Help with first bass, what do you think about this one?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by chopeth, Nov 2, 2019.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

What I look for:

- 5 strings
    - Cheap
    - Lightweight
    - Comfortable/good tone

a guitar player here, not planning to change my main instgrument, just wanted a neat bass to have at home to record music. I thought about this, what is your opinion, dear forumfellas?

Ibanez GSR205B-WNF
    • Body: Mahogany
    • Neck: Maple
    • Fretboard: Rosewood
    • White dot inlays
    • 22 Medium frets
    • 2 x Dynamix H humbucker
    • Phat II EQ
    • B15 bridge
    • Black hardware
    • Colour: Walnut Flat
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_gs...iLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0=

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's certainly not a bad bass.

Are you set on buying new, or is used an option? Usually for this task and price bracket I find used stuff to be the better option.

3. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

4. nedheftyfunk

nedheftyfunk SS.org Regular

Max is right, of course, that you'll get more bang for your buck on the second hand market, but I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago and bought one of the Sub Sterling Sting Rays (in a different colour):

https://www.thomann.de/gb/sterling_by_music_man_s_u_b._sting_ray_5_tbs.htm

It's amazing how good cheap instruments have become. There's nothing to really dislike about it and it's hard to understand how they can make a profit from selling them. Even the wood is beautiful.

If I was to buy a cheap bass again in the EU, however, I would probably get one of the own-brand Thomann Harley Benton Enhanced basses:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_enhanced_mj_5mn_natural.htm

Unlike their cheaper basses, they're made in Indonesia at one of the usual suspects factories, and the specs are silly for the money, including SS frets etc. Thomann has a good return policy, so if you do get a lemon, you can return it.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

5. MaxOfMetal

When it comes to cheaper basses, unless you budget to upgrade or replace the electronics, stick with passive electronics (no preamp).

The cheap preamps thrown in most entry-level basses are noisy, not very musical, and become just another point of failure.

6. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Yeah especially if you're just using it for recording where you're gonna probably be doing a ton of eq/processing to the sound anyway.

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Awesome recommendations. Thank you, friends!

8. GÜMERSINDO

GÜMERSINDO SS.org Regular

9. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

^what about the weight, Gumer? I'm very interested

10. GÜMERSINDO

Not the lightest thing in the market... swamp ash is a heavy wood. If weight is a concern for you, should check a warwick bass.

11. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I concretely meant your bass, mate. Swamp Ash is not a heavy wood, in fact it is the lightest. I know from experience, however if it is plain ash, yeah, it's heavier. Thanks again! ;)

12. GÜMERSINDO

You´re probably right, I don´t know anything about woods and luthiery, just talk from my personal experience.

I´ve had only three bass guitars (currently none); a Fender Jazz Bass (borrowed from an older cousin, my first instrument actually, I don´t know which wood was, proably adler) a cheap Ibanez Soundgear (the first instrument in bought, basswood) and the Ltd B405 (swamp ash). The ibanez was the lightest, the Fender was way much heavier and the Ltd in the middle.

Sometimes I jam with a friend who has a warwick corvette and I dare to say it´s the lightest bass I´ve ever tried. I wouldn´t rule out this brand.

13. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot mate, I hear you... Problem is ... I dont like the corvette aesthetically. Plus, I don't know if they are discontinued and look to me like a bit more expensive than the other options

GÜMERSINDO likes this.
  14. GÜMERSINDO

I don´t like corvette´s shape too, but the streamer rocks, hehe, probably my first choice if I eventually play bass again :)

chopeth likes this.
  15. MaxOfMetal

My recommendation is to always grab the best passive J-Bass you can afford. For recording it, and it's sibling P-Bass, is the gold standard.

It also helps that J-Basses, if built in the classic mold, have thin and narrow necks which makes adjusting from guitar that much easier.

The availability and price of aftermarket components is a pro as well.

Take a look at this: https://m.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_affinity_jazz_v_bsb_il.htm?o=1&search=1573052665

It might not be too fancy, but I've worked on a bazillion of these Squier J-Basses over the years and they get better and better each cycle. Obviously there are lemons, but as long as it's not a junker it'll be plenty serviceable out of the box.

If you want something a smidge better:
    https://m.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_cv_70s_jazz_bass_v_mn_nat.htm?o=18&search=1573052665

Those tend to have a little more pizzazz.

The one down side I'd say, if you're looking for something really light, these can be boat anchors. But nothing a good padded strap can't fix, and definitely comfortable while seated.

16. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Thank you very much for your expert advice, bros!

Gumersindo, you are right, I like the streamer shape a lot more, but it escapes my budget.

MaxOfMetal, you almost have me sold with the reliability of those axes, though too classic shaped for me until you said they are boat anchors. My back problems are quite big, after a couple of hours rehearsing with my band with my 6.5 lbs swamp ash and a good padded strap, it still aches like a bitch.. hell, I can't even sneeze without grabbing something to lessen the jolt, damned hernias!

Anyway, I think I'm going for the LTD B205SM for Christmas. Killer looks for my preference. I didn't notice at the beginning but my brand new bassist has a similar spiky purple model and I think it sounds good enough at the rehearsals too. The specs are not that bad, right?

• Body: Ash
    • Spalted maple top
    • 5-Piece bolt-on maple / rosewood neck
    • Fretboard: Roasted jatoba
    • Nut width: 45 mm
    • 24 Frets
    • Pickup system: ESP SB-5 set
    • Volume- and balance control
    • Active ABQ-3 EQ
    • Colour: Natural Satin

Thanks again!!

17. Screamingdaisy

Screamingdaisy SS.org Regular

If it’s for recording at home you could negate the weight by sitting with it on your lap.

18. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Personally, I'd skip the gio line and go one tier higher. The Ibanez SR basses are great value for money imo. Comfortable, light, not bad pups/tronics,.. Also I'm into buying used, if you don't like the bass, you could sell and don't lose much money over it.

Edit: I just read you are looking into an LTD B205, also a great choice, though a little heavier than an Ibby (I think). Same goes as with Ibanez: Ditch the entry level B105 and go for the 205. You won't regret that extra money you spend.
    I played an LTD B-5E for years and that bass was just awesome.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  19. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

being a 5-string bassist for years, i have to say the Classic Vibe series Squier has the best reputation among the abovementioned.
    a way better one.