Help with Dimarzio in a Squire Classic Vibe Tele!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Opion, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Hey all, it's been a while since i've installed my own pickups and the money's tight, so i'm trying to install a humbucker on my own this time around. Only problem is i'm doing it in a guitar completely different from what i'm used to: a Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster. After looking in the control cavity, this diagram is pretty accurate: only two wires come from each pickup.

[​IMG]

Here's the deal: i'm gonna throw in a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF in the Neck position for smooth jazzy goodness and fat rhythm tone. Only issue is, Dimarzio's come with more than 2 wires; if I recall correctly, the black & white are usually wired together, and the green is the ground, while the red is hot? There is only
    a black and a white wire coming from the neck SC; one goes to the volume pot, the other to the PU-selector. My dilemma is, which wires correspond to which in this case?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, and a riff will be riffed in your honor for those who can offer their knowledge. :bowdown:

2. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

In the stock form, the ground wire is going to the shell of the volume control, and the hot is going to the selector switch.

So your new dimarzio will be red > pickup selector, black and white spliced together, and green+shield(bare) > volume control shell. That will get you the standard series humbucker wiring for your new dimarzio.

Good luck, and enjoy your new pickup.:metal:

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Exactly this :yesway:

A 4 conductor humbucker can act as a 2 conductor by splicing the two coil wires (black and white in this case) together.