Hidden Gem Albums / Underrated Albums

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Alex79, Dec 16, 2019.

1. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

:wumpscut: - Embryodead FFO NIN, but not pussy shit

Disarmonia Mundi - Fragments of D-Generation, The best album that Speed Strid has sang on since Predators Portrait

Greyhaven - Empty Black, one of my favorite albums of 2018, a lot of people compare them to Everytime I Die, but I've never really listened to them so idk

Orbs - Asleep Next to Science, Prog Metal Masterpiece of an album, Holy Fuck

USMarine75 likes this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Ah dammit I missed Disarmonia Mundi when I posted.

They're good whether it's Claudio or Bjorn singing.

If they were tapes I would have worn them out by now.

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Also... surprised there weren't more fans of Andy James' old band, Sacred Mother Tongue:

The rhythms are killer, the solos are always great, and I quite like the singing (usually the main complaint) and melodies.

^in case you forgot how ridiculously good Ragnar is

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Krauthammer and aesthyrian like this.
  4. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

5. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

I might be pushing the limit on the idea of this thread especially as John Sykes always get so much love on this site but the two Blue Murder albums should have been commercially HUGE rock albums, I love Whitesnakes Slip of the Tongue but those Blue Murder albums were the best albums Whitesnake never made imo

manu80 likes this.
  6. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

It's OK. I wouldn't really call underrated though, kinda mediocre and plodding as most of the later 80s and 90s Exodus until "Tempo".

To me "Tempo..." was a fantastic achievement and one of my favorite albums then they kinda slowly wrote themselves into obscurity with each next album being less interesting than the previous one. You're right, Zetro is actually in much better form and tries to sing on this one, kinda pitchy and out of key here and there and more of a heavy metal album but not bad. I remember everyone hating the artwork when it came out and barely anyone bought the tshirts for this one :)

7. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Really dug this and it is usually in a genre that in don't like :)

@isispelican

Ved Buens Ende - very cool! Keep it coming guys, picking up some cool new bands that I didn't know existed.

Maybe this one is not as obscure, but I feel it needs to be mentioned:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  8. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Didn't read the whole thread but the Allegaeon (pardon my spelling) album Apoptosis is fuckin killer. It sounds better than the previous album by at least 100%. Better guitar tone overall, better production, better everything.

Yet I've heard no one talk about it (except maybe here a little)

Bdtunn likes this.
  9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

If you like Ved Buens Ende

at least, that's the closest thing I can think of, though obviously a bit more fast and instrumental

BIG ND SWEATY and Eptaceros like this.
  10. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

thank you so much ! never listened to it and that was a big mistake from me !!!!!!!

Louis Cypher likes this.
  11. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

You win the thread for mentioning Organ:, my buddy introduced me just earlier this year. I'm more partial to the self-titled EP:

I believe at least one of the guys from Organ: is in V.E.G.A., which is another absolute underrated gem:

Also occurred to me that most here probably aren't familiar with Virus, which is basically mandatory daily listening for me:

annnnnd another one since we're on the topic of obscure, forward-thinking black metal and it's contemporaries:

vilk and BIG ND SWEATY like this.
  12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

That's great! I never knew they made anything other than Apoplexy In Six Parts. I've been listening to it since they were on my high school bands Myspace Top 8 :lol:

I was going to post Virus but I didn't know if it counts as a "hidden gem" considering they have plenty of material and it's all really really great.

Oh no... I just read that they broke up in 2018... hopefully Carl still makes some more music.

13. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

He actually ended Virus and resurrected Ved Buens Ende on the same day so we should be getting new VBE sometime.

vilk likes this.
  14. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

I'm not so sure they'll be writing new music under the VBE moniker, they resurrected the band to play some festivals in Europe. I imagine they got some nice offers. I'm honestly really surprised it was resurrected at all, Carl is not all that proud of Written In Waters, aside from "I Sang For The Swans". That song is incredible, but I agree with Carl that the rest of the album isn't all that great. I have respect for the album, especially those guys being so young and putting something out that is completely outside of the constraints of metal for that time. Either way, I also hope that Carl is not done writing new music, the man is a prophet of cosmic sounds.

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Blasphemy! Every track is good, but especially the last three! The final three tracks for me are the best part of the whole album. Even the outro is so hauntingly spooky

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  16. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

Not a hidden gem if you're familiar with noise rock, but I used to listen to this album a lot when I was feeling emo. It's super low-fi and depressing!

Another Japanese band, anyone who's a Darkthrone fan might know these guys cause Fenriz gave them a shout out one time in some old blog. IMO this album kind of sucks, but there are two ballads, Landscape of Life and Silently Falling, which are very beautiful songs and much better then the metal stuff on here.

17. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

When it comes to solo Sabbath members stuff, aside from obviously Ozzy, everybody always goes on about Geezers and Iommi's albums....but this complete and utter CLASSIC fucking masterpiece is always overlooked, and to me it overshadows both Geezers and Iommi's solo albums:

I seriously love this damn album front to back.

Alex79 likes this.
  18. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Oh yeah, while not directly related to VBE and Virus and stuff they reminded me of Weinstein and McMaster of Krallice's old band Astomatous

It's weird and avant too but it's BRUTAL AND RIFFY

19. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

SO many hidden gems come to mind, but I'll just post a few that immediately stick out:

Dies Irae - Sculpture of Stone

If you love Polish Death Metal, then you'll love this album. FFO: Decapitated, Vader, Behemoth.

Replacire - Do Not Deviate

Catchy, groovy, modern technical death metal. FFO: Rivers of Nihil, Black Crown Initiate etc.

Severed Savior - Serville Insurrection

Not sure how underground it is, but it's an epic, underrated album from a great era in tech death. FFO: Necrophagist, Deeds of Flesh, Suffocation.

Trepalium - XIII

Super catchy and funky French death metal - a little offbeat and weird, but I dig it. FFO: Gorod

Plenty more, just a couple off the top of my head.

works0fheart and gunch like this.
  20. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Crazy! I have had this album forever but I never even realized it was the dude from Krallice but now it makes so much sense.