Hermansson Amps Megathread

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Hermansson is making some awesome stuff and I think they need their own thread.

:minions:

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Fredrik Thordendal and Jocke Skog amps he did sounded amazing and insane.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently had a chance to see inside their modded Mesa Dual Rec and Marshall 2203. Anyone that owns a Soldano can tell you having a ginormous tranny is the first key to monstrous tone. Apparently Hermansson uses custom-wound transformers:

104065873_181964103255851_1204943302814232334_n.jpg 104058017_254110625842811_5126680779993564667_n.jpg
103534793_266595151246274_5199066448667790785_n.jpg 103932224_3964642286941463_5978176621746334878_n.jpg 103965122_3517959211565088_4675673374899344316_n.jpg 103975627_351175329186310_4635694303791514311_n.jpg 103995182_3067979056613444_6082178869562822717_n.jpg 104004864_705370566961904_7126200540964263934_n.jpg 104009463_264128028195966_7424082355941888641_n.jpg 104015047_288173762561557_432099570864106127_n.jpg

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently had a chance to see inside their modded Mesa Dual Rec and Marshall 2203. Anyone that owns a Soldano can tell you having a ginormous tranny is the first key to monstrous tone. Apparently Hermansson uses custom-wound transformers:

View attachment 81825 View attachment 81824
View attachment 81816 View attachment 81817 View attachment 81818 View attachment 81819 View attachment 81820 View attachment 81821 View attachment 81822 View attachment 81823

Every amp i've liked the chugs on have had enormous and/or custom transformers. Those Hermansson ones look like part of a doomsday machine :lol:

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Every amp i've liked the chugs on have had enormous and/or custom transformers. Those Hermansson ones look like part of a doomsday machine :lol:

Right? It looks like a Matrix situation where they...
secretly have a mini-head plugged in as the transformer.
:lol:

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Transformer looks like a Partridge clone, which wouldn't be a surprise since that is the iron in most of the old PAs he modifies.

Is it similar to the 70s transformers everyone talks about?

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
His version of amps are legitimately the best representations of the respective amps. I’m trying to find someone local to take on trying to emulate his Dual Rec mods. Absolutely incredible.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That Jocke Skog amp has 5 gain stages and the pre-amp is completely new, not modified from the original amp. In his words "it is a totally different preamp circuit. The whole preamp was removed to make room for the new circuit."

I'd love another one of those Jocke Skog builds. I still think i've just got enough amps at the moment though :(

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
That Jocke Skog amp has 5 gain stages and the pre-amp is completely new, not modified from the original amp. In his words "it is a totally different preamp circuit. The whole preamp was removed to make room for the new circuit."

I'd love another one of those Jocke Skog builds. I still think i've just got enough amps at the moment though :(

Last I spoke with them, they are going to release their own lineup of amps, including a flagship 4-channel and some 1-channel amps of varying gain. They'll have those monstrous transformers in them.

Here’s some info I gathered regarding the flagship model:

4 channels
Each of the four channels will have the following controls:
  • Gain
  • Treble
  • Middle
  • Bass
  • Volume
  • Three-way mid-boost switch:
    • Up: high mid boost
    • Middle: normal
    • Down: low mid boost
  • Three-way bright switch:
    • Up: bright
    • Down: dark
There will be a MIDI-switchable tube driven compressor/gain boost which can be activated regardless of channel. It is tracking the input signal and isn’t affected by the gain controls or volumes of the different channels. So you can get a nice compression with super fast attack and release time even at low gain or clean sounds as well as high gain lead sounds.

Channel 3 and 4 will have a Tightness control, which can be set to three different modes using a switch, middle position is tightness; the preshape control works as an adjustable high pass filter (increased bass at low settings and tight bass at high settings). Flick the switch up and the preshape control becomes a loudness control (increased bass and treble at low settings and tight bass and cut treble on high settings). And in the down position, it becomes a tilt-filter; increased bass and cut treble on low settings, tight bass and increased treble at high settings.

Channel 1 and 2 will have a control which sets up how much boost the compressor will produce along with an extra three-way bright-switch which only will be active when the Compressor is activated.

There is a MIDI-command for preamp mute which will turn off all four channels.

The power amp section will have the following functions:
  • A MIDI-switchable volume boost.
  • Dual MIDI-switchable presence- and punch-controls, both with their own three-way switch for three different frequency-ranges for both presence and punch.
  • MIDI-switchable tube buffered effects loop.
The back panel will have bias potentiometers , test point jack, fuse and fail-LED for each power tube.

All will be built point to point on turret boards (except for the MIDI which is built on PCB).

[* Subject to change or any misinterpretations by me since I don't work for them lol.]

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
Last I spoke with them, they are going to release their own lineup of amps, including a flagship 4-channel and some 1-channel amps of varying gain. They'll have those monstrous transformers in them.

4 channels
  • Gain
  • Treble
  • Middle
  • Bass
  • Volume
There will be a MIDI-switchable tube driven compressor/gain boost which can be activated regardless of channel. It is tracking the input signal and isn’t affected by the gain controls or volumes of the different channels. So you can get a nice compression with super fast attack and release time even at low gain or clean sounds as well as high gain lead sounds.

Channel 3 and 4 will have a Tightness control, which can be set to three different modes using a switch, middle position is tightness; the preshape control works as an adjustable high pass filter (increased bass at low settings and tight bass at high settings). Flick the switch up and the preshape control becomes a loudness control (increased bass and treble at low settings and tight bass and cut treble on high settings). And in the down position, it becomes a tilt-filter; increased bass and cut treble on low settings, tight bass and increased treble at high settings.

Channel 1 and 2 will have a control which sets up how much boost the compressor will produce along with an extra three-way bright-switch which only will be active when the Compressor is activated.

• Dual MIDI-switchable presence- and punch-controls, both with their own three-way switch for three different frequency-ranges for both presence and punch.
The back panel will have bias potentiometers , test point jack, fuse and fail-LED for each power tube.

All will be built point to point on turret boards (except for the MIDI which is built on PCB).

[* Subject to change or any misinterpretations by me since I don't work for them lol.]
did he give a ballpark price range?

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

4 channels
  • Gain
  • Treble
  • Middle
  • Bass
  • Volume

Those features are actually perfect for everything i'd want to control on an amp. Sounds amazing, but yeh also really expensive. Will see if my GAS has returned at all when they start making them. I've barely had a hint of it for a year.

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This guy is amazing with what he does...cant beat a modded Marshall !

Mike