Oceandrinksboat

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
okay, I've decided I want to get a rack to kind of clean up my rig, and motivate me to get a rack-mount multieffect ie: eleven rack, Pod HD Pro, etc.

but since i'm putting my self through school my budget is tight, so I want to know what are some Rack-Essentials that are good, yet affordable.

I've been told to get a solid state power, Crown has been recommended.
but what do you guys think?

JoshuaKaroshi

Karoshi
Reaction score
A nice rack tuner can be a really good addition, but not essential if you run a pedal tuner or want to rely on the built in tuner in a pod/elevenrack/fractal. I've been looking at the Korg Pitchblack Pro. They're around $100 and I've used their rack tuners in the past. I like them a lot.

Another standard is a power conditioner. Furman and Carvin make pretty nice ones and they wont take a huge chunk out of your budget.

If you want to get snazzy, Line 6 makes pretty sweet wireless rack units, but they're expensive. I don't think getting a wireless should be high on your priority list though!

For a poweramp section, like you said Crown makes good products. Seems like lots of people use them. Take a look at Carvin's poweramps. I believe they have a small 100w 1u rack poweramp (solid state) that would work well with a multieffects.

If "cleaning up" your rig is important, you could look into a rack drawer for misc. cords, picks, pedals etc...

Lastly, I see a lot of home musicians that have a rackmount interface in their rig for recording. This is totally optional and dependent on whatever you do with your guitar playing. I guess that goes for any of the things I talked about :) Hope this helps a bit!

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
If you end up with a rack Pod, i wouldn't bother with a separate tuner. I find the HD Pro built-in tuner is plenty good for gigging. Since budget is an issue, no need for redundancy there. Plus it's a space saver too!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Rack-Essentials

Personal opinion? Having a rack setup makes it easy to bloat your rig with extra random junk you don't really need. I personally don't think a tuner should be in a rack box. I'm not saying don't use a rack- just considering keeping said rack simple and lightweight.

Omura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Non-rack rig is: amp, tuner, cab. So the simplest you could go on a budget is a pod hd pro, or 11 rack and a 1u poweramp, a ower conditioner could be a good idea too, but that's all is bother with

Captain Butterscotch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Pod Pro tuner is really okay, but I didn't find it stable enough for me and I'd say it certainly won't do for a bass guitar or a really really low tuned guitarist. The Pitch Black Pro is a great unit. I love the strobe settings on it.

My current rack setup is a power conditioner, POD Pro, and a Pitch Black Pro. Here's a pic.

SandyRavage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For the love of god stay away from the pitchblack pro. That thing is literally the most inaccurate tuner I've ever used and is nothing but a light show for your rack.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
If budget is a concern I'd say stay away from any "power conditioners" you might be tempted to buy. All of the lower priced rack versions are basically just real expensive surge protectors. Just buy a GOOD plugstrip version and put it in the back of the rack case for transport. You'd have just about the same protection for $30-40 instead of $100+
You gotta spend some pretty serious cash before you start getting true power conditioner units.
Eleven Rack & 1 space solid state power amp for the win. Amp models sound better than Line 6 and the converters are pretty awesome making it a kick ass interface for recording. If you already have recording software you like you can get a new 11R with the expansion pack but minus the Pro Tools for around $325 or about $700 with the FULL version of Pro Tools 11.
I'm thinking about buying a second unit so I can leave one racked in my desk permanently for recording purposes.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Save up and buy a tube power section. Makes a huge difference to your enjoyment. I was rocking a Kemper with a velocity 300 and I am way happer with the sounds coming out of my hd500 and Mesa 50/50. The difference is only around $200 if yiure playin the used market. Other than that, you really need nothing beyond the preamp unit. Statements above regarding the usefulness of the HD tuners and uselessness of low end power conditioners are good advice.