Help with prs mm baritone pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by CVK85, Aug 7, 2015.

1. CVK85

CVK85 SS.org Regular

Hello. I'm a long time lurker of sso, but only just registered because I just ordered my first baritone. My band has been covering some deftones /chevelle songs from drop a to drop c. My gibsons can handle drop c, but anything lower and I have trouble, without getting bridge cables for strings.

So... I have a love for bareknuckle pickups. Have them in all my guitars. What is a good pup for a baritone guitar? I was thinking aftermath or juggernaught. Anyone tried these? I'm playing through an EVH 5150iii. Ot has plenty of gain on tap, so I don't need super high output pups.

Also, do I need 53mm spacing for the prs se ? Or 50mm? I'll also consider other brand pickups. What have you guys had luck with for baritone guitar pups? Thanks.

Rap Hat likes this.
  2. Rap Hat

Rap Hat the:pawn.project

I have a Dimarzio DSonic with the bar facing the neck on my PRS MM, and it sounds amazing! Pretty tight, but with enough flexibility that I'm not limited to only modern metal. It's not too too hot either, seems less so than the DA8s in my Intrepid 828. The songs on my Soundcloud "Pervert", "Cataclysm" and "Furnace" are all using it (through an AxeFX), if you want to hear how it sounds.

I went with the F spaced one, I'm pretty sure that's what size you'll need for the PRS.

3. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Got a Warpig in my RGIB6....tight and clear and really dig it. It's what's in the clip in my sig.

4. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

I used a Painkiller in my Mushok for a while with a 5150III and it was extremely aggressive. Now I use a SD Custom Custom with a Splawn head and its a bit fuller sounding.

5. facepalm66

facepalm66 The Master of Joints

The DA's sound like no other and definitely are a good option.

6. CVK85

CVK85 SS.org Regular

Sounds good. What do you use to record? That may have convinced me to try the dizmario

7. Rap Hat

I run my AxeFX (with the Mushok usually using an Orange Rockerverb amp model) into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (or RME Fireface 800 if I'm using my desktop) into Ableton Live 9. I use Superior Drummer 2 or BFD for drums, sometimes triggered with a Roland TD6SX electronic kit. Waves and Ableton for mixing/mastering plugins. Bass is either direct or through AxeFX, but I use Ampeg SVX and MarkBass plugins for the bass amp stuff.

Nearly all of the digital stuff here can be replaced with free plugins and sound fine, I just have a fast workflow setup that relies on certain features of each amp sim/plugin.

Back to pickups, I've never been disappointed with a Dimarzio pickup. Sometimes certain ones won't work for whatever style I'm doing, but none have sounded bad to my ears, so they're my go-to for replacing oem pickups.

8. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

Ive had extensive use of my Mushok with many different pickup brands/models. I have finally settled on a set of PRS 59/09s in mine as i found anything higher in DC output than that was pretty much mush, less output on lower tunings is a must for my setup. I settled on the 59/09s as they gave me the vintage to mid outputs i need and also they gave me enough aggression, but the subtle that i need in cleans.

I have had the Di Marzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire in it and that was way too much output, too aggressive for my set up, however the Crunch Lab in a ESP LTD EC-1000 in Drop B is massive in my setup. A Seymour Duncan SH-5 Duncan Custom/SH-2 Jazz was mud central, no matter what i used they sounded crap, the Jazz was damned anaemic as well, no balls. Air Nortons sound goos with gain, but are crap for cleans in the bridge, BKP Painkillers i found to have too much in the way of output, i could use it but it wasn't great for my needs. And i could not get EMGs to work at all in it.

The 59/09s work well, the right balance between modern aggression from the Alnico V magnet, but the vintage to mid output that the coils provide me. Balance and brilliance in all 5 positions, i upgraded to PRS USA switches, jacks and pots as well. It will give me what i need for modern metal high gain, and with a Hendrix Fuzz Face Mini a great stoner sound. It with 59/09s sounds grate with clean tones as well.

Id try to stick to lower output pickups if you have a 5150III, if you have a BKP fetish id say something like a Cold Sweat in the bridge and a Riff Raff in the neck? Thats if you want a decent balance of what i call a mid gain combination from BKP.

