Help with an Ibanez. 2 Humbucker 1 push/pull coil split volume 4PDT toggle

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MatthewLeisher, Mar 18, 2018.

1. MatthewLeisher

MatthewLeisher Ghostmaker

Hey everyone. I recently bought an Ibanez RGDIX7MPB and I wanted to wire in a push/pull volume pot, but I've never worked with a 4PDT toggle switch before and it's defeating me. I just want that standard 3-way toggle wiring where up is the neck, middle is both and down is the bridge. Can anyone point me to a relevant wiring diagram? I tried searching the Ibanez site for a wiring diagram for this particular guitar, but I couldn't find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

If you just want normal switching, a 4PDT is overkill - You can wire it to do what you want, but you may also want to consider replacing it with a basic 3 way.

Here’s a switching diagram:

[​IMG]

I assume the stock 4PDT is for the sake of having split coils in parallel in position 2? If so, just unsolder the series connections (two wires joined together) from the switch; leaving only the single lead wires from the pickups soldered.

If this results in no signal in the middle switch position, then use the switching diagram to make sure two of the contacts used in that position get signal from some solder connecting them to the bridge and neck lead connections used in positions 1 and 3.

I assume you’re using the push-pull for splitting?

Note that I’m unfamiliar with the stock Ibanez switch or the active split coils used in the OEM Dimarzio Fusion Edge pickups - I may be totally wrong in my assumptions.