Help with first seven string.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by TomTom8theworld, Jun 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TomTom8theworld

TomTom8theworld SS.org Regular

I'm new to the world of 7-string guitars and was thinking about buying one soon, but i don't really know what to get as a first. I'm not really into ibanez and they're really all i've seen. i currently use a 6-string schecter and was thinking about getting a 7-string but they're so expensive! so i'm entirely sure on what to do. Any recommendations or advice? thanks in advance.

2. Mike

Mike The Traveler

howdy and welcome to the wonderful world of ss.org my friend.

Can you elaborate a little more on exactly what you're looking for in a 7 string guitar? i.e. Electronics, scale length, wood choices, hardware, price range. That can help us members better tailor suggestions to your needs.

I will go ahead and give you some suggestions any way though. As this will be your first, and most likely not your last, you may want to look used. Schecter 7 strings can be found used everywhere in the $250-$400 usd range. It's probably not too much different in the England. I had a hellraiser 7 for a while that I got used. An $850 guitar was only $400 used, not too shabby. Schecter Omens are affordable 7's, but if you want something a little better, I'd say save up a little more and get an ESP LTD MH417.

3. Bleach31

Bleach31 SS.org Regular

As he said, a little more info would help, and definitely check out the used market. If you were from the states I would recommend an Agile, as they can be had very cheap. The only downside is they seem to be hit or miss in the lower end and returns (from what I've gathered) aren't accepted outside of the U.S.

4. TomTom8theworld

thanks very much guys, i'll post back with the specifics in a bit :)

5. RickyCigs

RickyCigs Banned

Have you looked into the Damien or omen series schecters? They're priced pretty cheap.

If you want to really keep the spending down, there's an ltd that's only $200. I think it's the m-17

6. TomTom8theworld

i couldn't really find any info on my current guitar but it's a schecter sunset custom fr, the specs i've found on it are slightly wrong i think.

Body: mahogany
    Neck: mahogany, set neck
    fingerboard: rosewood
    frets: 24 jumbo
    scale: 24.75''

I'm not really bothered about pickups but i'd prefer a floyd rose bridge as i've used them since i first started playing and i use it quite often during solos and what not. when it comes to prices i'd say i'm willing to spend £300-£400 at the most, maybe a bit more depending on how much i have.

7. Bleach31

Bleach31 SS.org Regular

I don't know of many at that price range with a Floyd aside from Ibanez. You may be able to hunt something down used around that price.

8. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

My first seven string was a Schecter C7FR Hellraiser with a real Floyd Rose and EMG 707s. New, it's a $950 guitar, but I found it used for $500 with a case. You definitely can find a great used guitar in your price range, but you might have to be patient and check the classifieds frequently.

The Schecters (and other companies) also become more affordable if you get something like a Damien with a bolt on neck. Most people bash bolt on necks, but I kinda like them. I agree that a set neck or through neck is easier to play high up on the neck, I tinker with my electronics all the time. I really like being able to take the neck off and get it out of the way. It's also comforting to know I can replace it if it breaks, warps, or I just want to upgrade.

Some people will tell you that set necks resonate differently (which is true) and that affects your overall tone. I'm not saying it doesn't, but your pickups are only picking up the strings. While the resonance of your guitar does cause a slight acoustic feedback onto your strings, that difference can be more than made up my simply adjusting your tone knob, changing a filter capacitor value, or using different pots.

I'm sorry, I know that got a little off topic, but I think you'll get the best bang for your buck with a bolt on guitar of some sort.