Hetfield: Trujillo > Newsted

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by stuz719, Aug 6, 2008.

1. swedenuck

swedenuck Strictly Business

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here, but does anyone else feel that Hetfield and Ulrich have only been truly at the writing helm for half of AJFA and everything after that? I may be cruely missinformed but according to Dave Mustaine (not a credible source by any means) a lot of the material on Puppets and RTL were actually based around his riffs. That in addition to the melodic input of Cliff Burton into MOP and RTL, how much of those albums can truly be credited to Hetfield and Ulrich?

2. jrf8

jrf8 Banned

everyone's entitled to the opnion, i just think that in the 80's kirk fused alot of what he learned from sstriani into his solos.

and for the record, i think i like 1 megadeth song:lol: and i dont do drugs or drink and im 31:lol:

all that matters is, when cliff passed away metallica died.

3. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

Of course, Dave will also tell you that he designed the Jackson KV, too. The man has a stunning amount of belief in himself. :lol:

In the early days, I'm sure Metallica was more of a fully collaborative effort. I suspect both Dave and Cliff both added a lot of 'quirkiness' to the writing, for lack of a better term. James seems a much more straight-ahead writer on his own.

4. FYP666

FYP666 Kick The Gates Open

I saw Metallica live a year ago. And they were awwwww :wub: some! :yesway:

They didn't play any songs off the St. Anger, even though i think it's pretty damn groovy album, which i actually like! :nuts:

Anyways, Trujillo's stage presence and skill of playing were unbelievable. Really. I've never seen anything like that besides Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse, or Cliff R.I.P... :hbang:

5. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

So, you're saying that, even though Dave was only in the band for about a year and didn't record on any Metallica albums, the first 4 Metallica albums were all songs he had written? :lol:

From what I've read, a lot of the songs on Kill 'Em All were written as collaborative efforts between Hetfield and Mustaine (guitar-wise. Ulrich contributed a lot to the lyrics and structure). That's why Mustaine is included in the credits for most of the songs on Kill 'Em All. On Ride The Lightning, I think there is only 1 song (maybe 2) that Mustaine has any partial writing credit for (I think it says "Music: Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine"). And those were songs that had been partially written in some form back when Dave was in the band. By Master of Puppets, all of those songs were completely removed from anything Mustaine had been involved in. And ...And Justice For All had nothing even remotely Dave-influenced in it. So we've got 1 album that has Dave's influence pretty heavily in (Kill 'Em All) and that's it.

I like old Megadeth (80's Megadeth and early 90's Megadeth) and I like Dave as a guitarist and songwriter, but Dave has a tendency to overstate all of his achievements.

6. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

Dave contends that a whole bunch of the songs up through Master of Puppets had songwriting ideas that he had contributed while in the band, but he wasn't given proper credit. On the other hand, Dave contends the entire world revolves around him, so make of that what you will.

7. TonalArchitect

TonalArchitect Augmented Chords!

8. jrf8

jrf8 Banned

the last time i saw them was when i was 13 and it was the AJFA tour and they were fucking great! i would actually love to see them again sometime seeing that there setlists have been awesome lately

9. noodles

noodles Contributor

You can actually listen to KEA and tell what Dave wrote. Four Horseman is the best example: the hammer on riffing is Dave, and when it switches to the chunky groove in the bridge, that is James. Notice that the bridge does NOT appear in The Mechanix.

Much has been said already about Dave and Cliff working together on songwriting, and it is best demonstrated by Call of the Kthulu, which is basically their song. Dave actually reused the chords in the intro (which are arpeggiated) in Hanger 18 (where they are strummed).

Puppets? Come on, Dave, anyone can hear that you had nothing to do with those tunes. They sound completely different from anything Mustaine has every written.

10. The-Zeronaut

The-Zeronaut SS.org Regular

LMAO
    HAhahAHhaHAhahAHahAHHAHAHAHahHAhahAHahAHha:lol:

11. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

BEST POST EVER :rofl:

12. killiansguitar

killiansguitar Banned

"Trujillo > Newsted"

Quoted for truth.