Hidden Gem Albums / Underrated Albums

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Alex79, Dec 16, 2019.

1. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Gotta say I've been listening to Organ/Virus/VBE all day and it rules ass and it has me wondering why crunch channel math rock with blast beats isn't more of A Thing

Eptaceros and vilk like this.
  2. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Some of the best FL Death/Thrash you will hear, up there with Solstice. Love this album and has been an all time favorite since the 90's. Listen to all of it but 10:50 is a great place to start.

[video][/video]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Splenetic likes this.
  3. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Malignant Altar - RETRIBUTION OF JEALOUS GODS

4. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Bad ass. Shame about the name though :lol:

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  5. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Maybe this isn't the right play for it as this is a djent/chug forum these days but I feel like people are missing out on how good Shawn Lane and Jonas Hellborg were as a combo. Their incredible composed parts interspersed with the most amazing improvisation and melodic sensibilities quite unlike anyone else out there.

It's a shame that Shawn died so young. He was apparently coming up to being finished with his Indian / world music phase. Perhaps an expansion of his Powers of Ten or The Tri-Tone Fascination style? Who knows. His death had a terrible impact on Hellborg too, who released a good album with Kali's Son and then Art Metal which had few good ideas, followed by the poor Jazz Raga. Given the duo's prolific output in the 8 or 9 years they were together, Hellborg seems to have virtually retired in the nigh twenty years since Shawn died.

This track is from a Michael Shrieve album. Ignore the fact he played with Santana, he's a pretty good player. The first half of this album was written by Shawn and Jonas, the second half doesn't feature them and it's bad. It's like a totally different album and not fit to share a disc with the godlike first half. This track also appeared as "Time is the Enemy" by Jonas and Shawn on an album of the same name, albeit with the tempo increased and longer improv sections. I actually think this slower version is better.

These guys just had a level of interplay, chemistry and sophistication which I've found nowhere else.

brector likes this.
  6. brector

brector SS.org Regular

My fav of theirs is Temporal Analogues of Paradise

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  7. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Indeed, Shawn's solo from around the 15 to 19 minute mark of act I of TAOP is perhaps the most transcendent piece of music I've ever heard. We'll never see the likes of him again. Truly and irreplaceable loss.

isispelican and brector like this.
  8. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

9. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

That was a seriously excellent EP .....aside from the ridiculously dumb band name.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  10. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

One of my favourite albums... Mindfield by the band Face Down. I've never met anyone or talked to anyone online who's ever even heard of them.

First track...

11. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

The mention of Rise to Remain-City of Vultures in the original post is definitely a hidden gem. I have listened to that album so many times over the years and I love it everytime. Such great performances on that album. Maybe Teratogenesis by Revocation needs a mention. I feel like that one doesn't get as much recognition since its a 4 song EP they did between albums. Definitely their least played material live. The Grip Tightens music video is hysterical.

USMarine75 and Alex79 like this.
  12. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Teratogenesis is the best thing Revocation has ever released.

Sdrizis89 likes this.