9. CVK85

CVK85 SS.org Regular

I found a used bnk aftermath real cheap. 14.7 k.. a little hotter than a 13.7 cold sweat. It was cheap so I'll throw it in and see how it is. I don't plan on using the neck much on this guitar, so leaving it alone for know. I'll keep you all updated.

I'd still like to hear from others who have this guitar, just in case.

10. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

Dominions!

11. Locrain

Locrain SS.org Regular

I have Bare Knuckle Black Dogs in mine. That's what Tim of Bare Knuckle recommends for these guitars. They are awesome! Tight, snarling, nasty mids, great cleans, amazing note separation. Probably the best pickups I have ever had.

12. CVK85

CVK85 SS.org Regular

How are they with way low drop tunings , with out a ceramic magnet? Ben from bmk actually recamend the aftermath, saying I should go ceramic. I did read good things from blackdog useres, but he said I should stick to ceramic for what I wanted to do with it.

13. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.

BKP black dogs. They are some mean pickups. reasonably tight without sounding even remotely thin, good thick mids, nice clarity without being overly bright. Only pickups I could recommend are the Dimarzio Titan that my friend has in an agile baritone LP style, and the Seymour duncan custom which I had the 7 string variant of in a baritone 7 and it was pretty mean too, although a bit more scooped sounding than I generally like.

14. Locrain

Locrain SS.org Regular

I am in drop A now, but I did use them in drop G. I think they are wonderful. I have not used an aftermath, so I can not compare. I think the black dogs are very tight in this guitar. But it should be said that I don't really care for super dry, tight pickups.

Honestly, with you listing Chevelle and Deftones, which is very close to what I play and listen to, I think the black dogs would be awesome. I am confused by the recommendation of aftermath, honestly. I have not played one, but my impression was that they were a more sterile and percussive pickup, compressed, with less dynamics. Really the opposite of what I think of when I think of the bands you listed.

The black dogs can do anything, and IMO have the best modern metal clip on the BKP site. I think they would be perfect for what you want, they are more than tight enough for anything, let alone chevelle. Very tight down this low, with wonderful sparkle and note separation.

Here is a recording I did through Amplitube 3 with my PRS mushok with the black dogs in it. Nothing special, but I think it proves they can get as heavy as you would need.

https://soundcloud.com/user218712932/chorus-thing-try-2

15. itll_be_ok

itll_be_ok SS.org Regular

Man, these black dogs sounds great.

I'd also recommend DiMarzio Dominions. I have a set in my Mushok PRS and i'm very pleased with them.
    Here's my short clip. Tuned to drop G#.
    https://soundcloud.com/itll_be_ok/prs-mike-mushok-baritone-dimarzio-dominion-test

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/itll_be_ok/prs-mike-mushok-baritone-dimarzio-dominion-test[/SC]

16. Locrain

Locrain SS.org Regular

I have dominions in a MMM1 baritone, and I don't like them. But they sound great in the PRS!

17. Rap Hat

You mentioned you're keeping the stock neck pickup, which is exactly what I did. Same reasons too, I don't use it that much (only with super low tunings though, I use the neck a ton on standard tuned guitars). While it doesn't sound amazing, the stock neck is definitely passable for most stuff. Kinda muddy, not the best gain, but when I want a fuller solo tone I'll switch to it.

I ended up wiring mine so the middle position is out of phase. I think I use that setting even less than the neck, but there have been a few times where it's come in handy.

18. JaxoBuzzo

JaxoBuzzo ....ing river pirate

Do you guys know much of anything about railhammer pickups? Like him, I'm also in the market. I've got a Japanese made Fender jaguar baritone on its way to me and I was thinking about dropping in a rail hammer Chisel.

19. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I may be a bit late to this discussion, but I actually have a Juggernaut in my 27" scale set-neck baritone (an LTD FB-600 Flame baritone).
    I love it, it is very crunchy and present and very tight. I have had a couple of pickups in this guitar over the years (SH-4, SH-5, SH-8, D-Sonic, ToneZone and BKP Holy Diver, Miracle Man), but this is the best match.

Ironically I sold a BKP Black Dog a while ago, but I was to lazy to test it in my baritone, plus I love the Juggernaut way too much to even think if changing it.

20. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Rolling with a black winter in one of my Ibanez mmm1 (c#), and a distortion in the other (a standard), they seem to go pretty hard to me, keen to try the black winter in a lower tuning also...