appreciated. :yesway:

16. Explorer

Well, here's a suggestion:

Although the normal users cannot see who posts reputation unless the person self-identifies, the moderators can.

The rules prevent harassment, and that includes attacking other members without reason.

So, if you sent a private message to a moderator (look at the Public Ban List for one, or, in the "Thanked by" list at the end of your initial post, Technomancer is one as well), you might suggest they take a look at that individual, and to see if that person registered purely to comment negatively about this thread... or, at least if they had only done that action up until I suggested it be looked at. That would probably get them banned, if only temporarily, and immortalized in the Public Ban List.

It would be funny if the Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory were to have logged on here only to troll. *laugh*

(Yes, I've decided to use the entire phrase "Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory" so that there is more for a search engine to grab onto, and to make it more likely this thread shows up in search engines therefore. *laugh* I'll be editing my previous posts with this in mind... *and* adding the term "Pentasystem" as well, so that his co-opting of the full-fifths tuning for five-course instruments will also show up in search engines. *laugh*)

Cheers!

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  17. voxhumana

I'm kinda busy, but feel free to investigate it yourself if you want.

To the moderators: I duly authorise Explorer to ask these questions about my account and I similarly authorise you to release said information to him/her.

18. Explorer

*laugh*

I don't think they'd do that, but if any of them are curious at this point, maybe they'd look into it themselves....

19. Cyanide_Anima

Cyanide_Anima BLOOOOM!

Yeah, that is very odd! I don't understand why someone would dislike Vox's post when all he was trying to do was help, Jeeez!

20. voxhumana

Well, I suspect there might be *one* specific person who doesn't really appreciate my efforts to ascertain the actual history of the seven-string guitar...

On that note - if anyone lives in Las Vegas and is attending the John Wackerman (featuring Allan Holdsworth) clinic on Sunday Apr 3, 2011 (for details see www.johnwackerman.com), could they ask Allan about his childhood memories of all that time he spent with Alex Gregory.

(No, I'm not making this up)
    Chapter 2: THE 1987/1988 FENDER 7 STRING STRATOCASTER MAESTR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.