Help with DI/preamp

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Merrekof, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Fellow bassplayers,

I need some advice. Last month, my band played a gig and the soundguy told us to turn the amps down, to the point they weren't audible in the mix anymore. Now, I get that, it makes the guy's job a lot easier. He has full control of the sound in the room.

I play a Dingwall Combustion 5 with a Darkglass preamp and a Darkglass B3K clone (I built myself) going in a TC electronic RH450 with 210 and 212 cabs. I chose a lightweight amp and cabs because I used to have a heavy Hartke 3500 with 410 cabs. After our gig I was kinda bummed because why bring all that gear when you, theoretically, don't need it anymore. At a gig that is.

We have one more gig "to be confirmed" in the near future. What can you guys recommend using to go directly in the PA using my bass and that B3K (or another unit)
    I have to mention I really like the B3K sound. I've tried many before but this is the first one I actually like. I almost pulled the trigger on an EBS Microbass II but didn't really like the sound. The design of the Microbass III however is perfect, small, light, 2 channel with built-in tuner and a DI is basically what I'm looking for.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Bass -> B3K Clone -> Basic/Cheap DI Box

Since you have the B3K, you can probably go passive too.

If you need more coloration, you can't go wrong with a SansAmp.

3. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Cheap DI box as in passive DI box and not active? 'Cause in that case I might as wel drill some holes in an enclosure and wire some parts to an XLR output..

Edit: there are many active DI's out there. I'm also in the dark about thise since I never really used them myself or looked at them in detail.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, passive DI boxes are basically transformers in a box. Which is really all you need since you're using the B3K as a preamp.

I'd always go passive when using a preamp. You won't need the signal boost of an active.

5. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

The Darkglass tone capsule and B3K are both pretty hot outputs anyway so yeah, I'll look for a passive DI. Thnx