High C users

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by distressed_romeo, Oct 22, 2006.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Alright, a bass section!!!

Any other five-string users here use a high C string rather than a low B? I used to have a low B on my Peavey, but I've found the high C is much better for the kind of chordal and tapping things I like on bass. You get some great harmonics out of it too!

Anyone else?

2. This Dying Soul

This Dying Soul Well-Known Member

Ive heard of this but havent done it myself. What kind of music do you play? Playing in a band with a 7 string guitarist playing progressive metal i cant live without my B string.

3. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I dont have a 5 string anymore, or else this is how i would do it.. Steve DiGiorgio for the win \m/

4. distressed_romeo

I mostly play my own stuff (which I just call prog metal because it's easy, but incorporates a lot of fusion, extreme metal and modern classical/new-age). I only really play bass on my own recordings. It actually works well in conjuncture with a seven string guitar, as playing the B on the 2nd fret of the A string when the guitar hits its low B really tightens up the overall sound, and it gives you more ways of using double-stops and chords to thicken up the sound.
    I do sometimes miss the Low B though, but when I want it, I just drop the bottom string down...

Yeah, he and Wally Voss were my two inspirations for trying it!:metal:

5. This Dying Soul

I 100% agree. Playing with Andrew in Event Horizon has taught me that when youre playing with a 7 string guitarist you dont need to be in the low register all the time. In fact it opens room up for the bass to have more freedom on the neck for the more progressive elements.

6. distressed_romeo

Exactly. It stops the low end from just turning into a rumble.

Yet another reason seven strings rock!:metal:

7. This Dying Soul

Precisely. Especially if youre playing with a 7 player who uses the entire guitar. The broader your 7 string player's horizons are the more versatility you'll be able to employ.

8. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Yeah well not having a low B string at all when being in a band with a 7-string guitarist is silly too though. A 6-string bass makes a lot more sense. There are sometimes its appropriate to play the low B string along with the guitarist. I agree that you dont need to be riding the low bass notes all the time though.

9. This Dying Soul

Yeah, same with the guitarist. If youre with a 7 stringer who just chugs the B string all the time, he might as well just be playing bass too.