High-end music gear in Germany/Europe

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Quitty, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

So we're moving to Berlin in early 2018.
    Bear in mind we currently live in the ass-end of the world, so even Thomann is exciting to me.

Normally, i'd take an internal flight to GuitarGuitar in Ghent, but that's closed now (damn Brexit), so what else is there to be really excited for?

How do you do high-end gear window-shopping in Europe?

2. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

Well, there are a few stores that you could try:

- https://www.musik-produktiv.de
    - https://www.thomann.de
    - https://www.bax-shop.nl (in the Netherlands)

They both have physical stores as far as I know. Real windowshipping is difficult, why would a store have (for instance) four different majestics, a few dozen engl and mesa amps, and a wall full of sevenstrings. Only to have them handled/fondled and having to sell them as "used" or "store demo model".

It's tough. I get my gear second-hand and travel the country for that. Small country though.

3. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

JustMusic in Berlin was always my go-to guitar window shopping place. They have (or at least used to have) a showroom with really fancy stuff. Haven't been there in years so it may have changed, but since it's gonna be nearby it's still worth a visit.

AliceLG likes this.
  4. CLONE

CLONE SS.org Regular

Europe - Berlin, Germany et Stockholm, Sweden
    +1 for JustMusic. At least i haven't found anything better in Berlin

5. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

AliceLG likes this.
  6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

That's indeed the biggest selection you'll find around there although it's nothing to write home about. Berlin just isn't the place to go shopping for nice guitars...

7. Bite the Strings

Bite the Strings SS.org Regular

Big Stores in Germany:
    Thomann in Burgerbach (southern germany)
    Musik-Produktiv in Ibbenbühren by Osnabrück. ~4 Hours from Berlin
    Session in Frankfurt
    Musicstore in Köln/cologne
    Bax in the netherlands is also pretty close by but ive had terrible experiences with their service so i would not recommend them.

Those are the first ones that come to mind and all of them have lots of high end instruments in stock.
    You will find small shops in pretty much every bigger city with most of them having at least a few higher end instruments but the ones above are a safe call if youre willing to drive a few hours.

Smaller ones:
    www.public-peace.de which is the website of maruszczyk instruments and some other higher end (semi-)custom builders with a shop between Köln/cologne and Aachen
    www.musik-oevermann.de They tend to have more unusual instruments (they claim to only stock what they think is actually good, not just the popular stuff) and its in Minden (between Osnabrück and Hannover) so if youre driving from Berlin to Musik-Produktiv youll come by there anyway.
    Amptown Hamburg was(?) also a bigger shop not that far away from Berlin but i cant find their website anymore so they might be gone.
    www.ppcmusic.de in Hannover. Ones again, if youre going to Musik-Produktiv youll come by this one.

if youre willing to travel eastwards, theres a big czech(!?) online store called muziker which has shops in many cities not far off the eastern german border. They do have a german online-store(muziker.de) so you can look into them as well.

I probably forgot a lot of mid-sized shops especially in southern germany but maybe somebody else can help you with that

8. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

I regularly visit both JustMusic in Berlin and Hamburg, and Session in Frankfurt when I wanna try something fancy :D