High Quality 7-String Acoustics

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Zivtins, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Zivtins

Zivtins SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some 7-string electro acoustic options but I'm ideally looking for really good quality. I'm used the quality of my ESP NT-7 and E-II NT-7B so want the acoustic version of that!

Having had a look all I can find is the washburn WCG187CE and the Ibanez AEL207E but these are cheap at around £3-400 so I'm expecting to be disappointed with the quality of these.

Are there any quality 7-string options out there or am I going to have drop to a 6-string to get the quality I'm after?

Thanks for any help guys.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There's kind of a hole in the market as far as quality acoustic 7s go.

You either grab one of the cheaper options (Ibanez, Washburn, Agile, etc.) and fix it up, so usually a fret dress and an upgrade to the hardware and pickup/preamp, or you spend big money on a custom/semi-custom from a smaller builder.

If you're willing to drop about $2500, and don't mind something different, take a look at Emerald Guitars.

crossthestyx and Daf57 like this.
  3. Amroth

Amroth SS.org Regular

I might have the answer for you! My friend has tried a bunch of 7 and 8 string acoustic guitars, both steel and nylon, and his favourite is this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ac-encore-grand-concert-sa-7-string-cedar-top

crossthestyx likes this.
  4. Zivtins

Zivtins SS.org Regular

Wow just checked out emerald guitars and they're right up my alley! Carbon fiber too!

Now I've seen them I want a dual neck 14 and 7 haha not asking for much am I!

But cheers mate, think I might just end up getting one of those on their next month's series.

5. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

I can vouch for the Ibanez - very good quality at that price range, It's been my go to 7 string acoustic for several years now. The only upgrades have been tuners and bridge.
    The Emeralds look nice, too - whatever you get ... enjoy! :)

6. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I picked up an AEL207e recently. Pretty happy with it. Though I do want some upgrades for it.

I have it in drop A now with 9-64 gauge strings and it's too floppy so I'm going to try a set with around a .068-.070 for the 7th string but I'm afraid there will be too much string buzz with no way to adjust the action.

What bridge and tuners did you have put on yours? Would a taller bridge require a new nut? Thanks.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Attached Files:

7. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
  8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Do you have a preferred Taylor dealer near you? They can take orders for semi-custom guitars, and I've seen 2 7-strings at my local store (in the back, awaiting for pickup) that felt amazing (but I generally love Taylor, so I'm biased).

edit: Nevermind. I'm getting my wires crossed...they were 8-string (doubled-up B and G strings). The 7s were Washburns.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Those 8 strings are baritones and a ton of fun.

spudmunkey likes this.
  10. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

11. odibrom

odibrom .

I have one Ibanez AJ 307CE NT, wich was the first 7 string acoustics Ibanez made, way back in the end of the 90's, I bought it 2nd hand about 10 years ago. Last March, I went to pick her up for a bit of play and noticed that the action was impossible, I've done what was at hand to do and felt that it was out of my league so I took it to a local repair shop. THey took about 2 months to deliver it back, but it is now fantastic. The action before was impossible. Now it plays almost like my electrics.

It must be told that I tune to regular (high E4 to Low B1) and have been using .011 string gauge, which brings a lot of tension to the guitar top. These first guitars were made like regular 6 stringers, with an added 7th, which didn't account for that extra tension. So with the years the guitar formed a belly, a huge belly that raised the action to impossible play.

I was ready to let the shop remove the guitar's top and redo the bracings or reset the neck, a €500+ repair. However, I found a fellow user with a modification done to the bridge named "the bridge doctor", which allows to control to a certain level, the amount of the top's belly, leveling it down and thus, keeping the guitar's action at a manageable position. The shop installed this Bridge Doctor and also sanded down a bit the bridge for a better angle at the strings saddle/anchor/pins, as well as a general set up. Super fine work. The shop is called Guitar Rehab and is side by side with Ergon Guitars workshop. At the end the repair cost me about €150 for a "brand new" guitar (no top removal nor neck reset, yeyh!).

So, this to say that be careful with the amount of string tension/pull you put on an acoustic guitar, they hold to a certain point, then they bend their top and then they brake somewhere, and no one wants that.

Last but not least, these older Ibanez sound pretty damn good to my ears, light strings are a must IMO, at least for regular tuning, so use that as a reference.

12. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

The tuners were changed for cosmetic reasons - I didn't care for the Gold look. I put black Gotohs on - better tuners, too. The bridge and nut were swapped plastic for Tusq - both were done by local luthier. Not sure about the bridge height question - doesn't seem like a minute height change would require any nut work - check on that first tho. ;)

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Was the top lifting off the body or bowing out?

I have had an AJ307 since 1999 and it's been tuned standard all this time. I guess YMMV

odibrom likes this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The earlier AJ307s had slight different bracing, it seems Ibanez was worried about bridge/top lift. They changed the pattern slightly, placing the primary bracing about an inch closer to the bridge and adding an extra section between the center and rear strip.

This happened around 01' I think.

That said, these were earlier MIK offerings so there is a certain amount of variation in the quality of materials and build of the bracing. Add in the climate factor and it's pretty hard to predict which guitar will pot belly and which ones won't.

If you're worried, take it to a luthier before anything might happen. There are several options as far as reinforcement these days and it's all cheaper (relatively speaking) when done prior to a problem.

odibrom likes this.
  15. odibrom

odibrom .

The top was only bowing out, there was no detachment from the sides. However the bow was huge and made the guitar impossible to play. It was functional for slide stuff, but I don't play slide...

16. Blynd

Blynd Custom Guitar Part Builder

You can always go with Kiesel and get one of their Zeus 7's or 8's. They don't project sound as loud as a regular acoustic but sound amazing plugged in! Here's a pic of mine which is used for product photos on their site...

Attached Files:

stretcher7 likes this.
  17. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I didn't know about these. Nice!

stretcher7 likes this.
  18. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

19. crossthestyx

crossthestyx SS.org Regular

20. crossthestyx

crossthestyx SS.org Regular

To me: an 8 string guitar is a bass with a few guitar strings. Just my opinion, (I own one), so Don't Shit ur pants please! lol.. I'm sure some of you would verily disagree with that assessment. However, To me personally: once you put a string gauge heavier than a 62 for your low B, ur fucken playing a bass mutherfucker...

I TOTALLY RESPECT players that that can play the percussive stuff and wail out leads on that instrument as well! Which, in the long run, is a hybrid, but more bass guitar than a "standard" guitar.

I have not seen a 7 string acoustic that offers the properties you are looking for. However!, I can't imagine that instrument without a pickup, or a dreadnought/large fucking body. It will be interesting to see how manufactures respond your request and as well many other players looking for that djent acoustic. I'm thinking there is going to be some new innovation for what you seek. However, I think due to frequencies you're Frankenstein is gonna be a hybrid and mostly electric, that or the size of a fucking elephant. LOL ;) Good Luck! I'm getting a Cordoba 6 myself.. lol