High dollar well received amps that disappointed

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sevenfoxes, Aug 2, 2019.

1. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

"Oh my little protest was always such a good eater.... " :lol:

protest likes this.
  2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Kids who dont have bills bought it? Haha.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I had a Torpedo Live so I had the ability to crank it to the sweet spot. I just wasn't a fan of the voicing. A lot of the classic Recto sounds I dig are mostly from the early run of 1991 - 1996 Rectos, and IIRC the 2000 - 2009 3-channel Rectos sound nothing like those.

EDIT: I actually briefly owned a Single Recto I got in a trade. I sold it because I needed the money, but I liked it more than the Triple Recto.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    sevenfoxes likes this.
  4. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

I personally consider around 2k and up to be high dollar.

5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Engl Powerball 100 and Invader 100 both underwhelmed me. I will admit that the seemingly cheap ass construction made me really critical. They both moved pretty quickly to guys that thoroughly seemed to enjoy them so I was happy about that.

The most disappointing boutique amp was definitely the Fuchs Mantis for me. It was flubby, slightly boxy, and the bass was so damn loose. It was very underwhelming. It was handwired so there was no psychological snobbery working against it either :lol: I’m sure a lot of my issues would’ve been solved with an EQ and boost; but I could get that tone from my Archon without pedals.

wakjob and sevenfoxes like this.
  6. protest

protest SS.org Regular

What's sad about this is that 1)it's true and 2) my mom has basically said this verbatim to people

Beheroth and The906 like this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Here? More than a used 5150.

SamSam, Andromalia, Vyn and 10 others like this.
  8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

USD? CAD? £?

XPT707FX likes this.
  9. sevenfoxes

USD

10. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

That basically means anything that isn't a used 5150...

My biggest disappointments have been the Marshall JVM, every Engl I've played with the exception of the Preamps, every Diezel I've played (Herbert and VH4), and Mesa JP2C (REALLY honky mids). VHT Pitbulls sound really good, but aren't useful to me.

11. protest

protest SS.org Regular

The one that matters canuck ;)

[​IMG]

12. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Right, so I'll use the rough equivalent in EUR, which is 1800. Factual stuff first:
    - Old Mesas. I LOVE the tones to death, and my MkII is just a lovely amp, as are all Marks really. I had a horrible road record with them in the days of Furman as the power conditioning kings. They still gave me frequent issues on the road, with one gig in the middle of Poland resulting in both the main Dual Rec and its spare deciding that it would be great to blow fuses, their replacements, and die on me. I'll never forgive the company for forcing me to do that gig with a bloody Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb. My hatred for that amp is eternal. It was also amazing to try to buy fuses when you can't even say "electronics shop" in Polish.

Mk III decided that it shouldn't really stop at blowing the fuse when it could offer people a free pyrotechnics show and that was the end of the line for me gigging them for years. I have heard nothing pertaining similar issues (typically tied to the old output transformers) regarding newer amps (read: for decades now), so fear not.

Subjective stuff:
    I'm really a try-before-you-buy guy so there's that saving me from splurging a ton of cash into stuff I won't dig, so this is based on several experiences, from giving amps a good once over live or testing them in favourable conditions.
    - Riveras. Nope. Just nope. I can't jive with them for the life of me.
    - Bogner Uberschall - it's a solid amp. It was just worse for what I envision for metal tones than any modern take of the Ecstacy, and I was really quite disappointed in that one and how hard it was to keep its flatulence in check. Definitely not my cup of tea.
    - VHT Pitbull - another of those amps that was going super hard back in the pre-Fryette days. Their rep preceded them, people saw them as unobtnanium in these parts. Those things were the pinacle of US sound, with power and refinement beyond the comprehension of mere mortals. As my musical adventures progressed, I finally ended face to face with the unicorn. Upon connecting my guitar to its fabled horn, I expected to fart angel dust upon striking the first chord. Many chords later, with a lot of meedly meedlies thrown in, my farts were as mudane as ever. It was a fortunate coincidence, as I didn't find the amp to be some sort of glorious thing I needed to have, so... meh.
    - ENGL SE - bla bla, 12039120391 features, supposed to eat the old 120 alive, bla bla bla. Plugged in, tweaked the thing, ended up sounding absolutely glorious. None of the new features were on when I finished my experiments and I stuck with the Savage 120 I used for years on end. :lol:

13. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I personally draw the baseline at USD2k. For most Americans, a living monthly wage. Gear that would require a lot of effort for most of us to get the coin to obtain.

MistaSnowman, sevenfoxes and The906 like this.
  14. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Any Marshall that isn't a JCM 800

BenjaminW likes this.
  15. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Unlike pedals, most high dollar amps I’ve tried delivered (Quickrod, Satan, Dual Recto, EVH, Dual Dark). Only the Uberschall was a little disappointing. It sounded good but, a little under par compared to a Dual Rec or 6505.

Who knows though, i only tried it in store.

16. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I really struggled with a non-multiwatt Triple also. It was soooo close to sounding good, but I could never figure out just how to turn the dials or flip the switches to get it right. Just a bit too bright and fizzy yet not really tight and too boomy. The multiwatt and the 2-channel are nearly idiot proof. I swear I could turn the knobs blind folded and would probably be OK with the tone as long as there's an OD808 out front.

sevenfoxes likes this.
  17. MFB

MFB ExBendable

*laughs in DSL2000*

18. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Twin jet, and almost liked my dual recto but nah. I kept my 6505

sevenfoxes, Bearitone and Necky379 like this.
  19. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Sadly, the most expensive amp I've ever bought was a Randall T2 and I loved it. lol...
    On the other hand, the most expensive PEDALS that I bought that just didn't quite jibe with would have to be the Mesa V-Twin that ( for me) just didn't have enough gain to it. The other is the Bogner Ecstacy Red which isn't absolutely horrible but it's not even in the top 10 of drive pedals I've owned.

sevenfoxes likes this.
  20. sevenfoxes

You didn't like the recto, eh?